Heres the deal, my dad is one of those old school guys who dont like to change. As a result, he is still using the iphone 3g that he got half a century ago. But now the iphone has fianlly given up and he's due for another phone. We went to the carriers (fido,rogers,telus etc) and all the plans for the Iphone were ridiculously expensive.

So it got me thinking should I just get him a z30? However here are my concerns. My dad isnt the most technologicaly savy person in the world. This means no sideloading, stuff like that. He only uses his device for text, talk, and sometimes email for work. Will the learning curve of the hub be too much? Keep in mind my dad took like 3 weeks to learn about the copy and paste function.

The iphone seems much simpler for people like my dad. The second concern would be bugs. My parents already have a negative bias towards BlackBerry. Next think I need is for me to get my dad a z30 and its malfunctions. For the people who are running the "official" os (im currently running 10.2.8 and there are numerous bugs) how is the phone? Do you experience any unexpected restarts or freezes?

I know this was a long post and if read all the way until now, I salute you and thank you.

Posted via CB10
    vincentkong and Anilu7 like this.
    12-04-13 10:03 AM
    Care to share that 10.2.8 lol

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 10:05 AM
    I take it you're getting it for him as a gift? Yes iPhones are definitely the best for ease of use. Does he like the virtual keyboard? If his primary use is for emails a Z30 is good. Maybe a Q10 might be easier if he isn't opposed to physical keys.

In regards to your OS stability questions 10.2 is very stable compared to the original OS the phone shipped with any restarts were fixed after 10.1.2050 my phone used to random reboot on 10.0 but it's all fixed now.

The transition from a iPhone shouldn't be that difficult. He will just have to learn the gestures more often. The keyboard will be much better for typing emails etc. Why not have him try out all the phones and see what works best for him?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 10:07 AM
    Get him a z30, bonding with him via bbm group :-).

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip and johnm137 like this.
    12-04-13 10:17 AM
    Don't underestimate how clever us old folks are. Personally, I think he will enjoy the discovery.

As for bugs, they are mostly encountered by people doing things out of the ordinary. It does not sound like he is doing much of that.

Finally, BBM Video and Screen Share are likely to help you help him should he run into any issues.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you about the cleverness of us old folks!
    OP: I don't know how old you are or how old your Dad is, but give him a chance show you how much he can figure out. The previous advice about showing him different phones and having him try them was a good idea. As for malfunctions, all will have issues of one kind or another from time to time. Just help him out when he needs it.

Never, but Never, Question the Engineers Judgment!
    12-04-13 11:13 AM
    Do it. You have 15 days to help him get it right. Screen share will save the day.
    12-04-13 11:28 AM
    If you think he will be OK with changing and learning the Z30s awesome ways then do it.

If you think he will be opposed to change and complain about it and not enjoy a different device, buy him a used iPhone 4s or 5, depending on your budget.

Posted via CBZ10 baby!
    12-04-13 11:47 AM
    Funny thing is that I was in a similar position like you a few weeks back. Except my dad is still using a Motorola flip phone. For me, I was trying to assess whether to get him a Z10 or Q10(white or black). The final decision came down to whether or not he wanted a phone that looked practical and comparable in size. Fortunately, for me I have a Q10 from work and a Z10 that I use personally. So when I showed him (hypothetically) which phone he preferred, he pointed out to the Q10 in black, of course. I think my dad, who is in his 60's, is fairly open minded when it comes to trying out new gadgets and technology. It worked 3 years, when I first introduce to him his first Verizon Samsung tablet. I am sure it will work with this Q10. So, I was actually debating whether or not a Z30 would have a been a better choice. Clearly, in this case, it wasn't if the Z10 was too big for him to carry around. Just my thoughts to your dilemma. Good luck in deciding. Clearly, I support your support for BB!
    12-04-13 01:43 PM
    If he is anything like my dad he will *****. That said he will eventually get used to it no matter what.

For his purposes the Z30 is the best bet. He is a communicator, and the Z30 is built for people like him.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 01:49 PM
    I would have to say and iphone for you're DAD..ease of use and he is familiar with the UI. For instance i gave my sister who is in her 50's and is definitely not tech savvy an iphone and my nephew a blackberry...he loves BB.
    12-04-13 01:58 PM
    I wouldn't dream of it there Casey Jones.
    Ole Casey ain't got nothin' on me;-D

Never, but Never, Question the Engineers Judgment!
    12-04-13 02:13 PM
    I would have to say and iphone for you're DAD..ease of use and he is familiar with the UI. For instance i gave my sister who is in her 50's and is definitely not tech savvy an iphone and my nephew a blackberry...he loves BB.
    I have to agree here. Get him a new iphone for a few reasons the first one lasted him a long time so there's that.
    Then he probably has a lot of apps and other stuff hes amassed over time. It would be a frustration for him to have to replace them all over again
    Thirdly hes familiar with the ui although there have been some changes and while he may not mind a challenge why make it a challenge to begin with.

I was in the same boat when my wifes nokia died on her and she needed a new one. I was going to get her a z10 but she wanted to keep in touch with her sister who had an iphone so i relented. This was when it was first released si there werent many communication options.
    Now with cross platform bbm and skype you have other means to keep in touch. Ultimately though its your choice as the gift giver.
    One thing though prices for data services are going to be about the same regardless of which phone you get. Especially with 4glte so that shouldn't be a factor. All carriers want you on a data plan with a smartphone unless you get it unlocked.

Good luck.

Posted from a phone....
    12-04-13 02:43 PM
    Sign him up

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 03:32 PM
    Get him the z30. There's seriously nothing had about using this os. Swipe up and to the right is the hardest thing he'll need to do.

Since you own a BlackBerry10. Ask yourself if he will enjoy the unique hub, great sound, antenna reception, and the larger device and virtual keyboard.

He doesn't sound like he uses many apps or uses itunes to buy songs or movies but you could surprise him with the extra bits like hdmi, miracast, usb otg and nfc Sharing. Z30 is a great device to watch movies too.

There's seriously nothing hard about learning BlackBerry 10. Think of the swipe up as the home button and your 90 percent there to owning it.

Surely he'd appreciate the integration and multi tasking. Cause I sure do lol
    12-04-13 03:46 PM
    I dont know about your dad.. but you can get one for me.
    12-04-13 03:48 PM
    This is the problem about blackberry everybody thinks that they are complicated to use but In reality they're not and that's one of the reasons why everyone gets an iPhone

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 09:11 PM
    Initially I was going to reply the iPhone since he is used to it. Then I got to thinking that he might enjoy the better keyboard on the Z30, bigger screen, and longer battery life. We bought my mother in law an Android Acer tablet and she is a wiz at it. She has a flip phone. I bought my parents a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and they r enjoying it. So, I would not underestimate the mature generation.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    12-04-13 10:25 PM