I had to do a warranty replacement due to trackball problems. My refurb had an updated OS and was nicer than the pearl I was sending back. Absolutely no problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 01:09 PM
    whats the major difference between a refurbished unit and a Brandnew one?
    Warranty! A new phone
    has 1 year.
    05-03-09 01:50 PM
    Warranty! A new phone
    has 1 year.
    And the refurb replacement still has the time remaining warranty of the 1 year.

05-03-09 01:51 PM
    well alot of companies feel warranty justifies refurb....just like tv's I sure would hate to be back under contract just b/c of that
    05-03-09 01:53 PM
    I had to do a warranty replacement due to trackball problems. My refurb had an updated OS and was nicer than the pearl I was sending back. Absolutely no problems.

My Pearl replacement was brand new out the box- since I'm so anal, they bought the entire box to me so I could see that was the phone I was getting.
    As far as refurbs, I've rec'd some that were better than the one replaced and I've rec'd some that should have gone in the trash and never sent to anyone.

I've been present in the store listening to irrate cusromers that rec'd refurbs which seemed to come in the door and go right out to the next person that called for a warranty replacement.

I realize no company is perfect and things like this do happen quite often.
    05-03-09 01:56 PM
    I posted on Friday about my BB going over the side of the boat and ATT has a new not refurb phone on the way that should get here Monday before 3pm
    05-03-09 01:56 PM
    And the refurb replacement still has the time remaining warranty of the 1 year.

I'm pretty sure that AT&T refurbs only have a 90 day warranty.

Remember a while back AT&T had a special offer on refurbed Bolds? My supervisor was going to get one but changed her mind when she read that the refurbs only came with a 90 day warranty.
    Last edited by xliderider; 05-03-09 at 02:06 PM.
    05-03-09 01:59 PM
    That may be if you purchase a refurb. If you are sent a refurb for a warranty exchange, you still get your 1 year warranty.

05-03-09 02:06 PM
    That may be if you purchase a refurb. If you are sent a refurb for a warranty exchange, you still get your 1 year warranty.

That could be, but why have two separate policies depending on if you purchased the refurb or not? It still doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the refurb if it only has a 90 day warranty IMO.
    05-03-09 02:09 PM
    I also thought warranty exchanges gave you a yr.
    05-03-09 02:10 PM
    I also thought warranty exchanges gave you a yr.
    No.

For example, I got my Bold in November. I got an exchange recently. I still have 6 months of warranty left. I can get as many warranty exchanges as I need in 6 months.

If you buy a refurb with a 90 day warranty and need to do a warranty exchange, the newer refurb once again has 90 days. This can happen up to a year.

05-03-09 02:12 PM
    The warranty exchange is through rim. The warranty on the purchased refurb is through your carrier I would assume. Also, you are not locked into a contract and you are not paying full price. I can understand the difference.

05-03-09 02:13 PM
    No.

For example, I got my Bold in November. I got an exchange recently. I still have 6 months of warranty left. I can get as many warranty exchanges as I need in 6 months.

If you buy a refurb with a 90 day warranty and need to do a warranty exchange, the newer refurb once again has 90 days. This can happen up to a year.

4~ so each refurb gets its own 90 days as opposed to an exchange which runs off the original activate date up to a year?

That doesnt sound fair- here's an example I'm making up...Let's say your Bold was exchanged in the 11th month, then the newer one would only get 1 month of warranty since the original was activated 11 months ago.
    05-03-09 04:09 PM
    I had a TMo pearl (bought February 14 2007) that died in it's 11th month (January 26, 2008). The replacement I got (Feb 1, 2008) said I had the remainder of my original warranty or 90 days, whichever is greater. So the original warranty expired on Feb 14, 2008, but I could still get the replacement, replaced through April 30, 2008 (90 days after receipt of replacement and 75 days after the original warranty expired).
    05-03-09 04:28 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD