Hey everyone!

I currently have an HTC Evo on Sprint, had it since it launched in July and I really do enjoy the phone. I had a Tour before it and my main gripe with it was that damn ball, which ended up breaking completely a month before my upgrade so I was stuck using the keyboard shortcuts. Before that the ball kept getting stuck almost everyday and I had to do the cotton ball+ alcohol method atleast 5 times on it as the rubbing on the tshirt did nothing after a while.

Now that the new BBs are all loaded with the trackpad I find it to be much easier. I enjoy my Evo as its very fast (rooted), great browsing and some games but thats about it. I dont really utilize the multi-media advantages as I don't normally take a lot of videos, and such. I also don't really download a lot of apps anymore either as I mostly text, email, and use the internet occasionally. (One of my main concerns about the Style is will I get pissed off about the internet browser or is it capable of occasional forum browsing and such?).

My major gripes with the Evo is the battery, and lack of physical keyboard. I find it takes me so much longer to text with a touch screen and I end up making so many errors that I can't be arsed to fix as it takes long enough already. The batter dies within a couple of hours. One day I was laying on my couch on FB chat and text for an hour and a half and my battery was down to 25%. I end up having to charge the phone at about 7 everyday or lower the brightness, put it on vibrate and really minimize my usage of it.

Since the Style is pretty cheap, I am wondering if I should do the Sprint buy-back program which is telling me 135$ on the website, and pay the difference as my upgrade is in July. (Not sure if I will still have it with the rumored Premier Customer changes)?
    02-01-11 12:24 AM
    I'm not sure what to tell you, because I think most of the time, people either like BB or they don't. Personally I think you would like the Style, & the browsing is very good on it to me. If all u hated was the "ball" on the Tour, u should like the Style WAY better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 12:36 AM
    I'm not with Sprint, I did go to a Sprint store and played around with the display model, I thought it was pretty good device. I've heard some good things about the Style.
    02-01-11 12:39 AM
    I had an EVO for about 6 months and recently switched back to BB primarily because of the keyboard. I used the Style for about a week (ended up sticking with my Bold) and it is a great phone. The browser is a huge step down though from what you're used to with the EVO. It can be extremely frustrating at times if you spend much time on line but I think the keyboard and overall BB features make up for it.

Don't expect a huge improvement in battery life though. I don't know if it's the new operating system or what but if I am doing much browsing or streaming media (Pandora, Iheartradio,etc) it dies just as fast, if not faster then the EVO. My EVO was rooted and I found a great ROM/Kernal that gave me great battery life.

Although the battery drains just as fast one big advantage is it charges significantly faster. 20 minutes on the car charger tops it off whereas the EVO on a charger for 20 minutes probably didn't add 5%.
    02-01-11 03:28 AM
    Get a Bold 9780. It has the best / highest capacity battery out of the box.

It has a very good physical keyboard and a very nice form factor, small enough to fit in your pocket yet big enough to type at very fast speeds.

Furthermore, it sports 512 MB of onboard memory for speedy performance in OS 6 and a lovely 5 MP camera
    02-01-11 04:19 AM
    I agree with Matrix Leader

Blackberry Bold 9780:
    It's Latest Blackberry and As you know, Bold 9700 is the most popular Blackberry phone around, 9780 is Extremely Similar but the changes are Camera, OS and more which means, the most popular Blackberry phone is now even better!!
    02-01-11 06:38 AM
    Get a Bold 9780. It has the best / highest capacity battery out of the box.

It has a very good physical keyboard and a very nice form factor, small enough to fit in your pocket yet big enough to type at very fast speeds.

Furthermore, it sports 512 MB of onboard memory for speedy performance in OS 6 and a lovely 5 MP camera
    I agree with Matrix Leader
    This would require the OP to switch carriers, something that he didn't mention that he would be open to doing.

I would say give the Style a shot, and if you don't like that one then you could go with the Bold 9650. Similar specs to the 9780, 512mb, OS6 (just launched on Sprint), and a 3.2mp camera (compared to a 5mp in the Style and 9780)
    02-01-11 08:16 AM
    I had an EVO for about 6 months and recently switched back to BB primarily because of the keyboard. I used the Style for about a week (ended up sticking with my Bold) and it is a great phone. The browser is a huge step down though from what you're used to with the EVO. It can be extremely frustrating at times if you spend much time on line but I think the keyboard and overall BB features make up for it.

Don't expect a huge improvement in battery life though. I don't know if it's the new operating system or what but if I am doing much browsing or streaming media (Pandora, Iheartradio,etc) it dies just as fast, if not faster then the EVO. My EVO was rooted and I found a great ROM/Kernal that gave me great battery life.

Although the battery drains just as fast one big advantage is it charges significantly faster. 20 minutes on the car charger tops it off whereas the EVO on a charger for 20 minutes probably didn't add 5%.
    Most people I hear that run an EVO charge it 2 to 3x a day...if using pretty heavy.

I have a 9700 and buddy has a 9650 and he gets similar battery life to me and does as much with his phone as me, maybe more. I know I have never had to charge more than once in a given day. Always before I go to bed and usually have 30% left on battery.

Unless you are streaming most of the day, then I don't get why your Battery life would be just as bad on the 9650 compared to your EVO. Are you making sure you're closing out Apps when not in use?

02-01-11 08:26 AM
    if you like blackberrries, the form factor etc, then yes go for it.
    02-01-11 08:29 AM
    Yea im just wondering if i should wait till the summer to see if anythng comes out for sprint or just pickup the style now

02-01-11 11:15 AM
    The OS6 browser won't be as good as your Evo, but it's eons better than OS5's.

That form factor does intrigue me. If it had a touch screen (inside only), I'd be very envious that it isn't on AT&T!
    02-01-11 12:03 PM
    I have both and I get WAY better battery life out of my EVO. I go about 15+ hours on one charge. On my Style I go about 7 hours. If you are used to the browser on the EVO you will get super irritated with the browser on the Style. I would just say wait and get one of the new bb's that will be out later this year.
    02-01-11 02:02 PM

An EVO rooted should charge quite quickly. I can charge mine fully in about 40 minutes.
    02-01-11 02:06 PM
    I have both and I get WAY better battery life out of my EVO. I go about 15+ hours on one charge. On my Style I go about 7 hours. If you are used to the browser on the EVO you will get super irritated with the browser on the Style. I would just say wait and get one of the new bb's that will be out later this year.
    WTF, that don't even make sense...something is terribly wrong with your Style's battery...like really wrong, lol!

02-01-11 05:06 PM
    WTF, that don't even make sense...something is terribly wrong with your Style's battery...like really wrong, lol!

I have had 3 different batteries and 2 different styles. It isn't the battery or the style. It is how it is. I get much better battery life on my EVO than my Style. I am not a noob to either platform. I only get about 7 hours out of my 9650 also. And I get about 9 on my Epic.
    02-01-11 06:48 PM
    My Bold's been off the charger now for almost 2 hours with about 45 minutes of browsing, twitter, and email. Battery is down to 80%. No streaming media. That's pretty comparable to what I got with my EVO.

No extra programs running in background, screen at dimmest setting, very few installed apps, frequent battery pulls, etc.

This is about the same life I experienced when I had the Style for a week as well.
    02-01-11 08:00 PM
    I have had 3 different batteries and 2 different styles. It isn't the battery or the style. It is how it is. I get much better battery life on my EVO than my Style. I am not a noob to either platform. I only get about 7 hours out of my 9650 also. And I get about 9 on my Epic.
    Agreed, somewhat; I have the EVO and Style, and find that the EVO (whe on 3g, not 4g) actually has (slightly) better battery life. There's a thread in the Style forum about increasing battery life, and that's helped a lot. (I know go from having to charge it twice a day to barely making it the whole day (moderate use; no streaming audio/video, but lots of mobile web browsing and twitter). But yeah, it should've shipped with a larger battery. I think the 9650 has a larger battery than the Style's. And, while browsing's much much improved, you will really hurt when compared to the EVO, unless you do mostly mobile sites browsing.
    02-01-11 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD