If BlackBerry are getting out of the hardware game, should they sell or licence their PKB patents to allow other manufacturers to make phones with the unrivalled BlackBerry keyboards?

As a long time user I'm obviously gutted about the apparent decline of BB10. However, as a tech and phone enthusiast, I'm open to the many alternative benefits found elsewhere. One thing I will struggle to live without in the future is the beloved BlackBerry PKB. Obviously BlackBerry are a long way from deciding never to make phones any more - who knows how many more BBAndroid devices we'll get. But my fear is that they'll decide to wait and see, make a very limited number of devices, or none.

Instead of following this path they could sell - or licence - their hardware patents to other manufacturers (eg Samsung) who could make niche devices with best in class physical BlackBerry keyboards.

They probably wouldn't do this - it would further erode the unique appeal of 'by BlackBerry' phones. But if they're seriously considering exiting hardware...

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 02:47 PM
    I think right now, Chen would love to licenses anything he could.

But just how many OEM are wanting to build keyboards?
    JeepBB and bakron1 like this.
    03-17-16 02:55 PM
    Keyboard phones are useless except for that very very small user base which keeps getting smaller and smaller. BlackBerry keeps trying to sell keyboard phones like they re in demand or something. Look how many non keyboard phones Apple, Samsung and etc sell! In my opinion the Priv would sell more if it came as an all touch phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-16 08:39 PM
    If you don't make and sell hardware but collect royalties on hardware patents then aren't you a patent troll?
    03-19-16 08:47 PM
    A lot of companies license their hardware to other hardware manufacturers. If. You look at laptops as an example every company is putting another companies sound system in them.

Don't see why they can't do that with keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 11:01 AM
    A lot of companies license their hardware to other hardware manufacturers. If. You look at laptops as an example every company is putting another companies sound system in them.

Don't see why they can't do that with keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    If the market wanted keyboards, they could...
    03-20-16 11:39 AM
    Motorola has previously licensed keyboard patents from BB, so there is some precedent, but as pointed out, the question is: does anyone (or, rather, a profitable number) want PKBs anymore? It doesn't seem likely.
    jas1978 likes this.
    03-20-16 12:18 PM
    Only thing I'd disagree with you on OP is the "best in class physical keyboards." They would be the ONLY manufacturer that makes physical keyboards as no one is competing in that class.
    03-20-16 12:35 PM