Hi,

What can a PB do that my BB can't? I have been trying to decide if I should get a PB or not? Is it worth it? Is OS 2.0 worth dropping the $199? Also, I might upgrade to OS 7 later this year. So lets compare what a PB can do that a OS 5 or OS 7 device can't.
    01-30-12 01:44 AM
    it's an expansion/evolution of the bb experience..i love my 9900, but i always reach for the pb for a quick google search, cb forum crawl or whatever..get one and you'll quickly answer your own question
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-30-12 02:11 AM
    It's a good device to have with your Blackberry together.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-30-12 02:28 AM
    The question isn't should you get a playbook, the question is what playbook to get. Install SMS bridge on your phone and.....

Pick up playbook, go to streaming site, news site, play game or whatever. Its very cool. Front facing proper stereo speakers and a very high density screen make it killer for games and media. Then your BB phone rings and the call display comes up on the PlayBook screen with mute ringer option. An email comes in and Bridge brings it to your PB, you schedule a meeting and its on your phone because thats where the calendar is. You want to see a few pic from your phone so you use Bridge to bring them up. An email comes in and since you're on your PlayBook you use Bridge to read and reply to it, all with phone still in pocket. A SMS comes in, but because you have SMS bridge installed on your BB phone it too comes on screen on your PlayBook and you respond.

It goes on and on. If you're a BB phone user and you want a big nice and proratable extension of your phone with a killer browser, an app store (with OS 2 and Android apps/games coming) thats getting real, real good and some killer bridge data.internet sharing. Get a PlayBook. They are amazing.
    Kerrstar likes this.
    01-30-12 02:42 AM
    This was my thought process before I bought it.

I have my blackberry smartphone for my email, phone and business apps. The only situation I could conjure up for having a playbook was when I would need it to access flash websites ... even though I already have a netbook for that.

Fast forward to now.

My phone is connected to my playbook via bridge and is nowhere to be found. I always have my playbook with me. I use the playbook for all my emails, browsing, GAMES, apps and when I do get a phone call, a notification appears on the playbook's screen, and I have to organize a search party to find my phone. Don't forget you can still use the browser when you AREN'T in a wifi zone via bridge.

With OS 2 coming out soon, I will be able to get android apps AND type emails and documents on my playbook using my Bold's keyboard! HOW COOL IS THAT !!?!?!?!?!?!?!

PS. you will fall in love with the UI. the bezels are soo nice.

Try it out and if you don't like it return it (most stores give you 30 days).

Just cross your fingers that you don't get one with dead pixels or dust under the screen LOL
    Last edited by phoreoneone; 01-30-12 at 02:55 AM.
    01-30-12 02:45 AM
    Can you get bbm notifications while in bridge?
    01-30-12 03:26 AM
    Can you get bbm notifications while in bridge?
    Yes. Not only. Notifications, your entire BBM is replicated on the PB and you can reply using the PB only.
    01-30-12 05:13 AM
    The PlayBook and the BlackBerry phones are so different. Nothing about the PlayBook looks or feels like old OS6 and below phones. The PlayBook is like what a child between a computer and a BlackBerry OS7 phone would be like. It lets you do some typical BlackBerry stuff using the Bridge, but other than that, the PlayBook is on a whole other level of efficiency and ..just everything.

It's crazy to me that the Kindle Fire sold 6 million (according to the latest report from some analyst)... because I looked at the two side by side at Staples, and the Kindle Fire doesn't even feel like the quality that the PlayBook is. The sound on the PlayBook is better than I've heard on any tablet, and the screen is crisp and I have yet to play with a tablet at a store and think "wow, my almost year old PlayBook feels outdated."

I bought my PlayBook back when the 32GB was $599 in the U.S. and I know that for $300 or whatever they cost now for a 64GB, I'd be THRILLED if I got this tablet for that amount of money.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-12 05:47 AM
    "Should I get a PB?"
    YES!
    Most stores have an excellent return policy. Try it and if your not satisfied then return it.
    01-30-12 08:16 AM
    The pb has a much better OS, a distinctly modern UI experience

The pb is not a BB with a bigger screen

You should get it
    01-30-12 08:48 AM
    Is the bridge web browser considered tethering? If I use the bridge browser will I get in trouble with my carrier since I don't have a tethering plan?
    01-30-12 11:06 AM
    It shouldn't be considered tethering. You use the BlackBerry Bridge app on the pb and BB to pair them together.

Contact your carrier and state you want to use a playbook with your phone and make sure the network wouldn't see the playbook (as you would be using BlackBerry Bridge to pair the two together).
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-30-12 at 08:10 PM.
    01-30-12 06:01 PM
    Lets not forget to mention that with a hdmi to micro plug, one can interface the PB with a HD tv and really get wowwed! Get one, your laptop will be so jealous.
    01-30-12 08:01 PM
    "The pb is not a BB with a bigger screen"

Exactly!
    01-31-12 07:44 AM
    Thank you everyone. I ordered a 16GB model, very excited!
    01-31-12 12:23 PM
    Yes. Not only. Notifications, your entire BBM is replicated on the PB and you can reply using the PB only.
    Except for BBM Groups. Otherwise, BBM bridged is pretty sweet.

Great to see the PB getting lots of love. OP, you won't be sorry, especially come Feb 21.
    01-31-12 01:13 PM
    Except for BBM Groups. Otherwise, BBM bridged is pretty sweet.

Great to see the PB getting lots of love. OP, you won't be sorry, especially come Feb 21.
    Does anyone know if they will add support for BBM Groups? I use that a lot.
    01-31-12 02:18 PM
    Not sure blue, but. - watched a video on Os 2 and there is a lot to look forward to. You should be excited, I still am after 1 month!
    01-31-12 02:32 PM
    Not sure blue, but. - watched a video on Os 2 and there is a lot to look forward to. You should be excited, I still am after 1 month!
    I am very excited! OS 2 looks sweet!
    01-31-12 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD