If how long an OS has been around proves that it is better, then since QNX has been around decades longer than iOS and Android, QNX is far superior.

QNX is not an OS. QNX vs Linux maybe?

Silly argument, IMHO. If we all agree that QNX would be on the phone the heavenly host would use (as well as nuclear reactors), can we lay this particular segment of the argument to rest? LOL.
    04-01-12 08:01 PM
    QNX is not an OS. QNX vs Linux maybe?
    What part of OS (operating system) do you not understand? All three, QNX, Android and iOS, are UNIX based operating systems. Linux, is a UNIX based operating system.

QNX Real Time Operating System
    The QNX� Neutrino� RTOS is a full-featured and robust OS that scales down to meet the constrained resource requirements of realtime embedded systems. Its true microkernel design and its modular architecture enable customers to create highly optimized and reliable systems with low total cost of ownership. It offers the embedded industry�s only field-proven, clean strategy for migrating from single-core to multi-core processing.
    04-02-12 09:28 AM
    What part of OS (operating system) do you not understand? All three, QNX, Android and iOS, are UNIX based operating systems. Linux, is a UNIX based operating system.

QNX Real Time Operating System
    The QNX� Neutrino� RTOS is a full-featured and robust OS that scales down to meet the constrained resource requirements of realtime embedded systems. Its true microkernel design and its modular architecture enable customers to create highly optimized and reliable systems with low total cost of ownership. It offers the embedded industry�s only field-proven, clean strategy for migrating from single-core to multi-core processing.
    I get it just fine.

The opening line in my last post missed the term "mobile." You compared the longevity of QNX to a mobile OS, and seemingly framed it as an advantage of QNX. I see your point, but if we are in essence comparing kernels, then... ugh... never mind..

Look, I know the famed "robust" nature of QNX is supposedly the end-all of mobile computing as we know it, but the proposal by Addicted makes a bit more sense now than it did a year ago, personal feelings aside.

BTW, that QNX quote has to be the MOST famous quote in the recent history of CB...
    04-02-12 09:54 AM
    Why would anyone buy a BerryDroid?
    By providing an Android app runtime, isn't this kind of what Playbook is?

And it's potentially a slippery slope as it could serve to disincentivize developers; if they don't NEED to adopt the BB10 APIs but instead can do nothing or little and just hope it runs OK, then fewer native apps may be available.

(RIM should think long and hard about Apple with regard to this issue as Apple faced a similar dilemma back when Apple was in similar straights as RIM is now and Macs had a dearth of applications. Many posited that they should they create a Win32 runtime to enable Windows apps to run, but if that were possible, who'd write Mac apps?)

In my opinion, the Android runtime is a bad idea... Is it really any different than layering BB UI over top of Android underpinnings to make a next-gen BB?

-CFOT
    04-02-12 10:52 AM
    By providing an Android app runtime, isn't this kind of what Playbook is?

And it's potentially a slippery slope as it could serve to disincentivize developers; if they don't NEED to adopt the BB10 APIs but instead can do nothing or little and just hope it runs OK, then fewer native apps may be available.

(RIM should think long and hard about Apple with regard to this issue as Apple faced a similar dilemma back when Apple was in similar straights as RIM is now and Macs had a dearth of applications. Many posited that they should they create a Win32 runtime to enable Windows apps to run, but if that were possible, who'd write Mac apps?)

In my opinion, the Android runtime is a bad idea... Is it really any different than layering BB UI over top of Android underpinnings to make a next-gen BB?

-CFOT
    Just the other day I read that mac users run Windows software in a virtual environment all the time.
    04-02-12 11:09 AM
    That will ruin the blackberry feel in a way. We are going to have BB10 anyway and that will be upto par with android and ios (hopefully)

If not, I believe then that is their last stand. This is because if they try reviving bbos after bb10 (hopefully they won't), it will look silly and the company will either go down with the ship or bail out the water.

This BB10 future gamble looks very serious.

Android doesn't look like the way to go as of now. it maybe is needed later on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    04-02-12 11:14 AM
    but the proposal by Addicted makes a bit more sense now than it did a year ago, personal feelings aside.
    It made more sense over a year ago than it does now. How does it make more sense now? Over a year ago, there was no QNX, no Playbook and no rumored BB10 phone. At that point, RIM considering using Android would be a reasonable idea. But, by buying QNX and a dozen other mobile development companies, going with Android would be a waste of effort. It is now play big or close shop time for RIM. Being another Johnny Come Lately to the Android market does not put them beyond the current offerings.

As I pointed out in my first response to Addicted; the QNX Porsche is a hint at RIMs future. If they want to grow, they need to expand beyond running phones and tablets. If they want to grow big, they need to make it possible for different QNX devices to interact with each other beyond the basic Bluetooth type connection. This is what that demo car was all about.

But, for advancements to continue, there needs to be competition. There is plenty of room in the phone market for iOS, Android and RIM. And frankly, after the iPad 3 disappointment, and if the iPhone 5 (or whatever they will call it) doesn't deliver more, then it will signal that Apple is nothing without Jobs, just as it was when he was fired before.
    04-02-12 02:52 PM
    It made more sense over a year ago than it does now. How does it make more sense now? Over a year ago, there was no QNX, no Playbook and no rumored BB10 phone. At that point, RIM considering using Android would be a reasonable idea. But, by buying QNX and a dozen other mobile development companies, going with Android would be a waste of effort. It is now play big or close shop time for RIM. Being another Johnny Come Lately to the Android market does not put them beyond the current offerings.

As I pointed out in my first response to Addicted; the QNX Porsche is a hint at RIMs future. If they want to grow, they need to expand beyond running phones and tablets. If they want to grow big, they need to make it possible for different QNX devices to interact with each other beyond the basic Bluetooth type connection. This is what that demo car was all about.

But, for advancements to continue, there needs to be competition. There is plenty of room in the phone market for iOS, Android and RIM. And frankly, after the iPad 3 disappointment, and if the iPhone 5 (or whatever they will call it) doesn't deliver more, then it will signal that Apple is nothing without Jobs, just as it was when he was fired before.
    The iPad 3 "disappointment?"

There are a lot of companies that would pay for that disappointment.

But, here is why I say it could make more sense now: my theory is predicated upon the theory that it is all about the ecosystem. So far, RIM's attempts to bridge the gap have not been overly successful so far, even with the Android Player.

So, unless we assume that this will change drastically with BB10, RIM may not be able to make up ground (on the other hand, I am also one of those that believe that RIM does NOT necessarily have to beat Apple to win).

So, theorizing that RIM is still trailing in the eco-war, it makes sense that they look for a more direct way to compete. Using Android (in addition o BB10) does that for them... in theory.

But back to my shameless disclaimer: I don't want that to happen. Multiple OSes spawn competition. I like competition.
    04-02-12 06:49 PM
    The iPad 3 "disappointment?"

There are a lot of companies that would pay for that disappointment.

But, here is why I say it could make more sense now: my theory is predicated upon the theory that it is all about the ecosystem. So far, RIM's attempts to bridge the gap have not been overly successful so far, even with the Android Player.

So, unless we assume that this will change drastically with BB10, RIM may not be able to make up ground (on the other hand, I am also one of those that believe that RIM does NOT necessarily have to beat Apple to win).

So, theorizing that RIM is still trailing in the eco-war, it makes sense that they look for a more direct way to compete. Using Android (in addition o BB10) does that for them... in theory.

But back to my shameless disclaimer: I don't want that to happen. Multiple OSes spawn competition. I like competition.
    Well, it seems that even though the new iDevices do well in the market, people are getting privy to Apple's practices. Instead of reviewers saying "No matter what you have, you have to get the new i_____", they're now saying "Well, if you have the i______, then this is a good upgrade, if you have the i_____, then it's an alright upgrade." I feel that iOS' UI is getting a bit stale, and if iOS 5 or 6 doesn't offer significant updates soon, people will notice (I'm hearing reviewers say this now). That's what happened to BlackBerry. Google is innovating more than Apple these days, in my opinion.

RIM needs to close the key app gap, not the quantitative app gap. They need Skype, Netflix, ESPN, etc. soon, either by launch or soon after. But if the BB10 phones are sporting a lot of cool, unique, innovative out-of-the-box features, then I'm sure people will give it a shot and love it. From the pictures we've seen, the UI on BB10 looks to be like nothing we've seen before, and the devices are rumored to have specs not yet matched.

I, for one, am looking forward to BB10 with excitement!
    04-02-12 07:28 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD