I'm curious, Does anyone think RIM should make a computer? In my opinion they will have great success with it, if done correctly. Apple has the TRI-Fecta(Phone-Tablet-Computer) working and I think RIM must get something strong going. With the Playbook on its way to having major success and steam and the BBQNX(I refuse to call it BB 10 phones, they could do so much better) coming, RIM needs to start considering making their way into another sector of Tech. I would love to hear some thoughts on this. Good Idea? Bad Idea? Why?
    03-03-12 11:18 PM
    They should get their new phones out first.

Besides that, computers are now a commodity item. Even with apple, the desktop is a small part of their profits.
    Blacklatino, CDM76 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-03-12 11:24 PM
    Longer answer: No.

Profit margin for PCs makers are not very high. If they really want to go somewhere, they should get QNX in every new car, now that would be a good place to go.
    03-03-12 11:28 PM
    Everything is merging into functions of net providers. Their a computer company already!
    03-03-12 11:44 PM
    Yeah.. produce the promised goods first (OS10) then we talk about diversifying into other areas of computing...
    Rim should Stop self promoting about os10, bbx... Unless they are close to coming out.
    Last edited by guzprom; 03-04-12 at 04:14 AM.
    03-03-12 11:51 PM
    No need. We're coming into a generation where your mobile phone is a little computer in your pocket. I'm guessing tablets and our phones are the next evolution in computer devices.

And they're already in that market.
    03-04-12 12:34 AM
    No. I wouldn't want to see rim rush into making computers. To be honest, there is way toooooo much competition right now, most of it is the same thing with different pricing.

RIM is fine with the smartphone and tablet. Let them be. I wouldn't rush into any market if there was already too many. But if they have to, why not capitalize on the GNU/Linux market? Pushing free open source software (FOSS) would be a great damn excellent way to get it out into the consumer space and get more notices into it, which would mean future developers once they master it, assuming they have the knowledge. Windows has enough already, we need more GNU/Linux!
    03-04-12 02:07 AM
    No need. We're coming into a generation where your mobile phone is a little computer in your pocket. I'm guessing tablets and our phones are the next evolution in computer devices.

And they're already in that market.
    Fully agree.
    03-04-12 02:09 AM
    I've watched youtube videos where Bill Gates and Steve Balmer say tablets are PCs, so to them I'd assume they'd say RIM is in the computer business. I guess a better question would be should make a desktop computer. I'd say no since you could put your PB on a rapid charger craddle and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you pretty much have a desktop. I'm interested to see if and when they'll release a larger tablet.
    03-04-12 04:02 AM
    Building computers? No.
    Licencing QNX with a major computer brand ? May whose a try ... But only when BB10 is fully matured.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-04-12 04:04 AM
    I've watched youtube videos where Bill Gates and Steve Balmer say tablets are PCs, so to them I'd assume they'd say RIM is in the computer business. I guess a better question would be should make a desktop computer. I'd say no since you could put your PB on a rapid charger craddle and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you pretty much have a desktop. I'm interested to see if and when they'll release a larger tablet.
    I completely agree
    03-04-12 04:13 AM
    Isn't the mishandling of these beautiful BlackBerrys enough at the hands of rim?
    Then why on earth u want them to abuse the humble computers!
    03-04-12 07:48 AM
    Isn't the mishandling of these beautiful BlackBerrys enough at the hands of rim?
    Then why on earth u want them to abuse the humble computers!
    No blackberry was mishandled by RIM.
    03-04-12 07:49 AM
    1. HP is arguably the world's leading producer of personal computers

2. HP believes they should exit the computer business, as that commodity business does not produce market rates of return

3. Modern mobile devices are the key. I can display my phone or tablet on a TV of any size or projector wirelessly with a $99 device... fewer and fewer people will need what we call a "real" computer.
    03-04-12 07:56 AM
    No blackberry was mishandled by RIM.
    I m extremely sorry for my undignified remarks.
    Its jus so dumb of me to assume that missing deadlines is a critic. Oh me the little brain.

Thank u for enlightening me Mr. Genius of geniuses.
    03-04-12 07:57 AM
    Desktops and large laptops are becoming a thing of the past they should stick with high end tablets and hopefully get ones with 3 or 4 G.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    03-04-12 08:08 AM
    I m extremely sorry for my undignified remarks.
    Its jus so dumb of me to assume that missing deadlines is a critic. Oh me the little brain.

Thank u for enlightening me Mr. Genius of geniuses.
    I think you might have met stress testing (drops, water damage, bend tests), which MUST be done to assure it'll stand up to extreme abuse. (if it was a personal attack, I don't care)
    03-04-12 08:13 AM
    NO they shouldn't , they need to focus on getting back to the smartphone market , and when QNX is stronger and more stable , and when they get back their smartphone share , they should think about it .
    BTW ,aren't they already in the market with the playbook ??
    03-04-12 08:23 AM
    I'd love to see "BlackBerry" on my laptop instead of VAIO...

*Where's my sharpie?!*
    03-04-12 08:27 AM
    I think you might have met stress testing (drops, water damage, bend tests), which MUST be done to assure it'll stand up to extreme abuse. (if it was a personal attack, I don't care)
    Mr.Rootbrain,
    That was NOT a personal attack and I publicly apologize to u.
    But how on earth u can't see the mishandling of bbs.
    03-04-12 12:21 PM
    Mr.Rootbrain,
    That was NOT a personal attack and I publicly apologize to u.
    But how on earth u can't see the mishandling of bbs.
    By mishandling, what do you actually mean? Now I'm confused.
    03-04-12 12:25 PM
    By mishandling, what do you actually mean? Now I'm confused.
    1)They create a hype with their infamous "coming soon" statement for everything.
    2)They miss their deadlines.
    3)Their appworld is crap. I am Not toking about the apps itself but the Store/appworld.
    4)above all they are stubborn. They don't give a heck to the changing times but keep on iterating their security saga... Yaa, I know, I am a through admirer of secure communications--- I go through zillions of corporate mails daily--- but that's not all with which I or many like me can live.
    Come'on rim shake a leg; give a damn; just do something for heaven's sake.
    Last edited by husainpatan; 03-04-12 at 12:59 PM.
    03-04-12 12:57 PM
    1)They create a hype with their infamous "coming soon" statement for everything.
    2)They miss their deadlines.
    3)Their appworld is crap. I am Not toking about the apps itself but the Store/appworld.
    4)above all they are stubborn. They don't give a heck to the changing times but keep on iterating their security saga... Yaa, I know, I am a through admirer of secure communications--- I go through--- zillions of mails daily--- but that's not all with which I or many like me can live.
    Come'on rim shake a leg; give a damn; just do something for heaven's sake.
    That is changing. Not all appworld/market/app stores are the same or have the same in quality vs numbers.
    03-04-12 01:01 PM
    That is changing. Not all appworld/market/app stores are the same or have the same in quality vs numbers.
    First of all: I love BlackBerry.
    Its just the people who handle them are poking me--- yes, they are the same people who actually brought legacy to this device.
    BB10 is awaited with open arms and seems promising and that is the thing which those thinktank were supposed to do way back. Had they done this bforehand Android and iPhones wud have been tamed.
    PS: don't u think we have hijacked this thread.?!
    03-04-12 01:15 PM
    First of all: I love BlackBerry.
    Its just the people who handle them are poking me--- yes, they are the same people who actually brought legacy to this device.
    BB10 is awaited with open arms and seems promising and that is the thing which those thinktank were supposed to do way back. Had they done this bforehand Android and iPhones wud have been tamed.
    PS: don't u think we have hijacked this thread.?!
    Hijacking isn't my style lol (but yeah, end of this discussion)
    03-04-12 01:18 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD