I was on a site today called "FreshPatents" and it seems BlackBerry has quite a few predictive text patents. One patent I recognized was one similar to the "Swype". My question to you is should BlackBerry sue for predictive text keyboards?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 02:27 AM
    Nope, coz the bb10 predictive keyboard is on a whole new level than swype.. in terms of originality,

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 02:36 AM
    I was on a site today called "FreshPatents" and it seems BlackBerry has quite a few predictive text patents. One patent I recognized was one similar to the "Swype". My question to you is should BlackBerry sue for predictive text keyboards?

Posted via CB10
    who would they sue? and even if they did, i'm sure Samsung, Apple or Nokia would get involved and create a giant mess. lots of $$ lost in litigation fees.. i don't think it's a good plan... but let's see how that lawsuit against Ryan Seacrest's startup goes. I'm sure they'll win, it looks like they outright copied the Q10 keyboard lol but we'll see.
    01-09-14 02:41 AM
    For those who don't know, BB had to license much of the tech from the BB10 software keyboard from SwiftKey. It isn't BB's IP.
    JeepBB, mornhavon and avt123 like this.
    01-09-14 05:35 PM
    For those who don't know, BB had to license much of the tech from the BB10 software keyboard from SwiftKey. It isn't BB's IP.
    They still did the ground work coding the os keyboard together, more then swift keys ip involvement.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    01-09-14 05:47 PM
    They still did the ground work coding the os keyboard together, more then swift keys ip involvement.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    Wha? Where on earth did you come to this conclusion? It's common knowledge that the BB10 keyboard is based on the SwiftKey keyboard engine. All BB did was tweak the UI of the keyboard.
    pantlesspenguin, JeepBB and avt123 like this.
    01-09-14 06:22 PM

Yeah ok. Was this in between solving famine and negotiating world peace?

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, JeepBB and avt123 like this.
    01-09-14 08:21 PM
    Nope, coz the bb10 predictive keyboard is on a whole new level than swype.. in terms of originality,

Posted via CB10
    Umm I think you missed the point. It's about BlackBerry suing. Plus the BB10 keyboard isn't original. BlackBerry had to license some stuff.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 08:38 PM
    can we all agree that it's a legal nightmare to begin with? BBRY is not Apple or Samsung in that they feel the need to patent everything and be in constant litigation.
    01-09-14 09:10 PM
    can we all agree that it's a legal nightmare to begin with? BBRY is not Apple or Samsung in that they feel the need to patent everything and be in constant litigation.
    They already own some 40000 patents so they could be in constant litigation if they'd like.
    01-09-14 09:53 PM
    They already own some 40000 patents so they could be in constant litigation if they'd like.
    true but it wouldn't be smart unless they were defending.
    01-09-14 10:12 PM
    BlackBerry keyboard isn't original. It's Swiftkey with a different look. The exact keyboard is found in android apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 11:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    Predictive texting started a loooooong time ago with Ericsson I believe, the T9 keyboard I believe it was called.

Nothing new.
    01-11-14 04:21 AM
    Predictive texting started a loooooong time ago with Ericsson I believe, the T9 keyboard I believe it was called.

Nothing new.
    Yeah I know. I had a pearl before. SureType also used T9 and guess what? It's one of BlackBerry's patents.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    01-11-14 05:46 AM
    Yeah I know. I had a pearl before. SureType also used T9 and guess what? It's one of BlackBerry's patents.

Posted via CB10
    Sure type is, T9 isn't which came out with predictive texting long before sure type, sure type is just a different keyboard layout with just 2 letters per button.
    01-11-14 06:15 AM
    I've used both. The BB10 virtual keyboard performs much better than SwiftKey.
    01-11-14 08:14 AM
    I've used both. The BB10 virtual keyboard performs much better than SwiftKey.
    There are some features I like better on each. SwiftKey is the keyboard I use when I'm on Android devices. On SwiftKey I like the flow feature and the long press on each key to get the corresponding number or symbol. On BB10 I like how after a word gets autocorrected but I actually meant what I typed, all I have to do is backspace once and the word changes back to what I had typed.

Aesthetically, I like how you can change the theme of SwiftKey, but I like the virtual frets on the BB10 keyboard. As I look at the keyboard on my Nexus 7, I'd love to have the purple theme I'm using now with the silver frets of the BB10 keyboard.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-11-14 11:07 AM
    Actually, BlackBerry was awarded a patent for the BB10 keyboard word prediction: RIM granted patent for BlackBerry 10 "word prediction" keyboard | MobileSyrup.com
    SDTRMG and ray689 like this.
    01-14-14 11:06 AM
    Actually, BlackBerry was awarded a patent for the BB10 keyboard word prediction: RIM granted patent for BlackBerry 10 "word prediction" keyboard | MobileSyrup.com
    So for those saying it's not any different, Case Closed.

Posted via CB10
    ital1 likes this.
    01-14-14 11:14 AM
    So for those saying it's not any different, Case Closed.
    Read up on Patent 8,224,393 and you'll see that the patent is not what Mobilesyrup (and a few other sites) thinks it is, since they didn't bother to learn or understand what "reduced keyboard" or "disambiguation" represent.

The patent is for a method of predicting text from input where each of the keys have an ambiguous input (as in, more than one letter). This patent differentiates the BB reduced keyboard from other reduced keyboards (like the T9 keyboard), by specifying a general QWERTY layout in a reduced and ambiguous form. As noted with the diagram included in the patent filing...

Should BlackBerry Sue For The Predictive Text Keyboard?-us08224393-20120717-d00001.jpg

Now I don't know if BBRY has/had intended future plans for this patent, or maybe perhaps somebody at RIM (not BBRY based on the date of the filing) suddenly noted that perhaps that not having previously patented that method of predictive text was an oversight needing to be corrected, or maybe some other reason... :shrug:

But the patent seems to have little bearing on the BB10 keyboard.
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 01-14-14 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammar
    01-14-14 12:26 PM
    Read up on Patent 8,224,393 and you'll see that the patent is not what Mobilesyrup (and a few other sites) thinks it is, since they didn't bother to learn or understand what "reduced keyboard" or "disambiguation" represent.

The patent is for a method of predicting text from input where each of the keys have an ambiguous input (as in, more than one letter). This patent differentiates the BB reduced keyboard from other reduced keyboards (like the T9 keyboard), by specifying a general QWERTY layout in a reduced and ambiguous form. As noted with the diagram included in the patent filing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US08224393-20120717-D00001.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	238599

Now I don't know if BBRY has/had intended future plans for this patent, or maybe perhaps somebody at RIM (not BBRY based on the date of the filing) suddenly noted that perhaps that not having previously patented that method of predictive text was an oversight needing to be corrected, or maybe some other reason... :shrug:

But the patent seems to have little bearing on the BB10 keyboard.
    I've reviewed the patent and it also speaks to the learning intelligence built into the keyboard.
    01-14-14 12:53 PM
    I've reviewed the patent and it also speaks to the learning intelligence built into the keyboard.
    Yes it does... but it does not patent the ability to use a learning intelligence. It only patents the method in which it learns from ambiguous input.
    01-14-14 12:57 PM
    Yes it does... but it does not patent the ability to use a learning intelligence. It only patents the method in which it learns from ambiguous input.
    That's how most patents work. Anybody can alter something on a patented product and differentiate it. There are other querty devices out there...see where I'm going with this.

Posted via CB10
    ital1 likes this.
    01-14-14 01:02 PM
    The fact still remains that they have patented IP for the keyboard.

Posted via my Z10
    ray689 likes this.
    01-14-14 01:03 PM
    That's how most patents work. Anybody can alter something on a patented product and differentiate it. There are other querty devices out there...see where I'm going with this.
    Sure there are other qwerty devices out there. However, there's only one "Reduced Qwerty Keyboard" that utilizes RIM/BBRY's method of disambiguation and applying that to word prediction.
    01-14-14 01:07 PM
39 12