I have to admit that I always have my BB at my side during the day; when I'm at a meeting or appointment, I simply turn all alerts to "Silent." I'm a freelance medical editor so I have to be reachable by my clients at all times, even if I'm out with friends, or the work may go to the next person on the list.

I love being able to read my e-mails on the go and respond to them, just as texting with my nephews is our primary means of communication. If I'm waiting on line somewhere, the BB is in my hands checking for messages or sending messages. I don't use any "social networking" sites either on my BB or on my computer, I'm just too uncomfortable with privacy concerns, I have no interest in reading what friends are doing every minute of their day, I don't want to see what my younger relatives are doing, and I can connect with my friends and family via e-mail or text---I don't need or want an intermediary. Maybe my age is showing.

I do turn the BB off at night (unless I'm expecting an important e-mail or text). If there's an emergency or someone just wants to reach me, they call on my land-line phone. I'm not going to respond to an e-mail or a text overnight, so off goes my BB.

I think "obsession" is in the eyes of the beholder. What is an obsession to someone is a necessity to someone else.
    01-24-10 05:07 PM
    I'm in a profession where I'm expected to be checking my bb at least once an hour while not at work (unless I'm sleeping at normal hours). Definitely sucks but not an option for me at the moment to turn it off.
    01-24-10 08:17 PM
    At least you still have your stellar sense of humor
    Yep! I always wear my 3M Mylar Butthurt Prevention Suit when I hop online.
    01-25-10 03:34 AM
    Mine is always on. In fact, when I sleep alone it's often on the other side of the bed. When I don't sleep alone it's on the nightstand of wherever I am sleeping.

Although at night I do turn the ringer off. Usually

Of course I use it both for work (self-employed) and for personal stuff. About 10% work, 15% personal, and 75% noodling around on. Most of my real work gets done on my laptop, but occasionally when I'm in court, in a meeting, or at a friend/family's house I'll need to use it to shoot off email to clients, etc.

So I'm "always on, always connected." Hey, it's 2010, why I would be anything else?
    01-25-10 03:43 AM
    I don't use my BlackBerry for work; it is strictly my personal phone. I do take it with me everywhere since it is my only phone line though, but 99% of the time - except for when at work, which then it is to "All Alerts Off" - it is set to "Phone Calls Only." When I am out with friends, family, etc text messages, emails, BBMs, PIN messages, app alerts, and anything else that may come through can wait. If someone truly needs to get in touch me and it is that important they can pick up the phone to call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 12:17 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD