As OS 10.3 looms around, what should BlackBerry be placing more emphasis on (a) addressing the functionalities of the OS i.e "contact addresses issues", "battery optimization issues", etc or (b) window dressing issues of the UI like "boxes/shadows around the icons" etc.

Disclaimer, I don't claim to know what will be in the upcoming OS 10.3 update, neither do I know what Michael Clewley has in store to show us in the coming days.

Personally, I would hope that Blackberry placed more emphasis on addressing "OS functionality issues".
    05-05-14 05:16 PM
    Please, Please, Please, BlackBerry....
    Fix the contacts application!
    05-05-14 05:24 PM
    I wouldn't mind some UI changes, such as possibly adding in widgets, if that's even possible on bb10

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    05-05-14 05:27 PM
    Obviously functionality, features, etc. are more important than focusing on appearance. Appearance is important but not priority.

Posted via CB10
    farmwersteve likes this.
    05-05-14 05:59 PM
    Very good point I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see fixes in the basic apps like contacts and added functionality in the maps application (adding some of the BBOS traffic features and multiple route choices).
    cbzeduser, xxslxx and Mack Gans like this.
    05-05-14 06:08 PM
    Both.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 06:10 PM
    It has been mentioned multiple times, but let me say it again.
    The UI team can make the UI, while the other teams address the so called "functionality issues."
    Both happen at the same time, it's not one or the other (and the people of CrackBerry need to remember this.) Improvements always come, in all ways.
    In fact, I can't remember a BlackBerry 10 update that didn't bring improvements...
    05-05-14 06:14 PM
    Oh. Sorry, I forgot about all the teams...
    Those last 3 guys left over in a Waterloo basement after all of the layoffs.

Yeah, I would like both, but for me, I can live with the current UI. It's awesome!
    It's the contacts apps that drives me Kwazie! LoL.
    YMMV.
    05-05-14 06:26 PM
    Don't underestimate UI... a refreshed UI keeps people from switching plateforms. a UI becomes dull after a while....

It's like changing underwears.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 06:29 PM
    Appearance is something they can show in a pic. We don't know all the changes that are coming. 1 pic was a change in ui the other one was a pic of new icons. This is going to be a big update and I assure you they aren't only working on the appearance.

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    05-05-14 06:43 PM
    Also they haven't changed the ui since launch, I think it's time for a new coat of paint.

web99, tufcustomer, MaxR_A and 2 others like this.
    05-05-14 06:46 PM
    Also they haven't changed the ui since launch, I think it's time for a new coat of paint.

How often does UI need "coat of paint"? How often and what intervals has Android and Apple changed their respective UI? Just curious.
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-05-14 07:02 PM
    1. I think its important to realize that both can be (are) developed simultaneously via multiple teams focused on different tasks.

2. As others have said, sometimes a new UI or even incremental UI changes help things feel new. So sometimes a new window dressing will help keep things fresh even if they are still working on new functionalities.

3. I think one really cool, and a big surprise update (would be cool if they keep this top secret, under wraps) would be to have "Actionable Frames" rather than "Active Frames". Basically widgets in the form of our current Active Frames with simple (not cluttered) functions would be an awesome update.
    web99 likes this.
    05-05-14 07:12 PM
    Don't underestimate UI... a refreshed UI keeps people from switching plateforms. a UI becomes dull after a while....

It's like changing underwears.

Posted via CB10
    "changing underwear"? The only reason people change underwear is only for hygienic reasons. Care to elaborate on what you mean exactly?
    But on a serious note, honestly do you think that "a refreshed UI keeps people from switching platforms" rather than how functional the consumers perceive the platforms to be?
    Last edited by wincyUt; 05-05-14 at 08:29 PM.
    MADBRADNYC and Biggfoot like this.
    05-05-14 07:15 PM
    Personally, I really don't care if the UI gets an 'upgrade'. Keep the box around the icons or not?.... really??!! Blue or red highlights?.... really?!?! The contacts app is an embarrassment!! This is suppose to be a tool not a toy! Repairing of the contacts app should have been dealt with a long time ago. They need to go above & beyond that. Again, my own opinion... I'm not looking for an app to add features because what I love about BlackBerry is everything I need is there out of the box. I don't feel comfortable relying on 'some guy' to develop an app I will NEED! What BlackBerry excels at is building everything I need into the phone. Just fix the d**n contacts app already! Sheeesh

Sry if I sound angry but it boggles the mind that this hasn't been dealt with.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 07:17 PM
    Function! Sick of window dressings. Look at Windows. The Ribbons are so big and cumbersome you have little area to work......wasted space.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 07:22 PM
    How often does UI need "coat of paint"? How often and what intervals has Android and Apple changed their respective UI? Just curious.
    Android changes every year. Ios moves a lot slower.

05-05-14 08:08 PM
    Function! Sick of window dressings. Look at Windows. The Ribbons are so big and cumbersome you have little area to work......wasted space.

Posted via CB10
    WE ARE GETTING BOTH

05-05-14 08:09 PM
    What you do if you getting bored or full after work?
    See your phone.... looking for the beauty of it.
    No more work no more game... but looking for beautiful widget if any weather
    Beautiful to do etc

We need widget animated .... again battery it is ok memory not ok ha ha ha (cut memory phone cost)

But that why Android success
    05-05-14 08:18 PM
    Official Google Play support. Won't go anywhere without apps and official support for them.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 08:27 PM
    As OS 10.3 looms around, what should BlackBerry be placing more emphasis on (a) addressing the functionalities of the OS i.e "contact addresses issues", "battery optimization issues", etc or (b) window dressing issues of the UI like "boxes/shadows around the icons" etc.

Disclaimer, I don't claim to know what will be in the upcoming OS 10.3 update, neither do I know what Michael Clewley has in store to show us in the coming days.

Personally, I would hope that Blackberry placed more emphasis on addressing "OS functionality issues".
    Is there any indication they aren't placing functionality ahead of the UI look? Let's not forget there's multiple departments working on different things. We can readily see from a quick screenshot what the design team is doing, but that doesn't work so well for functionality. They could but that might reveal more than JC wants people to see, and I have trouble believing Michael Clewley would go the boss's head to expose every aspect of 10.3 builds past what we already know.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-05-14 08:45 PM

To me it seems like they are emphasizing both and doing a great job of it. I haven't been this happy with BlackBerry in a long time. My Z10 feels new every time I get an OS update.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 08:49 PM
    Official Google Play support. Won't go anywhere without apps and official support for them.
    BB has already stated that they don't intend to seek Google Certification (necessary for official Play Store access, among other things), because they 1) don't want to abandon BB World and 2) would never pass the requirements, the most basic of which is that they are running a full version of Android as the exclusive OS. All newer phones must now even have a start-up screen that says "Powered by Android."

Should BlackBerry place more priority in addressing OS functionalities or "window dressing" the UI?-s5_htc_one_powered_by_android-640x563.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One (M8) with "Powered by Android" start-up screens, now required for Google Certification.
    rthonpm and Pete The Penguin like this.
    05-05-14 09:07 PM
    BB has already stated that they don't intend to seek Google Certification (necessary for official Play Store access, among other things), because they 1) don't want to abandon BB World and 2) would never pass the requirements, the most basic of which is that they are running a full version of Android as the exclusive OS. All newer phones must now even have a start-up screen that says "Powered by Android."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5_HTC_One_Powered_By_Android-640x563.jpg 
Views:	1692 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	268031

Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One (M8) with "Powered by Android" start-up screens, now required for Google Certification.
    More like "Battery drained by Android"

05-05-14 09:09 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5_HTC_One_Powered_By_Android-640x563.jpg 
Views:	1692 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	268031

Good. I'm a fan of BlackBerry world and want more coming from that direction.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 09:14 PM
158 123 ...