View Poll Results: Should RIM drop Blackberry name and Rebrand new BB10 phones

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No: Keep the name Blackberry and dump money into resurrecting the brand image.

24 85.71%
  • Yes: Too much bad baggage tied to the name Blackberry. Time for fresh start!

4 14.29%
    So the Blackberry name isn't what it used to be in the US. That is a fact. Those of us loyal to the brand love what Blackberry is about, but in the US smart phone market the Blackberry name simply isn't sexy and has a lot of negativity tied to it because of all the bad press these past couple years. How many times have you heard people say when they see your Blackberry "But I heard Blackberry is going out of business" because they don't really know RIM, they do know Blackberry. So here it is, should RIM stick with the name Blackberry for the new BBX/10 devices and try to change the US perception of the brand and dump a lot of marketing trying to resurrect the brand image, or should they make a totally new brand for these new "super phones" and market them as a totally new device group. Leave Blackberry as your BBOS messaging phones, and new Brand as your do that plus media, movies, apps, etc. Think of it like what Toyota did with Lexus because people wouldn't buy high end Toyota's in the US (they would in Japan).

Personally I think that they should rebrand. I think it would be less effort to make people want to buy something new and different than to try and make the name Blackberry sexy and desirable again in the US.
    01-29-12 07:45 PM
    It really doesn't matter what name it has, in my opinion. If they decide to start acting like a profitable company making competitive devices, everything will pan out.
    howarmat and Blacklac like this.
    01-29-12 08:42 PM
    RIM was once considered to be the top smartphone maker.

I think it's easier to resurrect a good name with top products. RIM probably won't sell OS7 phones in the US once BB10 phones gain traction in that market.

Lexus is upscale luxury. It made sense to differentiate it from regular Toyota vehicles. If a new dealer network was needed why not just make a new brand but still Toyota.
    01-29-12 08:44 PM
    It really doesn't matter what name it has, in my opinion. If they decide to start acting like a profitable company making competitive devices, everything will pan out.
    I agree.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-29-12 08:46 PM
    they should use a name nobody`s heard of, i mean thats the way to boost sales isnt it? like seriously? they have a huge userbase and (outside the US) a pretty good perception.

rebranding is possibly the silliest idea i have ever heard with a company so entrenched around the world. seriously, you`d have better luck with this thread on april 1st
    rrrebo and Barljo like this.
    01-29-12 09:04 PM
    Lexus is upscale luxury. It made sense to differentiate it from regular Toyota vehicles. If a new dealer network was needed why not just make a new brand but still Toyota.
    Right but for a while in Japan what was a Lexus here was still a Toyota here. The brand was started for the US market. Same with Acura and Infiniti. Eventually they started branding them in Japan once it had caught on elsewhere.

they should use a name nobody`s heard of, i mean thats the way to boost sales isnt it? like seriously? they have a huge userbase and (outside the US) a pretty good perception.

rebranding is possibly the silliest idea i have ever heard with a company so entrenched around the world. seriously, you`d have better luck with this thread on april 1st
    The world as a whole yes they are still respected and doing well, but in the US they are not. The name brand Blackberry has deteriorated in the US because of all the bad press. I understand that in the UK the name is still well respected so I can understand your point of view. I'm simply trying to throw out an idea for when the BB10 phones come out in the US. If it is the best phone ever, will people in the US and the media here give it a fair shake if it has the Blackberry name on it? If so great, but my concern is they won't.
    01-30-12 08:23 AM
    The world as a whole yes they are still respected and doing well, but in the US they are not. The name brand Blackberry has deteriorated in the US because of all the bad press. I understand that in the UK the name is still well respected so I can understand your point of view. I'm simply trying to throw out an idea for when the BB10 phones come out in the US. If it is the best phone ever, will people in the US and the media here give it a fair shake if it has the Blackberry name on it? If so great, but my concern is they won't.
    well you have to look at the down sides, no BBM, a completely new brand name that has no customer recognition and what does that say to current BB owers? its just not a good message at all.

its also worth remembering cadillac was considered great at one point, then suddenly they were `old peoples cars` (much the image issue honda had in some places too) yet now with their latest range they are again bucking that trend.

changing any brand name when it has consumer recognition is a hugely misguided idea. you lose all leverage, for example `new blahblah phone is very nice to use` verus `RIM release new BlackBerry, delivers competition beating specs`. with one you`ll simply dismiss it because its not BB, its not Wp7, its not iOS and its not android, whereas people will see a positive message on BB. either way, throwing away 75million users for a brand change would kill the stock price as even analysts would see how bad an idea it is.
    Barljo likes this.
    01-30-12 09:26 AM
    well you have to look at the down sides, no BBM, a completely new brand name that has no customer recognition and what does that say to current BB owers? its just not a good message at all.

its also worth remembering cadillac was considered great at one point, then suddenly they were `old peoples cars` (much the image issue honda had in some places too) yet now with their latest range they are again bucking that trend.

changing any brand name when it has consumer recognition is a hugely misguided idea. you lose all leverage, for example `new blahblah phone is very nice to use` verus `RIM release new BlackBerry, delivers competition beating specs`. with one you`ll simply dismiss it because its not BB, its not Wp7, its not iOS and its not android, whereas people will see a positive message on BB. either way, throwing away 75million users for a brand change would kill the stock price as even analysts would see how bad an idea it is.
    I see your point. I just hope that RIM does what is necessary to make the name desirable again in the US. They just can't dump the phone on the market and expect it to sell to anyone other than us loyal BB users. They will have to dump tons of marketing dollars behind it in the US and hire a marketing firm that can come up with better commercials than glowing bikes. They need to come out swinging and show why BB10 devices are better than the competition. This late effort to dump marketing dollars at BB7 devices in the US I feel is a huge mistake. It is just wasting money and further hurting RIM's image here IMHO.
    01-30-12 09:39 AM
    I see your point. I just hope that RIM does what is necessary to make the name desirable again in the US. They just can't dump the phone on the market and expect it to sell to anyone other than us loyal BB users. They will have to dump tons of marketing dollars behind it in the US and hire a marketing firm that can come up with better commercials than glowing bikes. They need to come out swinging and show why BB10 devices are better than the competition. This late effort to dump marketing dollars at BB7 devices in the US I feel is a huge mistake. It is just wasting money and further hurting RIM's image here IMHO.
    the irony, is thats exactly the WP7 approach, just throw marketing money at it.
    01-30-12 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD