Do you think it would be a wise business move for RIM to make a phone that would step it up even more than the expected QNX phone, at a very high price? Say....about $1000 off-contract or $500 with contract? Is there a large enough market for this?

Example:
    1080p video at least 30fps
    12mp camera with 3mp front camera
    1Gb app memory
    64 Gb internal storage
    Best cpu available
    2000+ mAh battery
    1024 x 600 display
    NFC
    Bluetooth 3.0+HS
    LTE
    4" screen
    All sensors

Or is it a bad idea because the software is limiting or very few will buy it?
    What do you think it would take to shell out this kind of $$$ on a phone?
    08-08-11 10:45 PM
    Do you think it would be a wise business move for RIM to make a phone that would step it up even more than the expected QNX phone, at a very high price? Say....about $1000 off-contract or $500 with contract? Is there a large enough market for this?

Example:
    1080p video at least 30fps
    12mp camera with 3mp front camera
    1Gb app memory
    64 Gb internal storage
    Best cpu available
    2000+ mAh battery
    1024 x 600 display
    NFC
    Bluetooth 3.0+HS
    LTE
    4" screen
    All sensors

Or is it a bad idea because the software is limiting or very few will buy it?
    What do you think it would take to shell out this kind of $$$ on a phone?
    With a battery that size it would weigh a ton. I think that the $699 iPhone 32GB cost is the maximum the market will take right now. Now if they released a 32GB version, with micro SD slot that could store content, then that would be cool, but whatever they make would need to be $699 or less. Also I don't see any carrier subsidizing a device by $500.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-08-11 10:51 PM
    This would be interesting but DAMN! $1000?! Lol
    08-08-11 11:02 PM
    plus it makes a mean latte as well.
    08-08-11 11:16 PM
    it would fail...no one is going to pay that price for something with those specs. You are almost to that point on specs right now
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-08-11 11:23 PM
    Thanks for your opinions guys! I also seem to agree that it wouldn't work. Maybe only a few thousand would sell and the economies of scale would never allow you to make any money. It's find it good to ask these types of questions at times.
    08-08-11 11:30 PM
    RIM may not do it, but don't rule out completely anyone from every doing something as vain and arrogant as this. If there's something thing that the stupidly rich can be counted on, it's to do things not because it's profitable or wise, but because they can, and we can't.
    08-08-11 11:45 PM
    I don't think a device with those specs needs to be $1000; $800 would be a niche market device, but if it really rocked, I could be popular, especially if it was still state of the art a year after release... Landscape slider perhaps? Dual touchscreen, front & back...
    Last edited by lorax1284; 08-08-11 at 11:54 PM.
    08-08-11 11:52 PM
    RIM may not do it, but don't rule out completely anyone from every doing something as vain and arrogant as this. If there's something thing that the stupidly rich can be counted on, it's to do things not because it's profitable or wise, but because they can, and we can't.
    LOL, that's what I was thinking. You know, like a phone that is just THAT much better than everyone else's. Even Bugatti managed to sell a car for around 2 mil. Why not the same in phones? Maybe just a normal bold 9900 but with stupidly high specs, platinum and mahogany and gold hardware for the super rich....the super rich would buy it just because they can...
    08-08-11 11:56 PM
    Have you guys never heard of the Vertu range? Buy Vertu Constellation Quadband Unlocked Phone (SIM Free) From Electronic Bazaar?

It does nothing but make calls - and it sells by the tens of thousands.
    08-09-11 12:08 AM
    No, RIM should stop humiliating itself with products like the Playbook and copying the iPhone. They should make phones that solve problems. Phones today are still extremely primitive and annoying to use, and it has nothing to do with shooting 1080p.
    08-09-11 12:28 AM
    Isn't there like a Gold BlackBerry in videos that sells for That much? I know I have seen it.
    darkmanx2g likes this.
    08-09-11 02:49 AM
    Between $400 and $600 is nominal for a smartphone. It's likely the same across many carriers and dealers alike. I see the same thing in carrier stores, walmart and zellers. EDIT: Including bestbuy, future shop, The Source by Circuit City/Circuit City, Radioshack, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD