If this is addressed in another forum already, please forgive me - I am new to this forum.

I received a Playbook for Xmas and love it - but I can see where I might love it even better if I had a BB phone to bridge with...which brings me to my question.

Because I do not want to sign a contract for cell phone service, I have been using Cricket, which I love. No problems with them at all. I currently have an Android phone through them that, while I'm not crazy about, it does do everything I want it to do. I could buy a Curve 8530 through Cricket - same monthly rate... but do I want to? Several people have told me I wouldn't like it since I have had an android phone....

For those of you who have had both, what are some of the disadvantages of this particular BB phone? What would I be giving up by leaving my android phone? Would the benefits associated with being able to bridge to the playbook outweigh these lsot features?????

I am really confused as to what I should do, so any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    01-05-12 03:02 PM
    Depends on your needs. If you like the apps and all the frills of the UI etc, then stick with Android. If you are more of a "communicator" and want to email, SMS, Facebook etc. easily and with a keyboard, try out BB.

Don't think it will make you love the Playbook any more (I personally don't Bridge often) so it's all a matter of preference.
    01-05-12 03:28 PM
    If this is addressed in another forum already, please forgive me - I am new to this forum.

I received a Playbook for Xmas and love it - but I can see where I might love it even better if I had a BB phone to bridge with...which brings me to my question.

Because I do not want to sign a contract for cell phone service, I have been using Cricket, which I love. No problems with them at all. I currently have an Android phone through them that, while I'm not crazy about, it does do everything I want it to do. I could buy a Curve 8530 through Cricket - same monthly rate... but do I want to? Several people have told me I wouldn't like it since I have had an android phone....

For those of you who have had both, what are some of the disadvantages of this particular BB phone? What would I be giving up by leaving my android phone? Would the benefits associated with being able to bridge to the playbook outweigh these lsot features?????

I am really confused as to what I should do, so any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    I had a prepaid Curve 8530 for over a year and I would strongly be against it. The OS version is already 2 behind, as it was released a few years ago (Runs 5.0, current version is 7.1), so you would miss out on all of nice changes from the past 2 years.

The screen resolution is also poor, and in my opinion, the size of the phone is just too small. Not to mention the awful web browsing and sometimes laggy UI.

On the other hand, you would certainly get more out of your PlayBook with a BlackBerry, but this is not the BlackBerry you are looking for.
    01-05-12 03:31 PM
    Used to use bb, now on second android. No intention of trying bb again unless os10 is completely astonishing.
    Another problem is lack of apps, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    01-05-12 03:39 PM
    I have a PlayBook and a 9810 Torch. I Bridge quite often, in fact I am typing this on my PlayBook while Bridged. I would encourage you to purchase an OS7 phone off contract. Go to your local retailer and try out the different styles. That will help you decide what will work for you. The OS7 phones are fast, have a fluid user experience, and are great communication devices. There are plenty of apps to meet you productivity, communication and entertainment needs.
    01-05-12 07:35 PM
    Yes, get a BB phone.
    01-05-12 08:29 PM
    I would also recommend looking at the new OS7 devices, they are a HUGE upgrade. I went from a Curve 9300 to a Galaxy S because the OS5 (updated to OS6) device was a bit of a burden.

I decided to give the new Curve 9360 a try and am quite pleased with it. Way faster and a lot more productive because of the keyboard.
    01-05-12 08:49 PM
    Damn, the Curve 8530... I've had one. Not the best BB out there. The only ones I'd recommend from the Curve series are the 9300 and the 8900. The "Javelin" still looks great!
    01-05-12 08:51 PM
    Look there's nothing wrong w/ the 8530. Would you still have your android phone? If so you can just go back to it if you don't like the BB. I have a 8520 which is just a gsm version other than that the same. Only down side is its not 3g.
    Will cricket let you bring your own hardware to the service? If you can check out craiglist and buy. Something like a bold I you want 3g.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-12 08:55 PM
    I highly recommend looking into a 9900 but if you want cost-effective, the new 9360 Curves look really nice. If you like touchscreens, the 9860 is available for $50 on contract (I know you said you don't want a contract but I think its the way to go). Anywho, as its been mentioned, bridge takes Playbook to a new level of functionality. The right phone for you is always the one that has what you want.
    01-05-12 10:37 PM
    Last year my wife traded her new android for an old 8530 and couldn't be happier. (Though she does have her eye on the 9900...)

Bridge works fine for her, but she doesn't really use it as much as she thought she would. YMMV, of course.

My advice? If you're happy with your phone, don't switch phones just for bridge -- and if you must, go for the 9900
    01-05-12 11:10 PM
    Root the green robot and get free wifi. Problem solved. Then you have Android & Qnx to play with.
    01-05-12 11:23 PM
    Root the green robot and get free wifi. Problem solved. Then you have Android & Qnx to play with.
    I have no idea what exactly this means...
    01-06-12 09:25 AM
    First of all Welcome to Crackberry forums, you will find here anything you need (or don't need) to know about Blackberry.

I think that a Blackberry Bold 9900 or Bold 9790 and a playbook is the best combination.
    I recommend you to get yourself a OS7 Blackberry device with a pysical keyboard.
    01-06-12 02:41 PM
    First of all Welcome to Crackberry forums, you will find here anything you need (or don't need) to know about Blackberry.

I think that a Blackberry Bold 9900 or Bold 9790 and a playbook is the best combination.
    I recommend you to get yourself a OS7 Blackberry device with a pysical keyboard.
    I'd make the same recommendation as well, but it appears that the 8530 is the only BB available on Cricket. Of course, I have my PB bridged all day long, so that's where I'm coming from. If the OP is going to make use of the bridge, I'd suggest giving the 8530 a try. Except for the browser, BB OS5 isn't that bad, and you'd probably be doing most of your browsing with the PlayBook anyway. While the bridge on later OS's is faster, it's definitely usable on an OS5 device.

Oh yeah ...welcome to CB!
    01-06-12 02:55 PM
    i have the droid 2 and the bb9930 and storm 2. I switch back and forth all the time.I have the best of all worlds.No problems at all. So keep them ,and you will enjoy all. Sometimes i switch twice in one day.Verizon is the best for doing this.
    01-06-12 03:17 PM
    Because I do not want to sign a contract for cell phone service, I have been using Cricket, which I love.
    T-Mobile offers prepaid BlackBerry service. $60/month for unlimited talk, text, web & BIS. You can get the Bold 9900, Torch 9810, Curve 9360, Curve 9300 or Curve 8520.

With my T-Mobile 9900, I can Bridge or even use Mobile Hotspot, without any extra fees.
    01-06-12 03:28 PM
    I switched from an LG optimus 3D running android 2.2 (phone was used for a 2 months and is currently in a box in my closet) to a Blackberry 9300 (curve 3g) i do think bridge is worth it for one of the reasons, but not the only reason, there are lot of things that are better on Blackberry phones.
    01-06-12 04:05 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

As much as I would love to recommend a BlackBerry device, you should know what you're geting into beforehand.

I wouldn't recommend anything before the OS7 devices, as they are vastly outdated in comparison to the current BBs.

Now, if you use a lot of apps and play a lot of games, I wouldn't recommend a BB. The app selection in BB AppWorld isn't bad and is growing, it cannot be compared to the Android Market. App World has most of the core apps, though.

If you use your device primarily for communication, then I would definitely get a BB. It will not only increase the usability and enjoyment of the PB, ot would also greatly enhance your efficiency of communication.

My personal recommendation would be the Torch 9810. With a large touchscreen and a slightly smaller keyboard than the Bold 9900, you wouldn't miss your touchscreen Android so much.

Good luck with your choice and I hope you choose whatever works best for you! Again, welcome to the forums!
    01-07-12 01:08 AM

Thanks!
    a lot of people may disagree with me but for blackberry newbies i always recommend to start out with a curve series model. this way if you don't like blackberry you won't be as disappointed as if you were to start out with the bold line.

only get a blackberry if communications takes priority over entertainment.
    01-07-12 04:53 AM

Thanks!
    by the way
    if you happen to write in French or German quite frequently (as i have been for the past 2 months) then blackberry is by far the best. I have tried to do the same with iMessage with my iPod and it has driven me crazy.

01-07-12 05:08 AM
    I wouldn't reccommend that bb model tbh especially coming from an android. It will feel like quite a step down imo. Newer devices with o/s 7 are much more in line. But having said that I still know plenty of people that use and love older curves so maybe you should try one and see.
    01-08-12 04:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD