I just got the Blackberry 8900, I heard that you should not let the battery die because its Li-Ion? I have fully charged it, now should I or shouldn't I let it die before charging it again?

Thanks!
    10-02-09 04:12 PM
    I have read that the battery should be completely drained of its charge several times after its first put to use. Make sure that you fully charge the battery each time as well.
    10-02-09 04:17 PM
    10-02-09 04:25 PM
    Don't let the battery drain all the way...not good!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ba...stions-304589/
    Yep, this is a great link, please read it through. You are talking old technology whereas the current BB's use new battery tech.
    10-02-09 04:26 PM
    Yeah, you should be okay to let your battery die... Because its a newer battery--you have to worry more about the older ones!
    10-02-09 08:17 PM
    Yeah, you should be okay to let your battery die... Because its a newer battery--you have to worry more about the older ones!
    Sorry, my last post was aimed at james up there, I forgot the quotes.

As for you... You really need to follow the link that was posted. You are completely backwards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 09:05 PM
    You should listen to this guys and follow the link... The worse thing u can do to this batteries is letting them die... I didn't know anything about this before I saw the thread

10-02-09 09:57 PM
    I let a battery die last year by accident. It was ruined and would no longer hold a charge.

10-02-09 10:24 PM
    I let a battery die last year by accident. It was ruined and would no longer hold a charge.

That's pretty extreme for a first time, but it can happen I guess. So many variables involved.
    10-02-09 10:26 PM
    It can happen. I'm pretty familiar with the technology and blackberries. And while I was surprised, I wasn't shocked. Always better to er on the side of caution.

10-02-09 10:30 PM
    That's why if you notice electronics come with a quarter charge in them over the past few years.

10-02-09 11:06 PM
    That's why if you notice electronics come with a quarter charge in them over the past few years.

That is because LiOn batteries last longest that way. With 100% charge they die really quickly. Strange, I know.
    10-02-09 11:32 PM
    I was trying to also get the point across that they also store better with a slight charge. I have also posted a few times that I have abused the batteries on every phone I have ever had, and never had a problem. Plus phones only last foe about two years anyway and my phone always crapped out before my battery. I would not worry about it to much, I also would not fully discharge it all the time.

10-02-09 11:45 PM

As for you... You really need to follow the link that was posted. You are completely backwards.

Wow I feel so dumb! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... I had no idea!!
    10-03-09 12:07 AM
    Too many people still don't know about this.
    And most of my friends who use bb always gave me this strange look of disbelief everytime i tell them not to let the battery very low or completely drained.

This is a link from lak611, a must read :

Charge your lithium-ion battery often | Tech at Play

Thx to aristile for being so helpful. Don't mind those who aren't so grateful to you, aristile.
    10-03-09 03:19 AM
    Here is the best information I have ever found about batteries and their use an abuse How to prolong lithium-based batteries

This link is also quite useful Battery Use Tips for your Maximum Battery Life | BlackBerryNews.com

You should NOT let your battery runn fully down unless you have to.
    10-03-09 06:36 AM
    It would seem that my aforementioned advice was wrong. I am sorry if I caused any inconvenience.
    10-03-09 06:57 AM
    It would seem that my aforementioned advice was wrong. I am sorry if I caused any inconvenience.
    You were wrong only because the 8900 uses a different battery technology than you though. Had the battery been a Ni-Cad then you would have been spot on.

Ni-Cads suffer from so-called memory effect whereby a battery that is used between (say) 25% and 75% charge, will soon begin to behave as if 75% is full charge and 25% is flat.

Lithium-Ion (Li-On) batteries do not manifest this behaviour.

No harm done.
    10-03-09 07:11 AM
    Too many people still don't know about this.
    And most of my friends who use bb always gave me this strange look of disbelief everytime i tell them not to let the battery very low or completely drained.

This is a link from lak611, a must read :

Charge your lithium-ion battery often | Tech at Play

Thx to aristile for being so helpful. Don't mind those who aren't so grateful to you, aristile.
    Sweet!! I got recognition in a thread I didn't even post in (until now).

Thanks, Ryan!
    10-03-09 11:01 AM
    Sweet!! I got recognition in a thread I didn't even post in (until now).

Thanks, Ryan!
    Well, I wrote that because I read your posts here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/th...ted-pc-287455/

I didn't want to post there because this is the latest topic started by the OP and thx to vdubguy who posted the link.
    You've been very helpful, so it's only natural to say thanks.
    10-03-09 11:34 AM
    I definitely do appreciate it but it also needs to be said that a big chunk of my BB knowledge came from the great Pete6. Pete6 is awesome!
    10-03-09 11:43 AM
    I definitely do appreciate it but it also needs to be said that a big chunk of my BB knowledge came from the great Pete6. Pete6 is awesome!
    Aww, but we love you too!
    10-04-09 10:43 PM

Ok, so now you're really scaring me. I have a 32gig playbook and I thought you were supposed to let them get very low a few times so that they realize their full capacity? Is that wrong?
    12-11-12 08:32 PM
    Ok, so now you're really scaring me. I have a 32gig playbook and I thought you were supposed to let them get very low a few times so that they realize their full capacity? Is that wrong?
    As the thread says, it is not a good idea to let Li-ion batteries completely drain and then charge. That can severely impact the overall battery life. Conversely, charging after even minimal discharge doesn't harm the overall battery life.
    12-11-12 09:11 PM
    As the thread says, it is not a good idea to let Li-ion batteries completely drain and then charge. That can severely impact the overall battery life. Conversely, charging after even minimal discharge doesn't harm the overall battery life.
    Well given that its entirely possible at times for me to run it down while working and then have it ding at me as a warning, is it ok as long as you pay attention to that warning or is that too low?
    thx
    12-11-12 09:41 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD