Did you buy the phone from AT&T? If you did, they update your account on their own. And yes, I said AT&T and T-Mobile DO NOT require a data package
    No, I didn't buy it from AT&T. I bought it off ebay and slipped my SIM card in.
    05-24-09 06:14 PM
    Is a BlackBerry without a data plan still a BlackBerry? I don't know.

Is a house without a roof still a house?

Is a car without wheels still a car?

A house without a roof is a house...without a roof, but provides no shelter.

A car without wheels is a car...without wheels. It won't take me anywhere I need/want to go.

A BlackBerry without a data plan...just makes no sense.

At least not to me.
    Love it! I get it now...totally. Thanks!
    05-24-09 06:16 PM
    Yes... I don't feel a bb would be really useful w/o it...just my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 06:46 PM
    push email is nice if you email a lot..
    05-24-09 07:46 PM
    Data plan for sure man! Pin your heart out, browse on a good browser and skyfire will come out hopefully soon and everyone has been saying its gonna be the best browser out there. And.. Go on CB on your berry!

05-24-09 07:50 PM
    YES you need the data plan. someone else said it, you would be missing alot of what a BB can do for you. BBM is great.
    05-24-09 07:54 PM
    also just because people here say you should get it, doesnt mean YOU SHOULD get it. Think about it and ask yourself weather your ready to shed 30 bucks every month.And if you are reading this, you are the resistance.
    05-24-09 10:09 PM
    I just had this discussion with AT&T Saturday, when I hooked up an unlocked, T-Mobile branded Pearl 8100 for my son on my AT&T account.

A data plan is not required by AT&T. I have it on my Curve 8320, but he does not have it on his Pearl 8100.

You could completely shut off data on your line, but if you do you won't be able to send/receive MMS messages (evidently they use the same transport as does data, but doesn't charge against your data use.) For whatever that's worth, I suppose.

To the OP? If you're not sure if you'll use it, why not go with a lesser, non-unlimited data plan and track your usage for a couple of months? If you find you're racking up more than the cost of the unlimited plan in data charges, switch. If you're not racking up more than the cost of the unlimited plan, don't switch.
    05-25-09 12:20 AM
    push email is nice if you email a lot..
    I am so sorry to seem so out of it...and I hear the term a lot online. Maybe I'll go look this up, but what is "push email"?
    05-25-09 01:49 PM
    also just because people here say you should get it, doesnt mean YOU SHOULD get it. Think about it and ask yourself weather your ready to shed 30 bucks every month.And if you are reading this, you are the resistance.
    Thank you. I have many more "go for it" rather than "maybe you shouldn't". I suppose it's ultimately up to me and my budget. I think what I'll do is try it for a month. Shed the $30 once...I can always take it off if I don't feel it's worth it.

Thanks so much for being so objective, BluCheze!
    05-25-09 01:51 PM
    I just had this discussion with AT&T Saturday, when I hooked up an unlocked, T-Mobile branded Pearl 8100 for my son on my AT&T account.

A data plan is not required by AT&T. I have it on my Curve 8320, but he does not have it on his Pearl 8100.

You could completely shut off data on your line, but if you do you won't be able to send/receive MMS messages (evidently they use the same transport as does data, but doesn't charge against your data use.) For whatever that's worth, I suppose.

To the OP? If you're not sure if you'll use it, why not go with a lesser, non-unlimited data plan and track your usage for a couple of months? If you find you're racking up more than the cost of the unlimited plan in data charges, switch. If you're not racking up more than the cost of the unlimited plan, don't switch.
    That's an awesome idea! Thanks for thinking out of the box! I love it! Thanks iamtim!
    05-25-09 01:52 PM
    I am so sorry to seem so out of it...and I hear the term a lot online. Maybe I'll go look this up, but what is "push email"?

Never mind, got it: "(1) Automatically transmitting e-mail messages that have been received by a desktop or server mail system to a PDA, laptop or other portable device to keep mobile users up-to-date.

(2) Automatically transmitting selected sports scores, weather and other news to a user via e-mail. This type of push technology uses e-mail as its distribution method rather than a specialized client application."
    05-25-09 02:08 PM
    Thank you. I have many more "go for it" rather than "maybe you shouldn't". I suppose it's ultimately up to me and my budget. I think what I'll do is try it for a month. Shed the $30 once...I can always take it off if I don't feel it's worth it.

Thanks so much for being so objective, BluCheze!
    I'm glad its working for you. I am in the same situation. Right now I have the unlimited datat with txtx so my bill should be around 80. Now I have internet at home and work and occacionally go out. They main reason why I think I'm going to keep it is bc all the balcberry app work with the data plan. I know that's a silly thing but I kind of want to be able to use my bb as a productive devide. I am also thinking of just deleting the plan if I see that I can't afford 35 a month. I'm not being cheap I just don't want to spend money in things that are unnecessary when were at a recession.

05-26-09 01:43 AM
    Check to see what their price is for Phone As Modem (or Tethering), and what it includes. You may be able to get rid of what you're paying for home internet, end up with BB and it all be a wash .

My plan is a bit older but at the time Sprint charged $39.99mo. for PAM and that included internet on the BB as well (unlimited data on BB and on computer).

Or I could have chosen just internet on the BB for $30mo... I chose PAM and unlimited everything for $40mo!
    Last edited by bfoster; 05-27-09 at 08:59 PM.
    05-27-09 08:56 PM
    Data plan is a MUST!!!!

05-27-09 09:02 PM

if your familiar with text messaging how the SMS message simply appears on your phone without you having to go look it up or have your phone grab it..

Push email works the same way. Your email is "pushed" to your device and just shows up and alerts you of a new email. No need for your phone to go get it or for you to manually go get it. Its just there.
    05-27-09 09:29 PM
    I don't know about the data plan being "optional" from my experiences you are REQUIRED to have a data plan with any blackberry from any carrier due to RIM's agreement w/the carriers....if you find one that doesn't require it...let me know....
    T-Mobile lets you get a blackberry without a data plan. They will sell you the Blackberry and not even offer you a data plan for it.
    05-28-09 04:39 AM
    I would recommend getting a data plan for your blackberry, to me it is essential although not everyone has the same opinon. The data plan is the basis of my whole 'Berry imo without it I would't be able to use BBM, Windows Live Messenger or the browser to check CB and nose around on Facebook.

Data plans can be expensive but I got a pretty good deal - at the time I got my contract Orange UK were throwing in 500mb BIS data plan for all new Blackberrys -- which means I actually don't pay for my data I only pay for my minutes, texts and insurance!
    05-28-09 04:51 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD