Who said I was "against" BlackBerry? Given that my first BB was the 950 in 2001, I daresay that I've had one far longer than you, or 99.99% of the board. I finally saw the writing on the wall this year and jumped ship. So after almost 12 years invested in the platform -- and particularly after the last 3 extremely painful years -- I feel that what I have to say might have just a modicum of validity.
    I kept reading till I read you jumped ship. So what? You want us to jump with you? Do we look like jumpers to you?
    08-10-13 07:25 PM
    The US market isn't too fan based. It is too competitive. The main reasons I can see people buying BBs based on my opinions of the posts of this forum are they are BlackBerry fans or like the keyboard. Disappearing for two years almost certainly means they don't come back in my opinion. And as other markets get more competitive they don't do well in them either I would expect.

Also if they bail on the US how do they address what I think is their main weakness, not enough apps? Do you think leaving the US market will get better apps developed?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 07:29 PM
    I disagree many people in the USA follow BlackBerry and own their devices to include me and I live in the USA.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 07:37 PM
    As we know, nobody in the US likes blackberry.

Nobody buys BlackBerry in the US, should BlackBerry stop spending money in the US market? The people in the US only buy iphones and android anway.

By BlackBerry stop selling phones in the US and stop making commercial in the USA BlackBerry can save a lot of money and spent it in parts of the world were they actually like BlackBerry.

This means that BlackBerry is selling more, spent less money, and have higher market growth.

Why spent so much money in a market and get nothing out of it?

Just stop spending time and resources in USA and move then to other parts of the world.

What do you guys and girls think.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree many people in the USA follow BlackBerry and own their devices to include me and I live in the USA.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 07:39 PM
    Can't ignore US market as its the biggest tech investment country.. also to note now is the defense department approval of BB10 devices on their network.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 07:52 PM
    I think they need a Lumia 520 competitor (aka not the Q5) but not for the United States. A low cost, decent performing BlackBerry 10 device that they can afford to sell competitively against the 520 in other markets like Indonesia.
    With the way Blackberry made the Q5 look so cheap, I'm afraid that would be a harder task than it should be. They should have made the Q5 decently well built in the build quality department and not cheap plastic. Now, if they wanted to make the lower budget phone they need to really push the bar really low, and I doubt Blackberry could go any lower than the Q5, to be frank.

Question is why isn't the Q5 priced significantly lower?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 05:31 AM
    With the way Blackberry made the Q5 look so cheap, I'm afraid that would be a harder task than it should be. They should have made the Q5 decently well built in the build quality department and not cheap plastic. Now, if they wanted to make the lower budget phone they need to really push the bar really low, and I doubt Blackberry could go any lower than the Q5, to be frank.

Posted via CB10
    I trust that you have actually seen and held the Q5.

Regardless, I think that QWERTY phones have a very limited market in the USA.

The new Z30 may have a market in the USA but it would have to have Apple like build quality. They have two choices with the Z10 - they can come out with a new higher build quality, higher spec model to compete with the Iphone 5 or they can reduce the price of their phone to sell at cost.

I have come to think that they must either make the highest quality, best spec phones and sell at premium prices or they have to slash their prices to the bone to try increase their market share. The middle ground is not working.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-11-13 at 07:15 AM.
    08-11-13 07:05 AM
    Not even a question worth asking. No. Monumental mistake.

They are loosing markets share in almost every part of the world.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 07:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    It will be priced lower. Over time. I don't understand why BlackBerry price phones that way.
    08-11-13 08:33 AM
    This proposed strategy reminds me of a tantrum by a frustrated suitor. Not getting the desired affection from his lady love, he decides to stop all contact altogether in the hopes that she'll suddenly realize what she's missing. The big difference is that the there is a very remote chance that this will cause the lady to have a change of heart, whereas skipping the USA has no chance at all.
    08-11-13 08:41 AM
    I live in Los Angeles , where it's infested with iPhones and Samsung devices, and I proudly own a Z10. One of the best purchases I've made to date.

Besides, my data is encrypted and secure which gives me peace of mind against hacks, malware and snoopers. And since BlackBerry has a more or less a1% market share here in the states, maybe the NSA isn't too interested with ease dropping in on our data. Don't you think?

Didn't Obama hold a secret meeting with Top Tech Execs this week? Didn't read that Thorston was invited; which I take as Obama not being too interested in us BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 11:39 AM
    I'm pretty sure the poster meant "non-bias carrier" as in he believes that the US carriers spend the time, money and effort to stock BB10 devices just so they could have the fun of making BlackBerry die. Because carriers don't want to sell phones and make money, they just want to make BlackBerry dead.

That idea has always cracked me up. It is like some people think these "bias" carriers are forced to stock BlackBerry device against their will or something. They're not. If the US carriers wanted to hurt BlackBerry, it would be a whole lot cheaper and more effective for them to not carry their devices altogether. The fact that carriers are still stocking the phones after how poorly they have sold show that the carriers are actually doing a huge favor for BlackBerry.

BlackBerry made up 0.1% of the smartphones Verizon sold last quarter. That amount of phones is so insignificant that it basically guaranteed that Verizon has lost money by offering BlackBerry 10 devices in the first place.

I can't remember how many times I seen that Verizon Wireless commercial that showed off BBM video chat. I know I seen it a lot more than I ever seen any of BlackBerry's own commercials. So just think of how much money Verizon spent on making and airing that add then consider 0.1% of all devices sold by Verizon were BlackBerry.

Verizon has had to of lost money on the deal. Like I said, the "bais" carriers are helping BlackBerry out a lot more than BlackBerry is helping them out. Does anyone here really think Verizon would have missed that 0.1%?

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    While I agree with most of this post, I'd speculate that VZW probably hasn't lost much (if anything) in the deal, due to marketing BB. I don't really think the cost of marketing BB devices by VZW should factor towards a loss. When VZW produces those BB ads for television, they don't care much whether the viewing consumer buys a BB device specifically. All the ad really needs to do is get the viewer into one of their stores to justify the cost of the ad. From there, they don't care which device the consumer buys, just that they sign a contract and purchase any device.
    Saiga likes this.
    08-11-13 11:52 AM
    While I agree with most of this post, I'd speculate that VZW probably hasn't lost much (if anything) in the deal, due to marketing BB. I don't really think the cost of marketing BB devices by VZW should factor towards a loss. When VZW produces those BB ads for television, they don't care much whether the viewing consumer buys a BB device specifically. All the ad really needs to do is get the viewer into one of their stores to justify the cost of the ad. From there, they don't care which device the consumer buys, just that they sign a contract and purchase any device.
    Good point!
    08-11-13 12:08 PM
    never understand what people expect from a six month ecosystem build.... US is too important of a market to ignore.... although I think they are on the right track with the enterprise/comsumer targets.... consumers will take a long time to switch to anything but both Android and Apple need a major refresh ( maybe iOS 7 ) who knows though.... time will tell the tale....
    08-11-13 12:53 PM
    What people expect after 6 months or what they think they may have in another year or whatever time period doesn't matter in the vast majority of cases I suspect. They almost all will base their decision on what is available the day they buy. For most I doubt they think about anything else. And that is the problem

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 05:09 PM
    I live in Los Angeles , where it's infested with iPhones and Samsung devices, and I proudly own a Z10. One of the best purchases I've made to date.

Besides, my data is encrypted and secure which gives me peace of mind against hacks, malware and snoopers. And since BlackBerry has a more or less a1% market share here in the states, maybe the NSA isn't too interested with ease dropping in on our data. Don't you think?

Didn't Obama hold a secret meeting with Top Tech Execs this week? Didn't read that Thorston was invited; which I take as Obama not being too interested in us BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    Like the term "infested".

08-11-13 08:42 PM
    Like the term "infested".

So do Apple and Samsung.
    08-11-13 10:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Are you on BES?

I doubt the NSA bases their decision on whether or not they need to know your business on your smartphone choice.
    08-11-13 11:24 PM
    Are you on BES?

I doubt the NSA bases their decision on whether or not they need to know your business on your smartphone choice.
    More reason for NSA to check BB users, because questionable groups will likely use it
    08-11-13 11:47 PM
119 ... 345