Does the Playbook do these things? and if so, does it do them fast, nice and stable? Also, don't mind side loading as long as it works.

Watching hd movies stored on the device

watch videos. Youtube, dailymotion, etc.

Messaging. Like oovoo and Facebook chat

All types of news apps. Worldwide, business, finance, sports, etc.

Video streaming. Like Crackle and Netflix.

Video chat. I'm sure it has it since it has a front facing camera, but with what services? And do the people you want to chat with have to have to be using a playbook?

Reading. Like books and magazines.

Hdmi.

I think that's it

Is there anything that it doesn't do that some people dislike or complain about that other tablets do? Like is there anything it doesn't do that other tablets do?

Please help. Thanks in advance.
    11-30-13 04:17 PM
    Hi! Welcome to CrackBerry. Being new here you probably didn't realize that there is an entire forum just for the PlayBook. A lot of your questions would be answered there.

It does some of what you mentioned and some it does not.
    11-30-13 04:48 PM
    Does the Playbook do these things? and if so, does it do them fast, nice and stable? Also, don't mind side loading as long as it works.

Video chat. I'm sure it has it since it has a front facing camera, but with what services? And do the people you want to chat with have to have to be using a playbook?

Hdmi.

I think that's it

Is there anything that it doesn't do that some people dislike or complain about that other tablets do? Like is there anything it doesn't do that other tablets do?

Please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    The Playbook is a sturdily constructed and underrated device with great battery life that can be used for stored movies and music playback, among other things.

Finding the full potential of the playbook and if you get one or not, is entirely up to you.
    Man@Arms likes this.
    11-30-13 04:49 PM
    I own 3! Enough said!

Q10 running10.2.1.1055 leak and loving it!
    11-30-13 04:51 PM
    Thanks for the replies but I would have really appreciated my questions being answered.

Can anyone please help me?

11-30-13 04:53 PM

Hdmi.

I think that's it

No. BlackBerry no longer supports it and there a far more powerful tablets out there.

I haven't touched mine in months.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    11-30-13 04:53 PM
    So, the Playbook doesn't do any of that, trsbbs?
    11-30-13 04:56 PM
    No....please get another tablet. I mean, if u can get one for SUPER cheap mayb then u can justify picking one up but just got get a Nexus 7. Lime others have said, the PlayBook isn't supported any longer and it's browser is slow. Ever since I got my Z10, I have had little reason to touch my PlayBook. It's just my opinion though. Hope u find what works for you

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 04:59 PM
    I think the only thing on your list that it might do reasonably well is to watch stored movies. And contrary to the above the battery is notably poor. Start up takes ages, web browser is really bad and internet video rarely works properly. The UI is cool but it has few apps that people want but you can sideload android apps and some will work and some will not.

It's main claim to fame is the BlackBerry Bridge to sync up with your legacy BB.
    11-30-13 05:00 PM
    Buying a Playbook would be a waste of money but not a huge one as they are dirt cheap now. For the things you mentioned, sure you can do them on a Playbook but it's not the best experience ever. App selection is incredibly limited and I think 'dodgy' is the best word to sum up what is there. Videos are often laggy as is the OS, but honestly in terms of price now, it's not that bad. You should know BlackBerry don't really care about the Playbook right now either, but maybe Chen will change their stance on this (unlikely though).

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 05:04 PM
    Just watched a movie on our tv through the hdmi cable from the PlayBook this afternoon.

Doesn't get Netflix. Crackle works fine for me.

Video messaging is only PlayBook to PlayBook. And it only does sms and bbm if you have a BlackBerry phone to link up to.

You can get good ebook reader apps.

Not sure about the news apps. I used to read CBC on mine, but now I use my Z10 for news consumption.

Oracle Browser is very nice and works very well.

The problem with a PlayBook is that there aren't a lot of Devs still developing for it at this time.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 05:24 PM
    Forgot to add that I also have the mini keyboard so I use my PlayBook a lot for doc editing and creation and to make notes on pdf's when I'm away from the office.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 05:25 PM
    If you can find a used PlayBook for under $100, then yes.

However, given the price tag of the new (2013 year model) Nexus 7, it's IMO the best 7" tablet, even if you already have a BBRY phone. And that's coming from a guy who bought not one, not two, but three PlayBooks (and I don't say that proudly either...)

Even a used last gen Nexus 7 is great. You can find a 16GB last gen Nexus 7 used for $150 or so. The nice part about Nexus tablets is that they get updated to the latest Android version and have continued support. Good luck with that with a PlayBook, even the new and old Nexus 7's got BBM; PlayBook still doesn't have it...
    11-30-13 05:30 PM
    @Vorkosigan

The piece about video chat it completely wrong to can chat between PB and BBM on BB10 without issues. I do it a couple times a week with my parent. Works Great.
    11-30-13 05:47 PM
    @Vorkosigan

The piece about video chat it completely wrong to can chat between PB and BBM on BB10 without issues. I do it a couple times a week with my parent. Works Great.
    Your right. I had forgotten that.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 05:49 PM

Hdmi.

I think that's it

You'd be happier with an android tablet like a nexus 10 in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 06:19 PM
    Look for an Asus Memo Pad HD 7". Amazon has them for $129 or less, Walmart for $149. They are about equal to the 2012 model of the Nexus 7 but with added features.
    11-30-13 06:33 PM
    Microsoft surface rt is 199 at best buy. I got one and so far it does what you asked. My PlayBook only does better multi-tasking, but apps are limited.
    11-30-13 06:36 PM
    It does all of those things in one form or another. For example you cannot stream Netflix from the official app but playon works for that if your willing to leave your desktop on at home while away. It can stream vudu and other ultraviolet services quite nicely from the Web.

The nice part of this is you can then hook it to the tv at a friends house and remote control with your phone.

The only service on your list that is decidedly lacking is video chat. Unless your partner has a playbook, bb10 device, or is willing to go to a flash enabled video chat service then your sol

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 06:38 PM
    Windows RT is rumored to be canceled in the upcoming year so I would be careful of investing in RT devices, too...
    11-30-13 06:44 PM
    Windows RT is dead. I wouldn't buy a playbook. Throwing my last 2 on eBay tomorrow. Going the nexus 7 route.

Playbook was good at the time, but the platform is dead so are the apps. It's ok for a media device, web browsing sucks because of the browser. Checkerboard syndrome. Yes there is origami browser but not much better.

Save yourself the headaches of buying a mistake especially now. It's officially a dead product. Go android route it will have everything you could ever want and a platform that's officially supported for years to come.

You're not tied to the lacking ecosystem. So don't start handicapped from day one investing in a dead ecosystem.
    11-30-13 06:48 PM
    Nexus 7 then
    11-30-13 06:54 PM
    I get the impression the OP knows all these things already. Perhaps just looking for a little dust up? Could be wrong...
    mikeo007 and h20work like this.
    11-30-13 06:58 PM
    Good lord no. It's unsupported. Why on Earth would you?
    11-30-13 07:51 PM
    OP, I would not recommend getting a Playbook.

A. It is no longer being supported by BlackBerry in any meaningful way.

B There is a lack of natively built apps for it.

C. It is on 2 year old Hardware

D. It needs to be paired/bridged with a Blackberry phone for it to work in any meaningful way.

I made the mistake of buying 2 Playbooks for both me and my girlfriend shortly after they came out. There were a lot of promises made, so we held on to them for a while until we decided that we could not wait anymore. The last straw was the broken BB10 OS promise, after which we made a switch to Samsung Galaxy Note tablets. Our previous Playbook tablets are both in a draw somewhere gathering dust.

To even buy a Playbook for $100 to $150 would be a mistake. For about $200 to $250 you can get a more current Android tablet, which would be supported with updates and a much better app selection.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet
    Last edited by web99; 11-30-13 at 08:39 PM.
    11-30-13 08:26 PM
30 12