My wife and I renewed our Verizon contracts about 4 months ago, and both got Bold 9650's. Our reasoning; she likes to text, so the Bold's keyboard was a great choice. I was tired of an awful touch phone (LG Envy Touch) and wanted a smart-phone for internet browsing. Now, I feel a little left behind, well, maybe mismatched with the BlackBerry platform. I am not a business user. I am very pleased with Verizon's network coverage. I've Always had more reliable coverage than my friends and family. I seldom make calls, and primarily wanted the smart-phone for web-browsing and fun stuff.

My likes about the BlackBerry
    -I love the BB app switching. Seems like one of the best by comparison?
    -I am quite fond of the TrackPad and qwerty keyboard.
    -Multitasking. I think the Bold handles this quite well.
    -Custom themes. Especially since I have the option to make my own.

My dislikes...
    -Wish I still had a touch screen. Especially during calls. BB6 call menus beg for a touch screen. Also, picture viewing is nicer on a touch screen. (If only the Torch was available on Verizon.)
    -App support. I feel underwhelmed with the selection of entertainment apps. In fact, quite disappointed.

And to further complicate things, I presently want a PlayBook for the phone/tablet compatibility. Plus, it seems like a far more capable device than the iPad. But, again, what will the app support for the PlayBook be?

So here goes? Would I have been better off with an Android or iPhone? And, if so, given that I already have a BB, would you recommend a PlayBook or an Android tablet? What would you do if you were in this pickle?
    02-10-11 05:01 AM
    If you decide to stay with your BB, I'd recommend the PlayBook over an Android tablet. PlayBook is built to work with your BB phone, although it will also be fine as a stand-alone device.

But if it's apps and a touch screen that you're missing, you have to decide if it's worth giving up the keyboard for as well as the other stuff you like about the BB before jumping to an iPhone. I'm lucky I've got the best of both worlds with the Torch. Unfortunately, Verizon isn't carrying any such device (yet), although there is talk of a CDMA Bold Touch coming later this year, so if you can hold out for 6 months or so, that could be the device that answers your needs.
    02-10-11 06:57 AM
    My wife and I renewed our Verizon contracts about 4 months ago, and both got Bold 9650's. Our reasoning; she likes to text, so the Bold's keyboard was a great choice. I was tired of an awful touch phone (LG Envy Touch) and wanted a smart-phone for internet browsing. Now, I feel a little left behind, well, maybe mismatched with the BlackBerry platform. I am not a business user. I am very pleased with Verizon's network coverage. I've Always had more reliable coverage than my friends and family. I seldom make calls, and primarily wanted the smart-phone for web-browsing and fun stuff.

My likes about the BlackBerry
    -I love the BB app switching. Seems like one of the best by comparison?
    -I am quite fond of the TrackPad and qwerty keyboard.
    -Multitasking. I think the Bold handles this quite well.
    -Custom themes. Especially since I have the option to make my own.

My dislikes...
    -Wish I still had a touch screen. Especially during calls. BB6 call menus beg for a touch screen. Also, picture viewing is nicer on a touch screen. (If only the Torch was available on Verizon.)
    -App support. I feel underwhelmed with the selection of entertainment apps. In fact, quite disappointed.

And to further complicate things, I presently want a PlayBook for the phone/tablet compatibility. Plus, it seems like a far more capable device than the iPad. But, again, what will the app support for the PlayBook be?

So here goes? Would I have been better off with an Android or iPhone? And, if so, given that I already have a BB, would you recommend a PlayBook or an Android tablet? What would you do if you were in this pickle?
    Since you have just renewed your contract(s), bite the bullet and figure out a way to make the Blackberries work for you and your wife. If you are really that disappointed and want more entertainment apps and want an iPhone or an Android device, spend the money and get it thru Verizon. The initial Verizon iPhone 4 is only 3G regardless of the network upgrading to 4G. As far as the tablets, it would be easy to say get the BB Playbook......on the #1 Blackberry site for all things Blackberry. But, ultimately, it's your money and your decision. So, see which device fits your needs......especially for entertainment value.
    02-10-11 07:19 AM
    Forget about coulda, shouda, woulda. You've got a **** of a phone. Tech will improve, but the interface on your Bold is intelligent, high quality, and somewhat unique in the smart phone world, and it will be for years to come.

For a bit more than the financial hit you'd take swapping phones, you can get a dedicated game/surfung device, keep your Bold, and have the best of both worlds.

Can't promise anything as far as the Playbook, but I think it's a safe bet if you like the screen size. Wait till one month after release and you should have a pretty good idea how things are going to go app-wise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 11:08 AM
    Hang in there, especially since you are under contract. You have the premier messaging device in the market in your Bold. The Playbook will augment its capabilities soon, and there is a full touchscreen BlackBerry in the pipe (codenamed Monaco, I believe) that should drop this year. I assume you aren't willing to switch carriers any time soon due to the exhorbitant ETF, so you need to spend some time with your BB and really explore its capabilities. The next 2 years will be very exciting for BlackBerry owners. You'll have time to decide if you want to stick with the platform.

02-10-11 11:39 AM
    An iPod touch works well on wifi. That would make for a great stop gap. You'd have just about everything that you seem to want. Great browsing and lots of apps.

02-10-11 02:31 PM
    First of all, ask yourself how you'd like to use the phone. What would you like it to do most often? This should start to lead you toward one platform or another based on their strengths and weaknesses. (I wish I had done a better job of this.)
    I posted that in a thread right after I wrote this one. I think the little "crisis" (hardly ) I'm going though now, is because this is the first time I've actually assessed what I want my phone to do. I'd also like to buy a tablet soon, and it would be nice for my device to be compatible with my phone. So, again, the BB/PlayBook vs. Android/tablet debate.

So here's what I'd like to do. I've been browsing craigslist, and it looks like I could pick-up a used Droid-X or HTC phone for around $200 bucks. I'd like to try one out for a while and give it a good honest assessment. By that time the PlayBook should be out, and I'll have a better idea of which platform I'd prefer. The BB platform looks kind of promising however in this respect; Rumors of the Playbook running Android apps, and the 6.1 and QNX operating systems that are coming in the future. This makes me think that the entertainment factor of the BB platform will be significantly better in the not-so-distant future. (Something I'm disappointed with now.) If in fact, I choose to tough-it out with the Bold, by the time my contract is ready for renewal (about Sep 2012) the new BlackBerrys should be available. What do you folks think? Oh, and lastly, for a used Android phone; I'm initially thinking of a Droid-X but am open to other recommendations...
    And of course, many thanks!
    02-11-11 02:40 AM
    Sounds like a plan. And with two phones to "hold you over," you'll have plenty of time to make a decision. Heck, if you end up liking the BB but really want a more portable entertainment than a tablet, RIM are coming out with new media-friendly phones later this year.

02-11-11 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD