Currently i have a Nokia. It works fine, but don't expect to much of it.

My BB 8520 is gone. Simply, it wasn't really resistant when it fell on the floor, this happend frequently and bumping into stuff where your BB takes the full hit. It was getting slow, slower until it just went slowpoke.

- I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account
    - Heavy texter (what's app and normal text)
    - Long battery life would be awesome..

What device would you guys recommend?

Oh..i'm against Iphone and Android
    07-31-12 04:39 AM
    What kind of Nokia do you have?

You might want to take a look at the new Curve 9320:
    It has a very decent 1450mAH battery (compared to 1000mAH of 9360 or 1200mAH of Bold 9900), comes preloaded with the latest OS 7.1 and is currently the cheapest model on the market. Downsides are rather small display resolution (320x240 compared to 480x360 or even 640x480), "Curve" keyboard and all-plastic built quality. Since you tend to drop your phone often, you might want to consider a decent case to protect your device.
    Alex_Hong and sleepngbear like this.
    07-31-12 04:54 AM
    What kind of Nokia do you have?

You might want to take a look at the new Curve 9320:
    It has a very decent 1450mAH battery (compared to 1000mAH of 9360 or 1200mAH of Bold 9900), comes preloaded with the latest OS 7.1 and is currently the cheapest model on the market. Downsides are rather small display resolution (320x240 compared to 480x360 or even 640x480), "Curve" keyboard and all-plastic built quality. Since you tend to drop your phone often, you might want to consider a decent case to protect your device.

I bought a Nokia C5-00.2, just to bridge the period and to look out for something that fits me. Got it 3 months, dust came under the screen (no warranty for that), so i opened it and then the screen cracked. O well.

What about the 9900? Looks good to.
    07-31-12 05:01 AM
    Currently i have a Nokia. It works fine, but don't expect to much of it.

My BB 8520 is gone. Simply, it wasn't really resistant when it fell on the floor, this happend frequently and bumping into stuff where your BB takes the full hit. It was getting slow, slower until it just went slowpoke.

- I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account
    - Heavy texter (what's app and normal text)
    - Long battery life would be awesome..

What device would you guys recommend?

Oh..i'm against Iphone and Android
    A Motorola flip phone would be perfect for you. Get a StarTac. Very cool!!
    07-31-12 05:07 AM
    I second Taigatrommel's opinion. The new curve 9320. With a bigger battery and physical keyboard, you'll be pretty happy. Especially if you don't use much apps, the battery life should be pretty good. My 9360 with the smaller battery is already pretty good.

Since you're not into iOS or Android, and Palm doesn't have whatsapp. The other option would be Windows phone. But since you're a heavy texter and not into social networks, there's not much point in that, unless you want games and apps.
    07-31-12 05:55 AM
    I second Taigatrommel's opinion. The new curve 9320. With a bigger battery and physical keyboard, you'll be pretty happy. Especially if you don't use much apps, the battery life should be pretty good. My 9360 with the smaller battery is already pretty good.

Since you're not into iOS or Android, and Palm doesn't have whatsapp. The other option would be Windows phone. But since you're a heavy texter and not into social networks, there's not much point in that, unless you want games and apps.
    Awesome, thanks.

Now, anyone suggest a case or a skin?
    07-31-12 06:31 AM
    Well the Bold 9900 of course is not without reason RIMs current flagship device:
    Touchscreen, rather high screen resolution, awesome keyboard, rather large 2.8" screen, decent materials and built quality, best internal hardware. However it comes at a hefty price, it costs twice as much compared to the 9320.

There aren't many cases for the 9320 yet, since it is pretty new. However RIM itself offers two different softshells which might be worth a look.
    07-31-12 06:39 AM
    You may as well wait for the BlackBerry 10 smartphones announced for next year. There is no reason to jump into the fray if your current smartphone suffices for the short term. If the BlackBerry 10 smartphones are as smooth in functionality as the BlackBerry PlayBook you will be happy to have waited a few months.
    07-31-12 06:40 AM
    You may as well wait for the BlackBerry 10 smartphones announced for next year. There is no reason to jump into the fray if your current smartphone suffices for the short term. If the BlackBerry 10 smartphones are as smooth in functionality as the BlackBerry PlayBook you will be happy to have waited a few months.
    But it has touch keyboard?
    07-31-12 06:53 AM

The first one would. Then keyboard version should be coming out soon after.
    07-31-12 06:57 AM
    Yes, the BlackBerry 10 smartphones will release both an all-touch version and a physical keyboard version at the same time according to the Grand Poobah Thorsten Heins.
    07-31-12 06:58 AM
    Yes, the BlackBerry 10 smartphones will release both an all-touch version and a physical keyboard version at the same time according to the Grand Poobah Thorsten Heins.
    I hope it's not this design..

Cause thats just plain ugly
    07-31-12 08:11 AM
    Sounds like you're not a 'heavy' user, so I too agree with Taigatrommel, in that the new Curve would probably perfectly fit your needs. The 9900 is nice with the touch screen, but the Curve will give you much better battery life. The 93** series also has NFC.

As for the design pictured above, anything out right now is just a renderings from a few very active imaginations. I don't think anybody outside of Waterloo knows what the first BB10 phones will look like.
    07-31-12 08:23 AM
    I hope it's not this design..

Click to view quoted image

Cause thats just plain ugly
    That looks hot.The problem with phones like this though with a keyboard is that the screen is too small. No one likes small screens which is why RIM is losing market share and subscribers.
    07-31-12 11:01 AM
    That looks hot.The problem with phones like this though with a keyboard is that the screen is too small. No one likes small screens which is why RIM is losing market share and subscribers.
    I'm glad we dont have the same taste.

Also, besides that. I'm going to get myself a 9900...I think.

I looked the 9320 up but it was so..powerless?
    07-31-12 11:20 AM
    When talking about BB10 you should also keep in mind those devices will start as flagship devices - thus will cost somewhere between 500 and 600,-$ off contract.
    07-31-12 11:20 AM

Well there is a reason why the 9320 is available for just under 190,- while the 9900 still sells for well over 400,- off contract
    07-31-12 11:29 AM

Your fingers will thank you for getting the 9900. It's keyboard is pure luxury bar none. I would also recommend you get a spare battery just in case.
    07-31-12 11:55 AM
    Your fingers will thank you for getting the 9900. It's keyboard is pure luxury bar none. I would also recommend you get a spare battery just in case.
    Absolutely true. But the OP mentioned long battery life, which the 9900 really cannot boast. If that is more of a nice-to-have and not a must-have, and the cost is not prohibitive, the 9900 is definitely the way to go. It is sheer mobile typing bliss.

I would not recommend waiting for BB10, because:
    1 - it's still at least 6 months out
    2 - the first BB10 devices will be high-end, which it sounds like the OP doesn't need (I don't need it either, and will likely stay with my 9900 until it dies, just fyi)
    3 - we have no idea what the first BB10 physical keyboard will look or feel like. It should be the cat's backside; but we know that the 9900 already is.
    07-31-12 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD