Screen quality matters. Especially on getting icon on the PB for the app world, you can really see the pixels on the rounded chrome. Also, I find that Bill screens are not as bright as other's. I think would be a good selling feature to have a sharp, crisp screen.

Do any of you PB uses agree that the screen is not very crisp (or something)? It might just be mine...
    05-05-12 08:31 AM
    Sorry, autocorrect on my playbook haha.
    Getting should be "the"
    Bill should be "blackberry"
    05-05-12 08:32 AM
    They have already surpassed the Retina display with whats suppose to be
    their low end model Dev Alpha device. 1280x768 vs Retinas 960x640 Resolution.
    05-05-12 08:34 AM
    So the pixels would not be visible?
    05-05-12 08:42 AM
    Answers to op's title: NO.

Why: its important to be best first, competition will eventually , though Gradually, succumb.
    05-05-12 08:45 AM
    are you sure? I haven't calculated it but the screen size of the Dev Alpha device looks bigger than the 3,5" Iphones.

the 9900 have 287~ dpi which is way good enough.

And for tablets, I prefere not, the 2000x1500 with a 9,7" screen is way to much in my opinion as the screen (or the user) can not really use the high res (it would be to small) properly and higher resolutions mean more cpu/gpu power to process and the screen itself also needs more power too.
    05-05-12 08:53 AM
    iPhone is 326 dpi and the BB Alpha is 356 dpi. So yes the pixel density is higher on the BB Alpha.
    05-05-12 08:57 AM
    Yeah I believe its 4.2" calculates to 356dpi vs 326dpi
    300dpi is fine omg we used to be happy with like 200 lol
    05-05-12 08:58 AM
    So the pixels would not be visible?
    the importance of dpi depends in my opinion on the device/how it is meant to be used/how it is actually used.

I hold my phone when using it around 20 cm away from my face. On my 9900 I do not see any pixels but it has already high 287 dpi. When I get close to it that my eyes hurt focusing it I can see pixels. LOL

I hold my Playbook usually more than 30cm away and the "only" 160 dpi are really no problem. Of course when I look closer I see pixels, but not when I watching a movie on it.

My tft on my desktop pc has only ~ 90 dpi (standard I think) but I also see no pixels as I usually sit 50cm away of it.

Retina(tm) is just marketing, a "brand name".
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 05-05-12 at 09:06 AM.
    05-05-12 09:00 AM
    I would rather have longer battery life than better display

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    05-05-12 10:48 AM
    I would rather have longer battery life than better display

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    completely agree . what good is a screen if the battery dies and you cant see it anyway.
    05-05-12 10:53 AM
    completely agree . what good is a screen if the battery dies and you cant see it anyway.
    me too.

When I read correct, the "new Ipad" volume consists of 80% battery
    05-05-12 11:47 AM
    me too.

Lol! I can see it now Apple Fanboi's crying to the Apple Store or wherever they bought theirs from stating "My Ipad Died. I need to exchange it"

Geez, Apple is digging their own grave.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 12:03 PM
    Ok so "retina" is define by a screen with a high enough ppi that you can't see individual pixels. A good eye can't see object with a viewing angle smaller than 0.0003 radiant ( I knew this cause I just had my finals in optics). A good eye can't see in comfort any thing closer than 20 cm. So each pixel would be 0.006 cm horizontally which mean a 1280x768 screen of "retina" quality should be 5.066 inches measured diagonally. So the developer alpha beat "retina" hands down.
    Beside, its a trade mark. Apple can change it any time they want to.
    05-05-12 12:23 PM
    I think bb10 alpha has already surpassed retina.

Perhaps so will bb10 phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    05-05-12 12:28 PM
    I'd like to know the point of diminishing returns in terms of ppi. Boldkeyboardholic is correct to point out that it depends on the normal distance from the eyes at which one holds the device.

I hold my 9900 at about the same distance from my eyes as a book, i.e., about a foot away, or 30 cm. At that distance, the screen res of the 9900 is more than adequate. I mean that literally; I suspect that a lesser screen res would be as good for most purposes. But that's an empirical question, and I'm sure someone has already done the experiments and collected the data. I'd be interested in knowing the results.
    05-05-12 12:51 PM
    They should obviously BB10 is closing the gap

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    05-05-12 04:05 PM
    me too.

What! Interesting.
    Fanbois paid a fortune to buy zinc and lead wrapped in aluminum.
    05-05-12 04:43 PM
    Yeah but that is on a 4.2" device the iphone is 3.5 so it if surpasses the iphone it's not by much. Not to mention the OP was basing it off the pb resolution.
    05-05-12 04:46 PM
    I agree. RIM has an iconic device and does not need to be anything like the competition. RIM needs to focus on good marketing and innovation. I believe BB10 will be a great platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 05:02 PM
    IMO BB10 should have the highest dpi

With really high dpi the user could read tiny letters easier. People that hold the phone at a distance would find small text and web pages easier to read
    05-05-12 06:00 PM
    Yeah but that is on a 4.2" device the iphone is 3.5 so it if surpasses the iphone it's not by much. Not to mention the OP was basing it off the pb resolution.
    The Op asked "Should RIM compete with the Retina display?" and I showed him that we already surpassed Retina display. Not by much only 30dpi, but it is higher than a Retina Display on a bigger screen which is a plus.
    gorang likes this.
    05-05-12 06:17 PM
    The Op asked "Should RIM compete with the Retina display?" and I showed him that we already surpassed Retina display. Not by much only 30dpi, but it is higher than a Retina Display on a bigger screen which is a plus.
    Yeah surpassed it on a developer phone we will see what production models come with screen resolution wise
    05-05-12 06:24 PM
    No. Retina display was a gimmick and doesn't add tons of value to the device. In fact, they face some clear obstacles in terms of delivering content to 4G devices. Do you want to pay download a super huge magazine, or even a super big basic app, because theyve got to fill in all those pixels. Imo data isn't cheap enough to push a device out like this, and its unnecessary.

PB already beat the Ipad2 specs and no apple ppl complained.

I think Retina display was a short term win, long term lose for apple,as they didn't innovate with their device and allowed their competition to cover some ground.

People should remember, the tablet market is not even close to mature, we have several more versions of tablets to come out b4 it is. this war has just started. RIM is well positioned for the future.
    05-05-12 09:03 PM
    Yeah surpassed it on a developer phone we will see what production models come with screen resolution wise
    Production models will have the same screen resolution as the devAlpha

if they were planning on dynamic rendering they wouldn't have given 2 simulators given to all the JAM people 1 for PlayBook 1 for DevAlpha
    05-05-12 09:06 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD