02-28-10 09:27 PM
31 12
tools
    Hi, I'm a 17-year-old from Indonesia. I've been using "dumb phones" since the first time I was given a phone. Then, I was given 2 options. A Blackberry Onyx or an iPhone.

I will finish high school soon, and continue to a university in Australia afterwards. At first, I thought using Blackberry would be a good idea, since I've got many friends and my mom here in Indonesia who own Blackberry.
    However, I asked another friend of mine who's been in Australia for several months, and he said that the Blackberry services, i.e. BBM in Australia cost quite a lot. Is it true?

Considering that I can still use messengers besides BBM, such as YM or MSN on iPhone, switching to iPhone might not be a bad idea (for me). My friends and families have YM and MSN account as well. I can still communicate with them through these messengers though. Although it's not as efficient as using BBM

I don't usually e-mail much. In fact, I usually open my e-mail if only there's an important mail

what do you think?
    02-23-10 11:26 AM
    BBM is factored into whatever the data plan costs related to your carrier, so I don't know if they mean specifically that is expensive or the entire data plan.

If you are interested more in apps and everything like that, go iPhone. If you want to be able to use BBM to contact everyone at home and messengers, go Blackberry.

To me, you sound leaning to the iPhone so just get the iPhone.
    02-23-10 11:33 AM
    How about you look at the Australian carrier's website and find out how much the plans are? That might be more useful than taking the advice of a friend who doesn't own a Blackberry.
    02-23-10 11:40 AM
    i have a friend in Sydney who brought his blackberry from Indonesia, but he uses his blackberry only to send text messages and phone, not the BBM service. He uses it to browse the internet occasionally though.

does it not always mean that if you're able to connect to and browse the internet, you can use BBM as well?
    02-23-10 12:14 PM
    Based on your question, your mind is already set on the iPhone. If you hesitate on a blackberry, you will not enjoy the phone as much. Get a phone that you want and not because someone already have.

On a side note, Blackberry chat client including yahoo, gtalk and msn messenger is far beyond better then iPhone with it's push technology.
    Last edited by thymaster; 02-23-10 at 12:17 PM.
    02-23-10 12:15 PM
    BBM cost to you the same thing as MSN: your data plan.

if you buy a phone for messaging take a BB. if you want a toy with games, take the iPhone
    02-23-10 12:17 PM
    Based on your question, your mind is already set on the iPhone. If you hesitate on a blackberry, you will not enjoy the phone as much. Get a phone that you want and not because someone already have.
    oh yeah, one thing i always worry about is that i've seen my friend's iphone broken because of carelessness, and i'm quite a careless person sometimes. lol. my friends who use blackberry even say that iphones are fragile stuffs

another thing is, i see iphone is somewhat more complex than blackberry, in terms of setting, etc.
    02-23-10 12:19 PM
    another thing is, i see iphone is somewhat more complex than blackberry, in terms of setting, etc.
    I think you mean the other way around. Blackberry is more flexible in terms of settings and you can customize your BB with themes. I believe with iPhone you have to jail brake your phone to get themes.
    02-23-10 12:26 PM
    oh yeah, one thing i always worry about is that i've seen my friend's iphone broken because of carelessness, and i'm quite a careless person sometimes. lol. my friends who use blackberry even say that iphones are fragile stuffs

blackberries are fragile as well. water damage is a major cause. iphone complex? nah. it depends on what your uses are. you mentioned you don't need it for email. then iphone fits your need. blackberry is made for email. bbm is a very nice thing to have but you have other messenger clients that can be relatively used on the iphone. social networking is a strength for both the iphone and blackberry.
    02-23-10 12:33 PM
    i would juz get BB,,who cares about the price
    02-23-10 12:37 PM
    I think you mean the other way around. Blackberry is more flexible in terms of settings and you can customize your BB with themes. I believe with iPhone you have to jail brake your phone to get themes.
    yes, you got my point. and yeah, your statement on jailbroken iphones are true, but i'm rather worried about the risks. while if it's not jailbroken, the iphone won't be as colorful and lively as it would have been, lol.

my main consideration for taking BB is the BBM, while for iphone, is the apps. man..making decision on technological devices really confuses me.
    02-23-10 12:37 PM
    Hmmm they are to totally different types of devices, I can attest to this after having owned multiple blackberries and an iphone 3GS which is what I am using at the moment.

If you do a lot of web browsing, like using apps and like a nice polished interface i'd go with the iphone.

If you want a hardware keyboard and don't mind some occasional jankyness you'll be fine with a blackberry.

It's all personal preference, give them both a try.
    02-23-10 01:01 PM
    yes, you got my point. and yeah, your statement on jailbroken iphones are true, but i'm rather worried about the risks. while if it's not jailbroken, the iphone won't be as colorful and lively as it would have been, lol.

my main consideration for taking BB is the BBM, while for iphone, is the apps. man..making decision on technological devices really confuses me.
    In terms of apps, yes iPhone does have more apps but most of them are repeats and a lot are useless. There are like 100 different fart button apps for the iPhone versus 1 for blackberry storm. Seriously how many fart sound can you make. Haha.

Are you big on games because iPhone wins this area hands down? If you're not, bb got some serious productivity apps. Pretty much any kind functional apps for iPhone, blackberry already have.
    02-24-10 04:03 AM
    Pretty much any kind functional apps for iPhone, blackberry already have.
    Often times however, iPhone counterparts are much better. Evernote anyone?
    02-24-10 04:13 AM
    the minus of iphone compared to bb is the battery life isnt it? moreover you need to pay to have some apps, unless it's jailbroken. if i use iphone, i'd go for the jailbroken ones, but i'm quite afraid of the risks though lol.

some ppl said crappy things about the risks of jailbroken phone, such as apple would refuse to repair it if it's broken, and the worst scenario is that the phone can stop working
    02-24-10 08:11 AM
    Jailbreaking should never be practiced. I know and understand the benefits of it, but then you open yourself to viruses, are prone to hacking attempts,... .

A device should be judged by the functionality it provides out of the box. The same applies to rooted Android devices.
    02-24-10 08:23 AM
    Jailbreaking should never be practiced. I know and understand the benefits of it, but then you open yourself to viruses, are prone to hacking attempts,... .

A device should be judged by the functionality it provides out of the box. The same applies to rooted Android devices.
    that's what concerns me. vulnerability to viruses and hackers
    02-24-10 08:32 AM
    i say stick to blackberry but that's got a lot to do with personal biases - best recommendation is to look at all carriers websites and decide which is the best option for you - every carrier offers different prices so its best to shop around
    02-28-10 03:53 AM
    go with the onyx, my personal choice. the iphone is a fad, it will die out soon.
    02-28-10 06:09 AM

I am considering a 4G iPhone to complement my Bberry - I don't ever see myself with an iPhone as my only phone. Tried it, not for me.

I've read a lot of discussions on the iPhone forum on the merits of jailbreaking, but I don't remember anyone cautioning that jailbreaking would expose the phone to hacking and viruses. If they do mention it, it's not nearly as much as the joys of a jailbroken iPhone.

My question to you....is there any way to know how high is the risk to jaibroken iPhones?
    02-28-10 06:54 AM
    So far iPhone doesn't have a shining reputation for security. AFAIK it's the only smartphone which has been compromised on a wide enough scale to form its own botnet. An Analysis of the iKeeB (duh) iPhone botnet (Worm) is a bit technical, but also see the References section.

Basically a jailbreak can expose the iphone to external attack. The only reason they can be jailbroken in the first place is through bad code (bugs) which create security holes to let the jailbreaker in and open bigger holes. The same goes for rooted Android devices - the initial way in is through an unpatched hole in security.

No advanced computing device like a smartphone is fully secure against an attacker with physical access, but most are reasonably secure in their out-of-box mode. If the user is dumb enough disable the security and leave the doors open for others to enter... Stoopid User.
    02-28-10 07:17 AM
    Thank you, Branta. It's good to hear the other side of the discussion. I didn't jailbreak the one I had last summer because I didn't want to deal with the trouble of it, and I must admit I didn't pay very much attention of the vulnerabilities.

For me, the only iPhone to have would then be out of the box. And out of the box the 3GS disappointed me greatly. I'll wait for the 4G...and for the new webkit. It will be miserable to wait to make a decision. If we get a berry with an improved native browser that provides Flash, I will have absolutely no need for a device that requires so much compromise from me.
    02-28-10 08:54 AM
    Never buy a phone that locks you to a single carrier! That gives you no options of unlocking or jailbraking a phone safely. The biggest offenders out there are the iPhone, Nexus One, and Sidekick.
    02-28-10 08:59 AM
    Like others have said, check what the prices are going for over in Australia and compare. To me I might b biased as I own a 9700 Bold, but have used an iPhone many a times as my friend has one. It is a nice phone for browsing the web and gaming, so if that is more important to you, then go that route. If you want to stay connected better to your family, then I would go the BB way. Also battery life is night and day, my Bold I can do twice if not more than what my friends iPhone can as I go 2 days to his 3/4 of a day and he don't even have a ton of apps. That is huge to me. Good luck to whatever you decide on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 10:45 AM
    I currently own an iPhone 3G, and I am switching to the Blackberry Bold 9700 for three main reasons :

- Battery life ; it is simply awful on the iPhone, won't even last a full day!

- Lack of a physical keyboard : that is something you should definitely consider, but if you think you're not going to use the phone for much email and messaging, that shouldn't be a great factor

- Lack of multitasking : Now, if you want to use IM clients, you'll have to stay on the app in your iPhone, if you close it, you're disconnected. If your phone goes on idle (auto-lock), you're disconnected. I haven't used their simili-multitask yet, but I don't really believe it's that great..
    02-28-10 02:34 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD