Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too. Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too

At the Intel developer forum it was revealed that the soon to be released KitKat would have 64-bit support as well. https://plus.google.com/u/0/10263850...ts/Q7iMLvddj66

I don't personally see the need for 64-bit right now. However in the future when your phone becomes take on the role of a PC, the need for 64-bit will become more apparent.

Will BlackBerry follow the old pattern of dismissing the competition like it did in the past and get left behind? My answer: I don't think they should right now, they have bigger problems to solve at the moment.
    Bobert_123 and anon5288998 like this.
    09-15-13 07:29 PM
    Blackberry has decided not to compete in the tablet market anymore. Therefore an argument could be made that they don't need 64bit. OTOH if the wish to continue their practice of emulating Android, maybe 64bit wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Windows 8 is already 64bit so making a 64bit windows phone when a suitable chip is available wouldn't be too hard. Therefore is almost certain to happen, Microsoft cannot afford to be left behind.
    rthonpm likes this.
    09-15-13 07:43 PM
    I just remembered that the Note 3 has 3GB of memory. Soon there will be phones with 4GB and larger. The need for 64-bit OS to address that memory is imminent.
    09-15-13 07:47 PM
    All smartphones will eventually be 64bit because of addressing requirements.

Right now, not one smartphone can benefit from 64bit architecture. Samsung will likely be the first to require it i'd say in 2 years time.

64 bit architecture is nothing new and does absolutely nothing for performance.

Apple saying they went 64 bit for Enterprise is the biggest load of horse crap in the world.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:58 PM
    I want to see that person who can fill 3GB RAM of his phone, reasonable usage of course.
    09-15-13 08:04 PM
    I want to see that person who can fill 3GB RAM of his phone, reasonable usage of course.
    There used to be computers with 256 kilobytes of ram. Things change.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 08:10 PM
    Who knows maybe blackberry will create a third perimeter!

Work perimeter
    Personal perimiter
    Full Android perimeter

4gb needed yeah!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 08:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    We can always use that famous bill Gates quote.

But at this point 64 isn't required and probably detrimental to the phone.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/16...ve-performance

At some point it will make sense to go 64bit and I will then welcome it.

Posted via CB10
    VR6 likes this.
    09-15-13 08:18 PM
    I would love for BlackBerry to go 64 bit, as well as better cameras (10+ megapixels), quad core processors, 1080p screens, etc, but seeing as we're talking about BlackBerry, were not going to get it until the competition is leaps ahead.
    Mel25 and devin266 like this.
    09-15-13 08:22 PM

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/16...ve-performance

Posted via CB10
    It's definitely not needed now. But definitely in the coming years it will be. Apple is on the right track. By releasing it now they can say they were the "first."

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 08:22 PM
    Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too. Samsung says its next-gen smartphones will have 64-bit processors too

At the Intel developer forum it was revealed that the soon to be released KitKat would have 64-bit support as well. https://plus.google.com/u/0/10263850...ts/Q7iMLvddj66

http://i.imgur.com/Qa8zIlt.png

I don't personally see the need for 64-bit right now. However in the future when your phone becomes take on the role of a PC, the need for 64-bit will become more apparent.

Will BlackBerry follow the old pattern of dismissing the competition like it did in the past and get left behind? My answer: I don't think they should right now, they have bigger problems to solve at the moment.
    Until they get their name back and people stop looking at BlackBerry like a joke and more and more people buy it and more better apps come out that can take advantage of the 64 bit processor, there's no reason to go 64 bit for their phones, just an added price on the phones that's not necessary

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-15-13 08:29 PM
    You're looking at that person. You may not see the need because your phone doesn't do much yet. No headless apps, and few apps which test the envelope.

I have a dozen "headless apps" running all the time because I rely on the phone to do stuff for me, multitasking in the background. I'm always in the middle of an eBook and an audiobook. I have a number of gadgets connected including a smartwatch. I have Tapatalk, Flipboard, reddit, Feedly, and several websites that I always want to be open in the same place that I left. I edit Office documents. I sign on remotely using GotomyPC and Splashtop. I participate in video Hangouts and Webex meetings on a minutes notice. I play some games. I also run things like this:

A flyby of 3D photographic rendering of Manhattan. Notice there are thousands of building being rendered here, including the ones you can see in the background near Central Park.

09-15-13 08:46 PM
    I distinctly remember when I got my first computer (8088 with 2 5.25" drives) people said I'd like to see the person who fills a 20 MB hard drive, reasonable usage of course. Just imagine where we'd be today if anyone listened to THEM.
    09-15-13 08:53 PM
    Dude doing all that and leaving all them open all the time, your battery would last 2 hours.

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    kbz1960, VR6, John Pawling and 2 others like this.
    09-15-13 08:53 PM
    It's definitely not needed now. But definitely in the coming years it will be. Apple is on the right track. By releasing it now they can say they were the "first."

Posted via CB10
    While also being the first to have apps that take advantage of those bits
    09-15-13 08:57 PM
    Multitasking is the main reason I need lots of memory on my PC, and the same reasoning holds for my phone. Multitasking is not just about the user juggling activities, it is also about the computer doing activities on behalf of the user at the same time. And the latter is where we start to see big differences.

I have an Galaxy S3 and I have a Z10. It is when I tried to use the Z10 as my daily driver that I missed all the little things that the GS3 did. These are things that the phone does for me in the background without my intervention, things that saved me time and effort. Here are just a few examples:

• In the morning I have a card showing the time to get to work factoring in the traffic. At quitting time, I have another card for the trip home. It lets me know if I should leave earlier or try to find another route.
    • When my plane lands, I am greeted with the currency exchange rate, nearby photo spots, places of interest, helpful phrases.
    • If I search for a restaurant on the browser on my laptop or desktop, a card will show up on the phone to let me navigate there with one tap. No need to search for it again.
    • It would send a text to the wife that I was on my way home when I left the geofenced area I set around the office.
    • When connected to the home network, it would disable the device lock. This was before I got the Pebble.
    • When connected to the Pebble watch, I never have to unlock my phone. If I get separated from my phone, it will lock itself.
    • If the phone gets lost or stolen, I can control my phone from any browser and do things like take pictures of the thief. It will also take pictures when someone tries to unlock the phone and quietly send them to my email account.
    • From the calendar it knows when I'm in a meeting and automatically mutes the phone for me.
    • It knows when I'm at home, and if I plug it in the charger past a certain time, it will mute all notification sounds because I'm going to sleep.
    • It watches for swipe gestures so I can launch any app (or perform phone functions) while I'm in any other app.
    • When I plug in a headset, it gives me a selection of my favorite media apps. If I'm using my bluetooth headset, then it launches my preferred listening app when I hit the play button on the headset.
    • When I arrive at a location, the phone will remind me if I had previously asked for it. For example I would say "remind me to take out the trash when I get home."
    • Ever run into a video saying that it is not available in your country? I can fire up a VPN proxy on the phone and bypass that restriction.
    • The GS3 is also running an ad blocker while I'm browsing the web.
    • The phone can also listen for your voice and it can launch other apps.

After a while I just took these things that the phone did for me for granted. They just happened. That's why when I did a trial of the Z10 as a daily driver, I recognized that I had to do all these things myself, interrupting my daily flow. Throughout the day the Z10 felt inert, unlike the GS3 where it was always doing stuff in the background. All of the above works on 2GB right now, but I imagine I could do even more with 4GB.
    09-15-13 08:59 PM

iPhone 5S: The 64-bit A7 chip is marketing fluff and won’t improve performance | ExtremeTech

Posted via CB10
    Presumably you will welcome it if and when BB 10 is 64bit.
    09-15-13 09:07 PM
    Multitasking is the main reason I need lots of memory on my PC, and the same reasoning holds for my phone. Multitasking is not just about the user juggling activities, it is also about the computer doing activities on behalf of the user at the same time. And the latter is where we start to see big differences.

I have an Galaxy S3 and I have a Z10. It is when I tried to use the Z10 as my daily driver that I missed all the little things that the GS3 did. These are things that the phone does for me in the background without my intervention, things that saved me time and effort. Here are just a few examples:

• In the morning I have a card showing the time to get to work factoring in the traffic. At quitting time, I have another card for the trip home. It lets me know if I should leave earlier or try to find another route.
    • When my plane lands, I am greeted with the currency exchange rate, nearby photo spots, places of interest, helpful phrases.
    • If I search for a restaurant on the browser on my laptop or desktop, a card will show up on the phone to let me navigate there with one tap. No need to search for it again.
    • It would send a text to the wife that I was on my way home when I left the geofenced area I set around the office.
    • When connected to the home network, it would disable the device lock. This was before I got the Pebble.
    • When connected to the Pebble watch, I never have to unlock my phone. If I get separated from my phone, it will lock itself.
    • If the phone gets lost or stolen, I can control my phone from any browser and do things like take pictures of the thief. It will also take pictures when someone tries to unlock the phone and quietly send them to my email account.
    • From the calendar it knows when I'm in a meeting and automatically mutes the phone for me.
    • It knows when I'm at home, and if I plug it in the charger past a certain time, it will mute all notification sounds because I'm going to sleep.
    • It watches for swipe gestures so I can launch any app (or perform phone functions) while I'm in any other app.
    • When I plug in a headset, it gives me a selection of my favorite media apps. If I'm using my bluetooth headset, then it launches my preferred listening app when I hit the play button on the headset.
    • When I arrive at a location, the phone will remind me if I had previously asked for it. For example I would say "remind me to take out the trash when I get home."
    • Ever run into a video saying that it is not available in your country? I can fire up a VPN proxy on the phone and bypass that restriction.

After a while I just took these things that the phone did for me for granted. They just happened. That's why when I did a trial of the Z10 as a daily driver, I recognized that I had to do all these things myself, interrupting my daily flow. Throughout the day the Z10 felt inert, unlike the GS3 where it was always doing stuff in the background. All of the above works on 2GB right now, but I imagine I could do even more with 4GB.
    Dude this is all great and makes life easy, but the human race is going to go down the toilet fast. Were gonna have robots that wipe our *** for us soon. Nobody wants to do anything anymore themselves.

I'm 24 and I would love to have lived in the 50's or 60's times seemed so much simpler then. Technology is great but it's scary at the same time. When you have things that are smarter then humans thenselves

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    Carl Estes and Dunmanway Emar like this.
    09-15-13 09:14 PM
    Dude this is all great and makes life easy, but the human race is going to go down the toilet fast. Were gonna have robots that wipe our *** for us soon. Nobody wants to do anything anymore themselves.

I'm 24 and I would love to have lived in the 50's or 60's times seemed so much simpler then. Technology is great but it's scary at the same time. When you have things that are smarter then humans thenselves

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    They had the same fears then that we do now. Everything looks better when looking back.

Posted via CB10
    H_O_Boomaye and Fidel Mercado like this.
    09-15-13 09:20 PM
    Why? How much you are willing to pay?
    09-15-13 09:28 PM
    It depends on apps. Just because 64bit is out doesn't mean everyone needs it or will use the full potential of it. It's like someone wants a quad core pc and 8 gig of ram to run just a ms word and web browsing. it's overkill!
    09-15-13 09:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    But computer with 2GB RAM suits needs of many people for 10 years now. There universal amounts of storage needed, you can use 16 GB RAM on PC and even more but for average user is overkill. The same can be said for smartphone.
    I can bet anything you will not see the need for 3GB RAM on a phone at least for next 5 years.
    Excluding may be games which are not playable on mobile device anyway.

PS: PC from 2005 with dual core Athlon and 2GB RAM still in use and fits most needs for average user.
    Of course there will be enthusiasts, but most users will not pay more money for things they don't need.
    undone likes this.
    09-15-13 10:10 PM
    But computer with 2GB RAM suits needs of many people for 10 years now. There universal amounts of storage needed, you can use 16 GB RAM on PC and even more but for average user is overkill. The same can be said for smartphone.
    I can bet anything you will not see the need for 3GB RAM on a phone at least for next 5 years.
    Excluding may be games which are not playable on mobile device anyway.

PS: PC from 2005 with dual core Athlon and 2GB RAM still in use and fits most needs for average user.
    Of course there will be enthusiasts, but most users will not pay more money for things they don't need.
    I don't think 2GB is enough for any desktop PC. My iMac has 12GB of RAM and my work Machine 16GB. Even my Surface Pro has 4GB. 2GB is ample for phones right now but that is changing, particularly with the high DPI screens that are so common now in mobile devices.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    09-15-13 10:14 PM
    Yes in my opinion I think they should why??? Because they need people attracted to their platform and going 64 bit should attract game developers and other developers as well. would love BB to keep up :-)

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 10:15 PM

May I just point out that neither phone is 64 bit. Not to mention all that probably never exceeds 100mb of background memory. Just saying. Seems a little more like you wanted to compare your GS3 to the Z10 than talk about the merits of 64bit.

EDIT: The 100mb only applies to background. Of course the foreground tasks you listed can easily tear through that.

EDIT2: As for ram in desktops. We went 64bit because there are TONS of applications that easily tear through 4gb BY THEMSELVES. Not for the average user most of the time but try running sony vegas pro on 2gb. Not gonna happen. I don't see the need for 64bit on phones right now because mobile devices won't be doing that sort of professional work anytime soon if ever. Its just not the most efficient means of getting stuff done.
    grover5 likes this.
    09-15-13 10:19 PM
122 123 ...