Kinda bass-ackwards to the way Apple did theirs. Took an entertainment device and grew it into a system. PlayBook was a different approach and then downsizing it into a phone OS probably made for extra challenges.
    03-30-12 09:39 PM
    Is it really backwards? If so who says? Didn't the others go the other way because they all ready had the phone OS? I don't think they would be close to the phone OS without the test bed pb.
    03-30-12 09:42 PM
    Is it really backwards? If so who says? Didn't the others go the other way because they all ready had the phone OS? I don't think they would be close to the phone OS without the test bed pb.
    Didn't mean to infer they were doing it wrong, just doing it their own way. The larger device does make for a better testing platform then scale down instead of up.
    03-30-12 10:12 PM
    Had no idea if it was a hindrance or not.
    03-30-12 10:23 PM
    If BB joined the Android ship i would proly jump off a bridge.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    03-30-12 10:28 PM
    If BB is to die (knock wood), I want it to die as itself and not some another Android partner. The QNX is unique and is not iOS nor Android.... And it powers nuclear power plants
    03-30-12 10:34 PM
    If BB is to die (knock wood), I want it to die as itself and not some another Android partner. The QNX is unique and is not iOS nor Android.... And it powers nuclear power plants
    Uh, no, that would be uranium. It may manage nuclear plant systems, but it doesn't power them.
    03-30-12 10:41 PM
    NOPE

Andriod is 'popular' cause its pretty much on every phone thats not BB or iPhone.

There are some android fans, but I'd be they are dwarfed by Apple fans. I don't see it adding value to blackberry, or really bringing on extra cosumers since I'd assume most androids fans are big into specs, whcih obviously isn't RIMs thing. Theres already too many options when it comes to android.
    03-30-12 10:53 PM
    What is the obsession with android on here. It isn't the greatest thing there is. I don't care how many apps they have.
    I have no idea. I get a head ache using it. There is something about it that I can't stand (well I think there are a number of things) but I can't put my finger on it.

I have used iOS and don't mind using it on my sister's phone for something to do but every time I use it I realize that I couldn't own that phone.

With Andriod I don't even like using it. I have tried it on 4 devices and didn't like it at all. On a high end phone I was impressed with the speed of the phone but aggravated by the software.

I think it it would be last on my list of phone os I would want to own.

James
    03-30-12 10:55 PM
    First Android was the HTC Dream/G1 in the latter half of 08, right before I got my first 8330 Curve.

Yes I know. The tmo phone right? That one sucked so bad I intentionally did not mention it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-30-12 10:59 PM
    And if software which has been on the market for 3 years and is built by one pf the best SW companies ever has bugs, how many bugs do you think brand new SW will have?

The drivers are not written by google. These are written by broadcom. And guess what. The issues are still not fixed. I only found out because a coworker has trouble with 2 of his android phones in this manner on 2 of our wireless networks.

The point I was making is google does not control the hardware on android. Hence when confronted with the evidence they passed the buck to broadcom.

03-30-12 11:06 PM

Unlike most, I came feeling better for RIM after the earnings report than before because for the 1st time management did not sound delusional. And as Thorstein said, RIM cannot do everything and is better of partnering for some things while they focus on their strengths. Building the plumbing of an operating system is not one of their strengths.

T Heins most certainly does feel RIM needs their own OS from everything I have read.

03-30-12 11:10 PM
    I have no idea. I get a head ache using it. There is something about it that I can't stand (well I think there are a number of things) but I can't put my finger on it.

I have used iOS and don't mind using it on my sister's phone for something to do but every time I use it I realize that I couldn't own that phone.

With Andriod I don't even like using it. I have tried it on 4 devices and didn't like it at all. On a high end phone I was impressed with the speed of the phone but aggravated by the software.

I think it it would be last on my list of phone os I would want to own.

James
    I get frustrated using it as well. Part of it I think is that in terms of the core OS with no third party apps, most of the core functions kind of suck. I don't like the stock browser, email, calendar, or phone clients. Everything seems disconnected or mashed together. I call it a Frankenstein OS. Like ramming square pegs into round holes.

That being said, with time and effort, you can add some third party apps to replace the crappy Android ones to make it seem like an integrated product (something you get out of the box with BB and to be fair iOS as well).

One thing the core Android does well though is app installation. As much as using the PB is 10x better than on a BB phone, the app process for BB and iOS I find is still better than on the PB (I still find it takes too long to install and it always disconnects if I install more than one app at once). Added to that, you have a larger variety of choice in handsets... though really at the end of the day for my tastes I only like Samsung's phones and as much as I like them, they are really milking the 'Galaxy' thing. People complain about RIMs phones all being the same. Have you tried to count the number of Samsung Galaxy phones they put out that look exactly the same!?! Samsung can't even keep track I bet!

Anyhow, I'm not a big fan of the core Android experience and I think the only reason it is popular (or as popular as it is) is because it is free so manufacturers can put it on their devices. It's the new... what, Symbian? And people like it because you can get them cheap and load them up with free useless apps :-) But admittedly that's a personal viewpoint. I read how people have loads of apps on their phones, but for me, I've literally got about 30 installed and after the last wipe and reinstall (yes, you have to do them on Android to now and again), I decided to not reinstall anything I don't use on a daily basis which included all the games as I was tired of seeing ads in them all the time. Seriously, yes you can get Angry Birds for free but when the ads pop up while playing it annoys the heck out of me.

There are strengths for sure in Android, but it isn't the end all and be all. I really hope RIM recovers. Would like to come back (trying to but can't justify forking out $600 for a new bold not on contract) but I know if I do, I'll be one of those who carriers two devices. BB for email, phone, contacts, calendar... and Android likely for the other apps I need that I can't get on BB and that nice big screen for browsing the web.
    03-30-12 11:18 PM
    It took a while for me to cotton to Android, but the overall functionality won me over eventually.

Dunno... Addicted does have some points. Adopting Android does fix the ecosystem issue, which I believe is RIM's biggest problem right now.

Still the consumer in me wants some differentiation. I still haven't recovered from Palm marrying WinMo in the name of those funky Treos.
    03-30-12 11:23 PM
    T Heins most certainly does feel RIM needs their own OS from everything I have read.

I am not suggesting RIM should not have their own OS. Heck, they should not even mention Android anywhere in their marketing. But an OS is not a monolithic thing. There are many levels to it. I think RIM should focus its limited engineering on creating their own user experience and integrating their unique assets into it, instead of worrying about the non-user facing parts, which they can fork off from android for free.

As far as the user is concerned, it isn't Android at all. Except most Android apps would work fine on it. As far as devs are concerned, they can easily port their Android apps. And RIM would be much faster to the market and still provide users with a true BB experience.

Anyways, the point is moot. RIM has gone all in with BB10. It better be a remarkably polished OS (which is possible assuming the tablet experience transfers well to phones) because otherwise RIM will be in deep trouble. Even then I am not sure that will be enough because it will be difficult to get the development community rallying around them, but crazier things have happened in the past.
    03-31-12 12:51 AM
    The drivers are not written by google. These are written by broadcom. And guess what. The issues are still not fixed. I only found out because a coworker has trouble with 2 of his android phones in this manner on 2 of our wireless networks.

The point I was making is google does not control the hardware on android. Hence when confronted with the evidence they passed the buck to broadcom.

But this wouldn't be true for RIM, which does control its own hardware. They can simply choose a different manufacturer of Qualcomm's drivers aren't doing the job or possibly even write their own drivers.
    03-31-12 12:54 AM
    Why would anyone buy a BerryDroid? If I want an Android I would get one from the current vendors. There are some good ones out there. RIM was n very known for their cutting edge hardware. Motorola RAZR DROID and Samsung S2 are cutting edge on hardware.

A BB is always more about the OS and integration. BerryDroid would fall faster than light going into a black hole.
    I prefer the BB OS. It is a no nonsense OS. The keyboard is a huge plus but even on a full touch device I would prefer the BB OS. I like the Torch 9860.

Android on BB...most assured thing I have heard. RIM should shut shop before putting android on BB.
    03-31-12 01:24 AM
    But this wouldn't be true for RIM, which does control its own hardware. They can simply choose a different manufacturer of Qualcomm's drivers aren't doing the job or possibly even write their own drivers.
    I suppose if RIM could just pull out the good part of Android, develop its own fork that is somehow compatible with all Android apps in general, build in support for PINs/NOC-based services, control the hardware and write its own drivers or fix the issues with the stock Android ones, then yes, I'd be open to it.
    04-01-12 09:03 AM
    It would be interesting if RIM became a handset maker for Android and developed their own UI for it (like sense, touchwiz, etc). So much of the android experience and functionality comes from the manufacturer's UI. The stock browser, calendar, messaging app, etc are different on each UI, for example. Different widgets are offered. The launcher and task bar have different features. I'd love to see a new UI get thrown into the mix. They could incorporate some of the things that RIM does best, like an added security layer and its own messenger (like iMessage and the rumored Samsung messenger). Also, since they'd be making the handset, they can include superior call quality and a beacon of an LED. I'd be all for a device like that.
    04-01-12 09:33 AM
    1) It is better than QNX. This is absolutely a fact right now because Android is actually shipping on phones (and has been for several years) while QNX isn't.
    If how long an OS has been around proves that it is better, then since QNX has been around decades longer than iOS and Android, QNX is far superior.

2) It will likely be better than QNX for a while. Once QNX is released, it is unlikely to match up to Android in terms of combination of features, stability and quality. This is because Android has had a long time to fix a bunch of bugs and issues which RIM hasn't.
    QNX is on many more devices than Android or iOS, it isn't limited to just phones and tablets.

3) Android has apps. QNX doesn't. Android will be getting apps at a faster rate Than QNX even after it is released.
    QNX can run Android apps, HTML 5, Native (c,c++) and Flash/Air apps. When QNX has been on the phone for as long as Android, then compare the number of apps available.

4) Adopting Android allows RIM to let Google build the plumbing and get it for almost free, ...
    There is no point in RIM using Android for an OS, it might as well give up the phone business at that point. Any other phone maker would simply provide a similar phone to whatever RIM provides. Reducing competition in OSs leads to stagnation, look at the PC market.

The QNX Porsche shows the possible future of devices. Being able to interact with other QNX devices will open up more possibilities than just a basic Bluetooth/ANT+/NCF connection. If RIM continues down the path with QNX being used on many non-phone devices and then provide a display readout through the BB 10 phones or tablet and with the security RIM is known for, RIM will be able to chip out a good sized market share.
    sir.dangerfield and Bobcat665 like this.
    04-01-12 09:45 AM
    Bad idea. When you put Android on a phone it just gets lost in the crowd of 100 other Android phones that have identical or better specs.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    04-01-12 10:10 AM
    Dont agree with you, only except for the last point CRACK.
    04-01-12 05:15 PM
    How about this? Within 1 year's time, there will be a motorola, an HTC or an LG running Android OS and shaped exactly like a BB9000. That will cause me to abandon ship faster than you can say "Nationwide BIS outage" RIM's only hope in getting me back is if the aforementioned phone is proven to cause leprosy.
    04-01-12 06:05 PM
    Worst suggestion ever! Keep android on androids.
    04-01-12 06:46 PM
    Absolutely not.
    04-01-12 07:25 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD