For what its worth, I think RIM will license BIS to companies like Samsung so your choice of hardware in 2 years will be much broader.
    That's nothing new, it has been done in the past. It was called Blackberry Connect and worked with Palm, Winmo, Symbian

I used it on a Nokia E61 but Nokia stopped it starting with the E71.
    Pilchard likes this.
    01-09-12 12:54 PM
    Rim has innovated, their latest innovations haven't really caught on just. Surepress is one example. Most laptop trackpads seem to have it now, or similar technology. Bridge is another.
    If the "innovation" doesn't really catch on and is ultimately scrapped..I think the correct term is "fail".
    01-09-12 12:55 PM
    Rim has innovated, their latest innovations haven't really caught on just. Surepress is one example. Most laptop trackpads seem to have it now, or similar technology. Bridge is another.
    Bridge is "useless" if you don't own a BB phone. Useless. That's not innovation. I won a PB and still I won't tell myself that's innovation when it's not.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-09-12 at 01:00 PM. Reason: missed word
    01-09-12 01:00 PM
    Bridge is "useless" if you don't own a BB phone. Useless. That's not innovation. I won a PB and still I won't tell myself that's innovation when it's not.
    Useless to you innovative to me. So who is wrong? Neither.
    01-09-12 01:02 PM
    Useless to you innovative to me. So who is wrong? Neither.
    Uh huh....
    01-09-12 01:11 PM
    Rim has innovated, their latest innovations haven't really caught on just. Surepress is one example.
    I would agree that SurePress, which hasn't appeared in a RIM product in two years, "[hasn't] really caught on just [yet]."
    01-09-12 01:15 PM
    Regardless if you like it or not, it's still innovation that can't be ignored and it will probably be copied in the future.
    01-09-12 01:25 PM
    If the "innovation" doesn't really catch on and is ultimately scrapped..I think the correct term is "fail".
    Isn't used in Apple laptop trackpads where the whole pad clicks? The ideea lives on.
    01-09-12 01:31 PM
    Isn't used in Apple laptop trackpads where the whole pad clicks? The ideea lives on.
    Obviously Apple's technology is different. They got a patent. Apple Wins Trackpad, iPhone & Gesturing on Hover Device Patents - Patently Apple
    01-09-12 01:41 PM
    Obviously Apple's technology is different. They got a patent. Apple Wins Trackpad, iPhone & Gesturing on Hover Device Patents - Patently Apple
    I thought so but the idea is the same.
    01-09-12 01:46 PM
    Regardless if you like it or not, it's still innovation that can't be ignored and it will probably be copied in the future.
    I didn't say whether or not I liked or disliked anything. I said that "bridge" is useless if you don't own a Blackberry. I'll wait for you to respond to that actual statement.

Interesting how you gave this credit to BB when, I believe, it was WebOs that actually took this type technology to market with the Pre and the HP Touchpad. You'd probably also say BB invented the 'swipe' concept as well. Another WebOs brainchild.

Somewhat revisionist history, but if you think that BB promotes itself well by 'innovating' within itself. Then have at it.
    01-09-12 01:46 PM
    I didn't say whether or not I liked or disliked anything. I said that "bridge" is useless if you don't own a Blackberry. I'll wait for you to respond to that actual statement.
    The Bridge isn't necessary with the new OS for PIM functionality, so it's a moot point.

Interesting how you gave this credit to BB when, I believe, it was WebOs that actually took this type technology to market with the Pre and the HP Touchpad. You'd probably also say BB invented the 'swipe' concept as well. Another WebOs brainchild.

Somewhat revisionist history, but if you think that BB promotes itself well by 'innovating' within itself. Then have at it.
    WebOS navigation and PB navigation are significantly different because of bezel swipes. It's simple, logical, and it works.

I think HP actually made a drastic mistake pulling the plug on the TouchPad, actually.
    01-09-12 02:01 PM
    The Bridge isn't necessary with the new OS for PIM functionality, so it's a moot point.

WebOS navigation and PB navigation are significantly different because of bezel swipes. It's simple, logical, and it works.
    I used the Palm Pre and WebOs for two ye made perfect 'simple', 'logical' sense to me.

It worked also.

Yes. If your company isn't as devoted to it's products as it's consumers are, things tend to not go well.
    01-09-12 02:15 PM

Actually the PlayBook was launched before the HP Touchpad.

Oh, and it's called Blackberry Bridge which implies you need a Blackberry device, I don't understand the confusion.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-09-12 at 02:32 PM.
    01-09-12 02:29 PM
    That's nothing new, it has been done in the past. It was called Blackberry Connect and worked with Palm, Winmo, Symbian

I used it on a Nokia E61 but Nokia stopped it starting with the E71.
    Thanks - I wasn't aware of that. It begs the question that if it's been tried before in the past and abandoned, what's going to be different this time. Maybe I'm just wrong about them doing it.
    01-09-12 02:45 PM
    It still amazes me how it always comes down to apps when people want to slander Rim. I still don't understand why yall that have and enjoy android devices and ips feel the need to hand around the blackberry forum.if your as happy with your phone as I am with mine isn't that all that matters.
    I read all the time how blackberry doesn't have apps. Well it has the ones I want anyway. I read earlier this morning about a bank not having an app for blackberrys. So I got out my phonebook and I went and checked out all the banks in town and only 1 out of 12 didn't have an app for the blackberry. Of course this was alittle farmers of alabama credit union. So I'm not holding that against blackberry. There's not an app for android or ios either.
    This deadhorse has been beaten into plup. Its no secret that blackberrys isn't the app console. So if that's what your looking for then you need to look else where. Its not that a blackberry can't run apps but the devs just don't burn out writing multiple versions of the same app. I for one like the way it is. I also know I'm not alone.
    When I bought any of my blackberrys I could have bought anything on the market I wanted. A blackberry is what I wanted. An iphone or android phone is no better or worse than a blackberry. They all have issues and limitions. Motorola has had releasing issues in the past. I don't read all day everyday about that. The razr is having some issues is anybody rubbing it in?
    End of the day its a frigging phone. Its just a plus I can listen to my music, sent emails and txt and surf the internet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-12 02:50 PM
    Actually the PlayBook was launched before the HP Touchpad.

Oh, and it's called Blackberry Bridge which implies you need a Blackberry device, I don't understand the confusion.
    Uh huh.....
    01-09-12 03:35 PM
    Its not that a blackberry can't run apps but the devs just don't burn out writing multiple versions of the same app.
    Yes, I'm sure it's a coincidence that of the three platforms at issue BlackBerry seems to be the odd-platform-out so often. The thing to remember is that though apps aren't the whole story, if you don't have a large enough selection to impres consumers you won't be competitive. RIM need not apologize for the state of the BlackBerry platform, but forum commenters should probably let go of the idea of significant RIM comeback until the problem outlined above is resolved.

End of the day its a frigging phone. Its just a plus I can listen to my music, sent emails and txt and surf the internet.

If you believe that a device appropriately labeled as "just a phone" can allow you to listen to music, send email, text, surf the web and post on CrackBerry, then I can only conclude you aren't old enough to remember what the phrase "just a phone" really means (hint: replace "just" with "only" and you'll get the idea).
    01-09-12 03:36 PM
    Blackberry Connect was a bit of a different animal than full-out licensing. Not sure how I feel about licensing, but it is what it is. If they have to do it, I guess they have to.

As far as Bridge goes, I understand why RIM makes it exclusive. It is a good incentive. Plus, they know savvy folks can and will tether the PB to other platforms for free (mostly). It kinda makes sense to have a built-in feature for BB users, though I wonder how long the carriers will go for it.

What I like is that I can tether PB to a non-BB device.
    01-09-12 03:38 PM
    An iphone or android phone is no better or worse than a blackberry. They all have issues and limitions. Motorola has had releasing issues in the past. I don't read all day everyday about that. The razr is having some issues is anybody rubbing it in?
    I actually read a lot about other phones problems, issues etc, but on their respective forums and sites. If i'm on the Razr forums..i expect to read about issues. Same goes for the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone forums..and yes..people rub stuff in. When I'm on a Blackberry site, I expect to read about issues related to it. That's just the nature of forums on "teh interwebz"
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-09-12 03:45 PM
    If you believe that a device appropriately labeled as "just a phone" can allow you to listen to music, send email, text, surf the web and post on CrackBerry, then I can only conclude you aren't old enough to remember what the phrase "just a phone" really means (hint: replace "just" with "only" and you'll get the idea).
    What kind of phone do you have. Scratch that it doesn't matter. If that thing wasn't able to make a phone call as soon as you found out. You would be back at the place you bought demanding some money back. The whole time the customer sevice rep was saying yea but it sents txt, emails and has a million apps. What else do ya need? To make a phone call.
    I'm 40 yrs old. I can remember the rotory dial phones. I believe I know what a phone is.

01-09-12 03:53 PM
    Uh huh.....
    Care to elaborate?
    01-09-12 03:57 PM
    I would not worry about it any more than I would purchasing an HTC device (HTC just reported its first quarterly drop in profits ever).

If RIM does eventually fail, it won't be before you've bought another new device anyhow. And if they get bought, then one of their most coveted assets - 70+ million service subscribers - will continue and will need BlackBerry devices of some kind to be released.

It's not like companies that make hardware only and let you bring your own services. Those companies are bought, the hardware killed, and it is done. RIM has services.. services that are expanding in use.
    Last edited by southlander; 01-09-12 at 04:21 PM.
    01-09-12 04:19 PM
    You mean innovative technologies like native email, calendar, and contacts? I'm curious to know what Apple and Google have to be "afraid, very afraid" of in QNX?
    How about technologies like the bridge. Whether you like it or not, whether you will ever use it or not, owners of a PlayBook and a BlackBerry phone have it, use it, and love it. And while nobody else has it, RIM is still expanding its capabilities. Is it a game-changer that the competitors need to fear? Probably not; but it is something that none of the competitors have, though I'm sure they would like to if they could.
    01-09-12 04:23 PM
    How about technologies like the bridge. Whether you like it or not, whether you will ever use it or not, owners of a PlayBook and a BlackBerry phone have it, use it, and love it. And while nobody else has it, RIM is still expanding its capabilities. Is it a game-changer that the competitors need to fear? Probably not; but it is something that none of the competitors have, though I'm sure they would like to if they could.
    At least in the enterprise bridge will matter I think. RIM will expand it so that you can buy a WiFi only device and have constant connectivity; they already almost have this other than App World right?. WiFi.. failing over to bridge. "Always connected", no extra data plan needed. No WiFi hotspot needed. And all your apps can seamlessly use it, *as is needed*.
    01-09-12 04:59 PM
124 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD