I have the opportunity to trade my pearl for an 8830 - even trade from a person on my local Craigslist. I don't have ALL the details but I'm told the phone is less than three months old and in great condition. What do you all think? Should I do it? What questions should I ask besides making sure that she releases her PIN, etc. Thanks as always guys for helping me out!

She likes the size of the pearl, that's her motivation for the trade.
    04-16-08 09:57 PM
    First, what model is your pearl, 81xx?

If it is an 8120, and WiFi is something that you use fairly often, then I would not suggest it. Otherwise, given that the details work out and you're positive that you're not being scammed, go for it. A QWERTY keyboard is something to behold.
    04-16-08 10:25 PM
    I would do it but whatever works for u.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-08 10:28 PM
    Do you dislike your Pearl, or do you just really want a full Qwerty keyboard? Just my 2cents worth, but with myself, I always start by asking why I want to do something. If I'm not sure or can't say, I don't do it.

Both are good devices. The 8800 series is probably more of a workhorse, and the Pearl series is more like the nice sports car you only drive on the weekends. Both will get you where you're going, it's just a matter of which do you want to be "seen in"?
    04-16-08 10:28 PM
    First, what model is your pearl, 81xx?

If it is an 8120, and WiFi is something that you use fairly often, then I would not suggest it. Otherwise, given that the details work out and you're positive that you're not being scammed, go for it. A QWERTY keyboard is something to behold.
    My thoughts exactly..I love my 8800!
    04-16-08 10:30 PM
    Unless you're having a real problem with your pearl then you have no reason to trade it. Depending on the model, you could have GPS, or WiFi.

With the 88xx you won't have a camera, if that's important to you. Also, you may be taking a step down with the WiFi capabilities.

Think long and hard about this one my friend, choosing between any of the BB's is a tough decision. Best of luck, and godspeed.
    04-16-08 10:43 PM
    Assuming your profile is correct, and you are actually with T-Mobile, no, you should not make that trade. The 8830 is a Verizon phone and is only usable on the CDMA network when in domestic territory. Yes, it is a world phone, and it does have a SIM slot, but it only works on foreign GSM networks.

In other words, you will end up with a phone you can't use.

If I am mistaken, I sincerely apologize, but this is the information I know about the 8830. At least look into it before jumping in headlong.
    04-16-08 10:58 PM
    I wouls suggest sticking with your pearl & getting a curve as soon as you can
    04-16-08 11:12 PM
    Whether it's a compatible berry or not, that trade doesn't seem right.

Goodluck with your decision.

I wouldn't do it... my .02 cents
    04-16-08 11:43 PM
    Assuming your profile is correct, and you are actually with T-Mobile, no, you should not make that trade. The 8830 is a Verizon phone and is only usable on the CDMA network when in domestic territory. Yes, it is a world phone, and it does have a SIM slot, but it only works on foreign GSM networks.

In other words, you will end up with a phone you can't use.

If I am mistaken, I sincerely apologize, but this is the information I know about the 8830. At least look into it before jumping in headlong.
    Correct, the 8830 is not compatible with T-mobile. You need a 8800 or 8820 to work with T-Mob.
    04-17-08 12:13 AM
    I knew it was a good idea to check with my own sounding board! I appreciate all your feedback.

I have the standard pearl - no wifi or GPS. I am with T-Mobile so it sounds like the phone wouldn't work for me anyway and that would be silly now wouldn't it? Thanks again everyone!
    04-17-08 07:29 AM
    I would trade a pearl for a curve but not for an 8830 since you lose your camera. Also 8830 just like someone mentioned previously is a CDMA phone you cant use it on Tmo.
    04-17-08 07:34 AM
    I knew it was a good idea to check with my own sounding board! I appreciate all your feedback.

I have the standard pearl - no wifi or GPS. I am with T-Mobile so it sounds like the phone wouldn't work for me anyway and that would be silly now wouldn't it? Thanks again everyone!
    You're Welcome, that's what the Family of CB is all about. Helping each other.
    04-17-08 09:39 AM
    I would just for the Keyboard!! Though the style of the Pearl is very cute!
    04-17-08 09:42 AM
    I contacted the seller (trader) and thankfully she explained it wouldn't work for me since I have T-Mobile. Thanks to all my CB buddies!
    04-17-08 10:32 PM
    You can't go wrong with the 8830WE. Nice keyboard and it does everything u need and then some. Just no pics.
    04-17-08 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD