Love it when some say they're part of the majority. If what you say is true. Then why not get a cheap flip phone that will allow you to communicate? Why? Because you like the bells and whistles that smartphones provide regardless of how you feel about apps.

????????
    Communication includes email as well. BlackBerry is still the best and most secure smartphone platform for email.

I don't buy a feature phone because I cannot get email messages on them. They also don't have well-built internet browsers.

I'm not saying apps aren't important. I have apps, just like everyone else who owns a smartphone. Do they make my life a bit more convenient? Yes. Can I live without them? Yes. I'm definitely not speaking for the majority of smartphone owners because I'm of the minority that doesn't hold apps to such a high regard, but for my taste apps aren't core functions.

You maybe right, though. The majority of people who buy smartphones may not be looking for a communication tool.
    01-08-12 10:07 PM
    You maybe right, though. The majority of people who buy smartphones may not be looking for a communication tool.
    I read a forum on my smartphone and post a reply that gets read by far-flung people - close friends or complete strangers - that reply with ease.

The nature of communication is ever in flux.
    01-08-12 10:14 PM
    At what point will "apps developers create" show developers have interest in the platform?
    What I mean is that there are a lot of reasons why developers aren't developing for the BlackBerry platform. I've heard that the Java-based platform is difficult to write for (I personally don't know much about this). But that the PlayBook App World has so few apps shows that confidence in the PlayBook's success is low, right? If it were high, we would be seeing many more apps, especially more mainstream ones like those found on iTunes and Android Market.

This is also true regarding every tablet! Well, except one.
    Hopefully, that'll change by next month!
    01-08-12 10:17 PM
    Let me just say... Your post is not productive, and yes you should...
    My post is not productive? I thought that this was a forum where I could post and get other people thoughts on what I had questions about. Sorry you did not approve. lol
    01-08-12 10:24 PM
    Communication includes email as well. BlackBerry is still the best and most secure smartphone platform for email.

I don't buy a feature phone because I cannot get email messages on them. They also don't have well-built internet browsers.

I'm not saying apps aren't important. I have apps, just like everyone else who owns a smartphone. Do they make my life a bit more convenient? Yes. Can I live without them? Yes. I'm definitely not speaking for the majority of smartphone owners because I'm of the minority that doesn't hold apps to such a high regard, but for my taste apps aren't core functions.

Anything that a phone does other than make and receive calls is an "app" as in "app"lication. Email and browsing are considered types of applications.

Cheers!
    01-08-12 10:33 PM
    You also see them texting, making phone calls, taking pictures, inputting dates into their calendars, responding to and composing emails, etc.

I also like being able to use my phones camera to take a pic, scan the pic in, convert it to a PDF document, and email it off. I like keeping track of my checking account, making changes to docs and have them sync so that they're those changes are saved on my PC and work laptop. I also like being able to scan barcodes to make sure that the price I'm paying is a good price. I also having all my pics and songs saved to the cloud so that I never have to worry about another corrupted SD card jacking it all up. And, yes, I like to play games too.

And there are a lot of Android users that use their phones just like I do. And you have a fair amount that like it less for productivity and more for entertainment.
    Top Ten downloaded apps of 2011 according to Yahoo News:

Top 10 apps of 2011 by downloads:
    Angry Birds by Rovio Mobile Ltd.
    Facebook by Facebook, Inc.
    Skype by Skype Software S.a.r.l
    Angry Birds Rio by Rovio Mobile Ltd.
    Google Maps by Google, Inc.
    iBooks by Apple
    Angry Birds Seasons by Rovio Mobile Ltd.
    Fruit Ninja by Halfbrick Studios
    Talking Tom Cat by Outfit7
    Twitter by Twitter, Inc.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-09-12 12:37 AM
    Apple was the big power house but now Android is replacing it as #1. I think now that Steve Jobs died, Apple will have a very difficult time bringing stuff that Jobs dreamed about. RIM is still #3 and in other countries is #1. I don't think it's a sinking ship, but a ship that needs a better captain.
    Chrisy and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-09-12 01:07 AM
    You'll just have to see for yourself. Once I got my 9930 in my hand I was sold. I don't car about apps, the communication aspects make it the best phone in the world.
    01-09-12 07:04 AM
    It's good to try different platforms. That way you'll know better which you prefer and which suits whatever your priorities are in a phone.
    01-09-12 07:22 AM
    RIM isn't a sinking ship. To say that is to imply that they are on the verge of bankruptcy. They are not in danger of going bankrupt.

What they are in danger of is being bought by another company.

With the ammount of subscribers that RIM has world wide, no one will be shutting down the network anytime soon. It may or may not change ownership but it won't be shut down.
    01-09-12 08:08 AM
    Top Ten downloaded apps of 2011 according to Yahoo News:

Top 10 apps of 2011 by downloads:
    Angry Birds by Rovio Mobile Ltd.
    Facebook by Facebook, Inc.
    Skype by Skype Software S.a.r.l
    Angry Birds Rio by Rovio Mobile Ltd.
    Google Maps by Google, Inc.
    iBooks by Apple
    Angry Birds Seasons by Rovio Mobile Ltd.
    Fruit Ninja by Halfbrick Studios
    Talking Tom Cat by Outfit7
    Twitter by Twitter, Inc.
    What point are you trying to make? That most of those apps arent' even available on Blackberry smartphones? Well hopefully that will change with OS 10, so just hang in there.
    01-09-12 08:14 AM
    I would say yes - although my BBM contacts list is growing smaller! RIM isn't going anywhere soon (we hope), but even so, the infrastructure will be there for at least a contract term. The BBOS7 devices are very good. My son has a Torch 9810 - he was persuaded to get a BB when his Android device failed (literally quit in the middle of a text), and he saw how rugged my 9800 was. I do like the slider/keyboard/screen combo of the Torch. It's smooth and fast with BB7 (and my 9800 is smooth and fast with an installed hybrid).
    01-09-12 08:26 AM
    What point are you trying to make? That most of those apps arent' even available on Blackberry smartphones? Well hopefully that will change with OS 10, so just hang in there.
    I was responding to a poster who poked at me for having noticed that, most of the time, when I see a user with his or her phone out, they are playing games on it instead of being productive. The implication there is that apps are largely overrated as a selling point. He gave convincing examples that apps can be used to improve productivity. So I researched the top app downloads and discovered that they are largely counterproductive. I'm not saying apps aren't a selling point: people buy video games for their PCs, after all, and that doesn't make the PC any more or less capable of being a productive machine, but I think they are being blown out of proportion.

Disclaimer: I've been wrong before so it's bound to happen again.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-09-12 09:36 AM
    Sinking ships send out SOS's - not press releases like this:

RIM Previews BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 at CES
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    01-09-12 09:44 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    At what point will "apps developers create" show developers have interest in the platform?

What I mean is that there are a lot of reasons why developers aren't developing for the BlackBerry platform. I've heard that the Java-based platform is difficult to write for (I personally don't know much about this). But that the PlayBook App World has so few apps shows that confidence in the PlayBook's success is low, right? If it were high, we would be seeing many more apps, especially more mainstream ones like those found on iTunes and Android Market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    This is also true regarding every tablet! Well, except one.
    Hopefully, that'll change by next month!
    Don't forget to vote for the device that nobody wants to develop for!!

*** New Device Forum Voting Thread *** - xda-developers

2 away from first place on that sucky plaything!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-09-12 at 09:52 AM.
    01-09-12 09:49 AM
    I was responding to a poster who poked at me for having noticed that, most of the time, when I see a user with his or her phone out, they are playing games on it instead of being productive. The implication there is that apps are largely overrated as a selling point. He gave convincing examples that apps can be used to improve productivity. So I researched the top app downloads and discovered that they are largely counterproductive. I'm not saying apps aren't a selling point: people buy video games for their PCs, after all, and that doesn't make the PC any more or less capable of being a productive machine, but I think they are being blown out of proportion.

Disclaimer: I've been wrong before so it's bound to happen again.
    I think the only time I've seen mobile games being played while in the wild is when people are waiting in line for something, like at the bank or waiting to be seated at a restaurant. Especially at the latter, I see kids using their parents' phones to play games. I would ASSUME (and yes, I know what happens when one assumes) that all the games being downloaded are for kids' use.

Here are the 3rd party apps I've downloaded to date on my phone:

Adobe Air
    Adobe Flash Player 11.1
    Adobe Reader
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon MP3
    Angry Birds
    Cardio Trainer
    Color Note
    Crackle (movie and tv viewer)
    Daily Cardio Workout Free
    Dropbox
    Facebook
    Fancy Widgets
    Google Voice
    Google +
    Homerun Battle 3D
    Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard
    imo.im (best IM client I've ever used, and I'm pretty sure it's available for bb!)
    Juice Defender
    Mail Droid
    MyFitnessPal
    Netflix
    NineSky browser
    Photobucket
    Poynt
    Smooth Calendar
    Soundhound
    Talking Translator/Dictionary
    TuneIn Radio
    Tweetcaster
    VirtuaGym
    Vlingo
    WeatherBut Elite

That's 33 apps, and only TWO games and SIX media apps (including the Kindle app).
    01-09-12 11:17 AM
    Sinking ships send out SOS's - not press releases like this:

RIM Previews BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 at CES
    They also send out rubber dingies to cling to while the boat goes down.

Again..just my opinion, but getting excited for press releases for features that should have been out 10 months ago just means the bar for expectations is rather low.

Having said that, I'll be happy if/when they finally do release it, but until then, it's all smoke and mirrors.
    01-09-12 11:31 AM
    My post is not productive? I thought that this was a forum where I could post and get other people thoughts on what I had questions about. Sorry you did not approve. lol
    No, I don't think you are sorry. Your post wasn't objective and it read like a typical "rim slandering post." Going on a forum and asking if you should buy the company's crappy, worthless product??? Yeah, that sounds genuine
    01-09-12 11:49 AM

Again..just my opinion, but getting excited for press releases for features that should have been out 10 months ago just means the bar for expectations is rather low.

Having said that, I'll be happy if/when they finally do release it, but until then, it's all smoke and mirrors.
    Not that the bar is set low. It's that there really isn't that much needed, other than some apps, to make it what it should be. It is small things that need to be fixed or added. As I said in another thread I will judge it when it appears.

Not only does this new OS release make the Playbook in my hands basically a whole new device to enjoy again for the next year, it as well is innovative technologies that the other platforms could only dream about having (and that is just what we know from what they have listed).
    as well is innovative technologies that the other platforms could only dream about having
    Seriously? So, the company that hasn't innovated in quite some time is innovating or 'leap frogging' the competition again? Seriously?
    01-09-12 12:08 PM
    I don't feel Blackberry is a sinking ship. I've been a die hard Blackberry customer. Blackberry is slow to move on things but they are geared to more professional clientele. I tryed Android and switched back right away. Android seems to be for younger ppl with all the Apps that are basically useless to me. U can't beat Blackberry email and full qwerty keyboards. I feel the quality is there. Just my personal preference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-12 12:39 PM
    I wouldn't let all the bad news stories about RIM put you off. You aren't buying shares, just a phone, and the 9900 is a lovely phone. It may well be when your contract ends in 2 years you won't want another Berry due to the current offerings then, but at the moment, if you want push email and a keyboard, RIM is still on top.

For what its worth, I think RIM will license BIS to companies like Samsung so your choice of hardware in 2 years will be much broader.
    01-09-12 12:46 PM
    Seriously? So, the company that hasn't innovated in quite some time is innovating or 'leap frogging' the competition again? Seriously?
    Rim has innovated, their latest innovations haven't really caught on just. Surepress is one example. Most laptop trackpads seem to have it now, or similar technology. Bridge is another.
    01-09-12 12:49 PM
    Not only does this new OS release make the Playbook in my hands basically a whole new device to enjoy again for the next year, it as well is innovative technologies that the other platforms could only dream about having (and that is just what we know from what they have listed).
    You mean innovative technologies like native email, calendar, and contacts? I'm curious to know what Apple and Google have to be "afraid, very afraid" of in QNX?
    01-09-12 12:52 PM
124 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD