Good evening everyone, I hope this finds everyone doing great today!

This is my first post and to give a little bit of background about myself, I've been a droid user for the last 4+ years but seriously considering the Z30. My reason is simple; I have an available upgrade (Verizon), and am fed up with constant buggy updates and apps.

I am not a tech wiz and use my phone first and foremost as what the name implies, a telephone that has text messaging and internet capabilities lol. I do not use a bunch of apps, and the ones that I do I feel are either common or BB has an applicable equivalent (Maps, Driving directions, FB, Calendar, Yahoo Mail, YouTube etc.). I don't use my phone for streaming movies/TV shows, hours of music and/or podcasts, or video games. I am the equivalent of a technological bump on a log hahaha!

Through the years I have went through the Motorola family; Droid 2, Droid 3, Droid 4, and now am using a Droid Razr Maxx HD. I will be honest in saying I love the battery life and the display on this phone. But ever since I screwed up and updated to JB 4.1.2, I am ready to pretend that I am Nolan Ryan and this phone is my baseball!!!

From everything I have been able to read, the Z30 sounds like a winner and something that might honestly be more suited to me for my needs than anything offered by Android (or Apple).

Please give me your honest, blunt reasons and opinions why or why not this would or wouldn't be a (possible) good switch for me coming from my present situation.

Thanks!

Cy971

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-24-14 07:24 PM
    Good evening everyone, I hope this finds everyone doing great today!

This is my first post and to give a little bit of background about myself, I've been a droid user for the last 4+ years but seriously considering the Z30. My reason is simple; I have an available upgrade (Verizon), and am fed up with constant buggy updates and apps.

I am not a tech wiz and use my phone first and foremost as what the name implies, a telephone that has text messaging and internet capabilities lol. I do not use a bunch of apps, and the ones that I do I feel are either common or BB has an applicable equivalent (Maps, Driving directions, FB, Calendar, Yahoo Mail, YouTube etc.). I don't use my phone for streaming movies/TV shows, hours of music and/or podcasts, or video games. I am the equivalent of a technological bump on a log hahaha!

Through the years I have went through the Motorola family; Droid 2, Droid 3, Droid 4, and now am using a Droid Razr Maxx HD. I will be honest in saying I love the battery life and the display on this phone. But ever since I screwed up and updated to JB 4.1.2, I am ready to pretend that I am Nolan Ryan and this phone is my baseball!!!

From everything I have been able to read, the Z30 sounds like a winner and something that might honestly be more suited to me for my needs than anything offered by Android (or Apple).

Please give me your honest, blunt reasons and opinions why or why not this would or wouldn't be a (possible) good switch for me coming from my present situation.

Thanks!

Cy971

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    You have a grace period so why not give it a try? You can always take it back.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:26 PM
    Go for it.....Z30 is a wonderful device!
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:30 PM
    Agree. I have a VZW Z30 and loving it.

Posted from my VZW Z30
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:32 PM
    What do you guys and gals think the biggest adjustment(s) would be for me? What are things I would have to look for on the learning curve?
    03-24-14 07:32 PM
    You have to try the Z30... you will fall in love with it!

AmaZ30ed
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:33 PM
    The Z30 would be a match made in heaven for you by the sounds of it! Definitely go for it! You'll be getting one of the highest rated phones!

Posted via CB10
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:34 PM
    What do you guys and gals think the biggest adjustment(s) would be for me? What are things I would have to look for on the learning curve?
    For me, everything runs really smooth, nice size screen, and under moderate and intermittent heavy use, I can get 24 hours out of a battery charge.

There is also a lot of great peeps in the forums here to help you with any curve, welcome to CB!

AmaZ30ed
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:39 PM
    I came over from Android. OG Droid. Droid Pro. HTC Thunderbolt. Got tired of rooting and loading ROMs. Bought a Z10 and was sold on BB10. I have been using BlackBerry legacy devices for work for quite some time. I'm able to load Android apps but only have one loaded (Pandora). Recently got a Z30 and gave the Z10 to my wife. The 30 does anything I need it to do and I am happy. Your results may vary.

Z30 / Playbook 64G
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 07:42 PM
    I drive cross country and my phone gets one heck of a workout so for me to get a solid 7 or 8 hours without having to plug up is awesome considering I am constantly on the phone talking, using voice text, checking email, Facebook, and a couple of other sites I frequent online, as well as the phone searching for towers through many of the places I drive.
    03-24-14 07:43 PM
    I will check back in a little while gang, have to get rolling again get these last 3 hours done. Thank you for the answers so far!
    03-24-14 07:44 PM
    It will take time to get used to it. First you will need to understand you don't need to "get an app for everythning". File manager, adobe reader etc is all there. Setting email in hub is easy.

There are also dangers. You will get used to swiping and every android device will start to annoy you (that back/home button pressing is annoying!)

There are bugs, but most of them are gone. One that I know of, is Facebook: if you only want messages in hub you will get notifications as well. So i removed it from hub
    spikesolie and daithiD like this.
    03-24-14 07:52 PM
    Yes..I love my Z10 and my wife loves her Z30 after having an Iphone 5

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 07:55 PM
    My question for op is how dependant are you with Google services. ( maps, google now..)

This is probably my only reason for not recommending BlackBerry to my friends

Posted via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    03-24-14 08:16 PM
    You will love a Z30. It is a communications beast. In fact, if you don't do much video on your phone you might try a Q10. I went with the Z30 because I do a lot of web surfing. But if you are a 95% communications phone user, consider both.

From a Z30
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 08:18 PM
    OP: why not? Give it a shot!
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 03-24-14 at 08:55 PM.
    03-24-14 08:41 PM
    Also you should put cyanogenmod in your droid and give it new life.

Information: Motorola Droid RAZR HD/RAZR HD MAXX (CDMA) ("xt926") - CyanogenMod
    03-24-14 08:47 PM
    Below are my options, of course.

Android is a vehicle for Google to use in the business of selling your likes, buying patterns, contacts, locations, personal communications, schedule, etc... in the form of advertisements. In exchange you get very good, reliable Internet based services. If you understand, and don't mind Google harvesting that data from you, it's a great bargain. The phones are basic to excellent. The OS (Android) is a train car on which each phone maker tags their graffiti. Some is good, some is bad. Some is elaborate and some is minimalist. Plenty of choices to suit your taste. But in every case they are oriented to serve Google's goal.

BlackBerry is first and foremost a communications tool. Nearly every hardware and basic software component contributes to the act of communication. There are fun parts to but it can be argued other devices are more focused in the direction of diversion while BB is focused on productivity. I find my Z30, and every BlackBerry before an indispensable tool to help me organize, stay in touch, respond and secure my life. BlackBerry wants nothing of you. They sell a tool and you learn to use it. That's the bargain. When you do learn, it becomes clear just how powerful a tool it is.

What will you need to know when first experiencing a BB10? Don't fight it. Go with the flow of the OS. It guides you but you are in control. That is freedom and responsibility. Not everyone wants that. For those of us who get it, the device is a companion rather than a destination.
    To clarify further, Google doesn't sell your information to advertisers. What they do is they find relevant ads by analyzing your information and browsing habits. So your information isn't actually sold. It's all done internally. Advertisers only submit ads. they don't get any of your information. I've noticed that most people here actually believe that Google sells their information for money.
    03-24-14 08:55 PM
    To clarify further, Google doesn't sell your information to advertisers. What they do is they find relevant ads by analyzing your information and browsing habits. So your information isn't actually sold. It's all done internally. Advertisers only submit ads. they don't get any of your information. I've noticed that most people here actually believe that Google sells their information for money.
    LOL... don't even waste your time. The part about BBRY not wanting anything was especially comical, as BBRY says otherwise in its own TOS.
    03-24-14 09:00 PM
    First comment is the best. I agree... looks like you have little to lose.

If the platform has the things you need, you can't go wrong, IMHO. Take it for a test run, and let us know that you like it.
    03-24-14 09:09 PM
    My question for op is how dependant are you with Google services. ( maps, google now..)

This is probably my only reason for not recommending BlackBerry to my friends

Posted via CB10
    I use maps often but Google Now, never.

Like that Sith 10.2.1 I can sideload the few apps I've not found yet looking through the BB market...
    03-24-14 09:14 PM
    I use maps often but Google Now, never.
    BB Maps has mixed feedback on the forums. I have tried it only once, and it is effective.
    robk312 likes this.
    03-24-14 09:19 PM
    Just how the phone works. It takes a few days for the swiping to become instinct but once you get it down, it makes you want to smash other touchscreen devices because they don't work the same way.

Once you figure out how to navigate, based on the kind of user you say you are, I can't see much you'd have to adjust to at all.

Posted via CB10
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 09:22 PM
    If you don't use a lot of Google Services (Google Voice is a big one), you can go with a Z30 or a Windows Phone, based on the description of your needs that you gave earlier.

As far as a learning curve, the biggest thing in my opinion is getting used to the swipe gestures. It's not hard to get used to the gestures at all, so this is not a deterrent. The other thing to remember is that BB10 is a different OS in general. You will do things differently on a BlackBerry device than you will on an Android device. Once you get used to the differences, you will find out whether or not the OS suits your habits and needs.
    Cyanide971 likes this.
    03-24-14 09:29 PM
    Z30 is a great device. Shouldn't even require thought go for it!

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 09:31 PM
153 123 ...