Back on topic ...

My first instinct is to say that RIM should stick with the mobile markets, as the mainstream is already saturated with MS and Apple, and the fringe is pretty much satisfied with various flavors of Linux. However, looking at the direction OS-X and Windows seem to be headed, I'm tempted to want to rethink that position.
    03-04-12 01:19 PM
    Desktops and large laptops are becoming a thing of the past they should stick with high end tablets and hopefully get ones with 3 or 4 G.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Don't completely agree with this. The importance of desktops for all things may be diminishing, but there are some things that you will never be able to do better on a mobile device - including laptops - than on a large desktop. I would much rather compose large documents, for example, on a fat-arse wide screen display - dual displays, if possible - than on a laptop, never mind a tablet. Given any of my computing tasks, I would prefer doing all of them on a large display with a full keyboard and mouse. Aside from communications, my mobile devices are conveniences for doing a few things when I'm not in front of my computer; but they will never fully replace that computer.
    03-04-12 01:25 PM
    Computers, absolutely not.

SERVERS, most definitely I'm surprised they aren't in the biz already.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-04-12 01:27 PM
    I fully agree and you took the words right out of fingers.

Don't completely agree with this. The importance of desktops for all things may be diminishing, but there are some things that you will never be able to do better on a mobile device - including laptops - than on a large desktop. I would much rather compose large documents, for example, on a fat-arse wide screen display - dual displays, if possible - than on a laptop, never mind a tablet. Given any of my computing tasks, I would prefer doing all of them on a large display with a full keyboard and mouse. Aside from communications, my mobile devices are conveniences for doing a few things when I'm not in front of my computer; but they will never fully replace that computer.
    03-04-12 01:28 PM
    AGREE. Period.
    SF71 likes this.
    03-04-12 01:31 PM
    Well, we're thinking that a large display requires a desktop.

It once did.

It no longer does.

iPad, wireless to a little Apple TV on a 42" screen, is my day in/day out presentation device.

Other manufacturers will mimic this to some degree. One less argument for a desktop. Not that this ELIMINATES the need for a desktop, it GREATLY REDUCES the need.
    03-04-12 03:30 PM
    Computers, absolutely not.

SERVERS, most definitely I'm surprised they aren't in the biz already.
    You're right. But I guess for now, breaking the Win+RIM architecture is both a high commercial risk and a technical challenge.
    BUT, something like an "all-in-one-easy-config + low cost harware" solution for small to medium offices ... could rock the party.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    03-05-12 01:40 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD