Good day all, I will get right to the point as suggested by the title. After quietly sitting behind the scenes reading every good bad and indifferent post about AT&T, RIM, and their collaboration on the "TORCH"...I am ready to jump ship with no life vest. It's not even about being on the right bus and/or wrong seat for me anymore...It's about should I even stay on this bus any longer.

This is my first post and hopefully many more to come with all my brother and sister RIM end-users; that is of course I got an unbiased factual opinion guidance and direction from those of you which choose to post replies. Haters need not apply!

Here's the deal...I was so amped up for the new OS 6 (currently have the bold 9000 right now) that when it came out I felt like...well...like I lost my best two friends. Let me explain, the commericals and Internet hyped the torch up but at the end of the day I fell back onto first principles with the device. $200 plus a 2-year contract with a steeped increase of $325/$350 early termination fee should I bounce stopped me dead in my track.

It's not that I cannot afford it...these days for me is about not trying to give my money away. My perspective has been what's comparable, can I get it for less, and what's in it for me (WIFM). I so am enamered by the droid but I hate to think I am giving up my keyboard and the best communication device ever for email and music. That's it; nothing more nothing less. Sure it's a bummer there's not a lot of practical useful apps out there for me but at the end of the day...its not about apps for me. I got a few I like and that's cool...I'm okay with that. If you can create me a star app like google sky maps I would sooooooooooo stay right put end of story but I digress.

So I said to myself okay I am not wet and excited about the torch get over it, and I did and that's when I felt I lost my best two friends (AT&T / RIM). Let me explain, you want the truth from my perspective; when this failed collaboration between both companies to produce what could have been a far exceeding device sales projection for both companies turned into attrition from EU's I morned the loss of two best friends.

Please don't get me wrong no matter how you spin it the torch is by far the best phone yet produced but at the end of the day it's not for me, and apparently many others too. It is what it is. Why I am morning is b/c there is absolutely no other device on the AT&T portfolio I would want to buy or you could give me in order to stay in my contract. So I am shopping my business elsewhere.

What sucks about this is that there are no other better RIM devices I want more than my bold 9000. The stereo speakers are awesome, it delivers my email to me better than any other device I had...and so b/c AT&T and RIM collaborated on the Torch they inadvertently forced end-users like myself to jump ship, get off the bus, or whatever other coined phrases one can use to denote taking their business elsewhere. Talk about being thrown underneath the bus?!

So I have 7-months left on my contract but have been contemplating going to an entirely new provider with an entirely new phone. I won't even mention who or what but you know the why now. So I called and asked if there are anymore RIM devices in the funnel to keep me onboard until my contract ends and of course there's no "memo" on that with the save team.

So I am asking you guys out here who have their ears to the grindstone if there's any whispers out and about that anyone could share before I bail on the two best friends I ever had.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ricardo_N; 09-16-10 at 02:50 PM. Reason: to make clearer
    09-16-10 02:46 PM
    I THINK U OUGHT TO RUN!!!!!FOR ME-I AS LIKE U-I LOVE MY TOUR-BUT IM READY FOR SOMETHING NEW-I NEVER HAD A TOUCH SCREEN-SO I WANT A 100% TOUCH SCREEN-LOOKS LIKE ILL B GOIN TO HTC-BUT I WANT TO STAY WITH BLKBERRY,BUT THE TORCH-MAN I NO-WE AS N RIM-CHOULD HAVE BETTER THEN THAT-AND IM JUST DOWN RITE MAD WITH RIM-HTC,IPHONE,AND OTHERS R MAKIN ALL THESE PHAT PHONES-WITH FROYO 2.2-AND SOON GINGERBREAD-2 CORE PHONES-IM CAN UP GRADE AS SOON AS I WANT TO-SO IM GIVEN RIM UNTIL JAN-2011-IF THEY DONT COME OUT WITH SOMETHING THATS GONNA WOW!!!!! ME-THEN IM GONNA DO WHAT IM TELLN U-RUN!!!!!!-AND I LIKE YR WIFM-WHATS IN IT FOR ME-THATS TIGHT--HOPE U DONT MINE ME USEIN IT-IF U DO MINE--OOOOH WELL!!-COS IM USEIN IT ANYWAY--LOl :-)-------GOD BLESS
    09-16-10 04:03 PM
    I cant even read all your capital letters. Fix that up man, that's horrible to try and read. I don't know if it's the grammar or the capitals. Just....fix it.
    09-16-10 06:53 PM
    Hey Ricardo. I'm in the same boat as you, just not as far along. I too am waiting on a device that can compare to the Droids or iPhones. I figure I have a year left on my contract and am going to patiently wait to see what happens. If RIM can actually put out a phone to compete with these other leaders than I will gladly pay the no contract price. I will pay almost any price for a BlackBerry that is as good or better than the current and future Droids and iPhones.
    So RIM has one year to convince me to stay.
    As I've said before, I think RIM is just sticking with their business customers and providing them with bare bones, no bells and whistles....boring phones. As I've also said, i LOVE BB but I seriously think...KNOW they will be nowhere on the sales and popularity map in 5 - 10 years if they keep ignoring and somewhat spiting everyone, including their customers who love them.
    So, hopefully in one year and KILLER phone will hit the market. If not....DONE, IM GONE!!!
    09-16-10 06:58 PM
    Looking for the killer phone or the best phone is a myth. No such thing. Even of you think you have the Best phone right now. Wait six months and there's a newer one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 07:04 PM
    This certainly did not belong in BlackBerry News and Rumors. Moved.
    09-16-10 07:11 PM
    I just jumped to android and RIM really needs to step things up a couple of notches in order to lure me back. Not only will the devices they have out next september have to trump the current crop of android devices (hardware and software) but they'll also have to trump the next generation of android devices that might be out then.

I would love to come back to BB one day, but they're going to need to step things up. The only thing I miss is BBM...
    09-16-10 08:36 PM
    All I can say is I have used a Moto Droid for a few weeks and the real keyboard it has is sorry in comparison to the Bold 9000. You have been fed the best food ever for a real keyboard. No others will compare or even come close to the speed and feel of the 9000 keyboard.

I too thought a touch screen would be great, but it is not for me. I hate to have to clean it all the time from fingerprints and such. Perhaps a matte finish screen would have been better. I also found using swipeit for the Droid was not as fast as a real keyboard. And little things like a long hold on a key will capitalize that letter, is such a small thing that goes a long way for making the BlackBerry so great. I may be a Kool-Aid drinker and crackberry type, but I truly lusted after the N1 and the Moto Droid(loved the way it reminds me of the monolith in 2001) for so long, and actually have the Moto Droid. Long story on that, but it is an "extra" phone of a family member so I have it and use it. I want to use it, but it does not let me work the way I do. I have the feeling about Android that many do about BlackBerry; that it is stifling and I must use it the way the OS wants, not the way I want.

I have a BESX set up at work so my email is instantaneous. The instant backup, if you will, of email, schedules and contacts is great. And I do also use Gmail on the 9000 for my personal emails.

Email is a huge deal for me, and surprisingly, the Exchange based email on Android was terrible, the html formatted email, which everybody now sends, is not well handled, however on the 9000, it looks much better.

In short, BlackBerry gets done what I need done. I am not a social fanatic with twits (tweets?), facebook and such, so that stuff for Android does not do it for me. I know I have been on BlackBerry for a while, but in trying to get efficient with Android, I just could not do it. I know there are a zillion tiny things in how BlackBerry OS is put together that make it super efficient for me. I think you may not be so happy on the other side, but if you go there and like it, great, if not, make sure to come back in that first 30 days!

I did have a chance to check out the Torch and I have to say, I cannot wait til january or so when I can upgrade to it. I know I'll miss the larger 9000 keyboard but a bigger screen and the touchscreen will be nice. To me a touchscreen is not fast nor efficient, but at times it would be a nice extra. There were a few times on the Droid that the touchscreen was really nice, but mostly no big deal. The touchscreen on the BlackBerry Torch is a true enhancement for how I use a smartphone and that is why I think the Torch is great for me.

In conclusion, you need to decide what is right for you. You do have options and you will have 30 days to play with a new device to see if it fits your ways. I really am not all that concerned with what phone is cool or newest, I just want a device that does cellular calls well and can take care of my email and my grocery list.

Good luck with it and do let us know what happens and how it goes for you.

09-16-10 09:02 PM
    I cant even read all your capital letters. Fix that up man, that's horrible to try and read. I don't know if it's the grammar or the capitals. Just....fix it.
    I think it's a little of both. Some people don't know that using caps is poor internet ettiquette (it's considered yelling) and really hard to read.
    09-17-10 05:29 AM
    Looking for the killer phone or the best phone is a myth. No such thing. Even of you think you have the Best phone right now. Wait six months and there's a newer one.

Exactly right and adding to that, about the time you finally get that new phone, the next new and better will come out probably within days or weeks of what you just bought.
    09-17-10 05:33 AM
    Exactly right and adding to that, about the time you finally get that new phone, the next new and better will come out probably within days or weeks of what you just bought.
    Thanks for agreeing.
    And it's not just limited to phones. It's technology in general. Lap tops, ipods/mp3 players, TV blu-ray players etc etc

09-17-10 07:25 AM
    I agree that most normal folks can't afford to chase technology around too much and always have the absolute latest and greatest whatever it is they're buying. They do need to be careful that they do purchase whatever suits their needs the best at the time they're buying, and hopefully they've chosen wisely enough to be happy for a year or two until they can switch to the next "best thing ever"...
    09-17-10 08:12 AM
    One thing to remember is that if you do "jump ship", there will still be the price of the new device, possible new data limits/plans (if you stay with AT&T and switch from BB, you'll have to go onto one of their new data rate plans), and almost every carrier now has the higher EFT rates.

I do think it is interesting that there are so many people who like the larger Bold 9000 format, yet no replacement has been made (other than the smaller 9700 line). Of course, the 9780 is right around the corner, which would give you a 9700 with newer features, more memory and BB6.
    09-17-10 08:40 AM
    Good day all, I will get right to the point as suggested by the title. After quietly sitting behind the scenes reading every good bad and indifferent post about AT&T, RIM, and their collaboration on the "TORCH"...I am ready to jump ship with no life vest. It's not even about being on the right bus and/or wrong seat for me anymore...It's about should I even stay on this bus any longer.

This is my first post and hopefully many more to come with all my brother and sister RIM end-users; that is of course I got an unbiased factual opinion guidance and direction from those of you which choose to post replies. Haters need not apply!

Here's the deal...I was so amped up for the new OS 6 (currently have the bold 9000 right now) that when it came out I felt like...well...like I lost my best two friends. Let me explain, the commericals and Internet hyped the torch up but at the end of the day I fell back onto first principles with the device. $200 plus a 2-year contract with a steeped increase of $325/$350 early termination fee should I bounce stopped me dead in my track.

It's not that I cannot afford it...these days for me is about not trying to give my money away. My perspective has been what's comparable, can I get it for less, and what's in it for me (WIFM). I so am enamered by the droid but I hate to think I am giving up my keyboard and the best communication device ever for email and music. That's it; nothing more nothing less. Sure it's a bummer there's not a lot of practical useful apps out there for me but at the end of the day...its not about apps for me. I got a few I like and that's cool...I'm okay with that. If you can create me a star app like google sky maps I would sooooooooooo stay right put end of story but I digress.

So I said to myself okay I am not wet and excited about the torch get over it, and I did and that's when I felt I lost my best two friends (AT&T / RIM). Let me explain, you want the truth from my perspective; when this failed collaboration between both companies to produce what could have been a far exceeding device sales projection for both companies turned into attrition from EU's I morned the loss of two best friends.

Please don't get me wrong no matter how you spin it the torch is by far the best phone yet produced but at the end of the day it's not for me, and apparently many others too. It is what it is. Why I am morning is b/c there is absolutely no other device on the AT&T portfolio I would want to buy or you could give me in order to stay in my contract. So I am shopping my business elsewhere.

What sucks about this is that there are no other better RIM devices I want more than my bold 9000. The stereo speakers are awesome, it delivers my email to me better than any other device I had...and so b/c AT&T and RIM collaborated on the Torch they inadvertently forced end-users like myself to jump ship, get off the bus, or whatever other coined phrases one can use to denote taking their business elsewhere. Talk about being thrown underneath the bus?!

So I have 7-months left on my contract but have been contemplating going to an entirely new provider with an entirely new phone. I won't even mention who or what but you know the why now. So I called and asked if there are anymore RIM devices in the funnel to keep me onboard until my contract ends and of course there's no "memo" on that with the save team.

So I am asking you guys out here who have their ears to the grindstone if there's any whispers out and about that anyone could share before I bail on the two best friends I ever had.

Thanks!
    I stopped reading after that.

Seven months is a long time away, and as the previous poster above me said technology changes every six months. This does not mean that At&T/RIM will come up with a device that you will like, but they will certainly have couple of new devices until your contract is up. Check out the blackberry devices and rumor section, they list of upcoming new devices. For example, 9780 (fact), clamshell (fact), storm 3 refresh (fact), storm 4(rumor), bold 9000 format with touchscreen (rumor)
    09-17-10 09:18 AM
    ...and so b/c AT&T and RIM collaborated on the Torch they inadvertently forced end-users like myself to jump ship, get off the bus, or whatever other coined phrases one can use to denote taking their business elsewhere. Talk about being thrown underneath the bus?!
    Now, you see, comments like that makes absolutely no sense to me.

AT&T and RIM collaborate on a device that is less than impressive... and that somehow "inadvertently forces" you to jump ship?

What? Did they hold a gun to your head?

Who the heck cares?

Duds come out of every company from time to time. Even Apple's had a few over the years.

Why is that suddenly the end all scenario when you've been apparently perfectly happy with things before that?

It's only a phone for Pete's sake.

I guess I just don't take such things so personally. The last time I did was when Coca-Cola put out "New Coke". I got over it.

I've been doing just fine with my 8100 Pearl going on 4 years now with AT&T. I wasn't impressed when they put out the Pearl Flip, but I didn't feel the need to "jump ship" over it. I remember when this Torch first started making the rumor rounds earlier this year. I didn't much care for it then, and it never grew on me, so I was never emotionally invested in the thing.

Do I want to upgrade?

Sure.

But the phone I want is the new Pearl 3G, and AT&T doesn't carry it yet - more because, as I've been reading recently, RIM is the one holding it back from them for some unknown reason.

Will I jump ship over that?

No.

I'll keep my old Pearl because it still does all the things I need - home and work email, keeps my calendar and contacts, actually still works well as a phone, and I plug along browsing the internet in good ol' EDGE slowness. All the things a want - GPS, 3G, and WiFi are on the new Pearl, so I'll just wait. I love the form-factor of the Pearl, which is why I'm waiting on it. There is no other phone that is like it. Although, the Bold is a close second option I've been considering for a while, it's just a wee bit bigger than I really want.

Also, I don't want to lose my current unlimited data plan.

My suggestion mirrors an earlier post. You still have 7 months (that takes you into next spring - lots can happen in the time). I assume your data plan is the unlimited variety as well. Those are going away with other carriers soon too. At least with AT&T, you know where they stand with grandfathering existing plans. Just something to consider.

Last edited by joeldf; 09-17-10 at 12:10 PM.
    09-17-10 12:06 PM
    I have to argue against the premise that any company forces anyone into any behaviour so long as they still produce a certain item. Your choices are - remain with 9000, 9700 or Torch for AT&T, several other phones from various platforms at AT&T, or a vast number of phones and platforms elsewhere.
    There are choices, no one is forcing anyone into any action.
    It's simple - decide what you want most and go get the device that gives it to you.
    As others have said, you will only have the latest and greatest for a few months. Then your choice - which is your prerogative - is to plunk mone on the newest newest or be satisfied with your own personal decision.
    Neither RiM nor AT&T has control of your finances.

09-18-10 10:22 AM
    If you can afford it, like some members in this forum ( KEviN) then upgrade your phone every 6 months. Just buy it at no commitment pricing. And don't just buy blackberries. Try other phones like iphones, samsung and even panteck

09-18-10 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD