So with carriers not showing Blackberry the love we all know it deserves from not releasing OS updates in a timely manner to carrier employees not being informed on the solution does it make sense for BlackBerry to become a carrier?

I am not talking about building the infrastructure themselves but rather buy bandwidth/roaming agreements with all or many carriers in bulk and then resell under their own brand.

This would allow several Blackberry to do several things better:

1. Release devices and OS updates on their schedule rather than the carriers.

2. Improve in areas carriers lack such as technical support and customer service.

Any one who has had to call their carrier for support or customer service knowa how frustrating this can be.

If Blackberry could offer a better experience in these areas at a competitive price I think this would go a long way to solving some of the problems they face.

Sure this would increase costs in some areas but overall I think would be a good move for them overall.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 06:59 PM
    I just honestly, truly cannot see this happening. It just wouldn't work.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-14-13 07:01 PM
    So with carriers not showing Blackberry the love we all know it deserves from not releasing OS updates in a timely manner to carrier employees not being informed on the solution does it make sense for BlackBerry to become a carrier?

I am not talking about building the infrastructure themselves but rather buy bandwidth/roaming agreements with all or many carriers in bulk and then resell under their own brand.

This would allow several Blackberry to do several things better:

1. Release devices and OS updates on their schedule rather than the carriers.

2. Improve in areas carriers lack such as technical support and customer service.

Any one who has had to call their carrier for support or customer service knowa how frustrating this can be.

If Blackberry could offer a better experience in these areas at a competitive price I think this would go a long way to solving some of the problems they face.

Sure this would increase costs in some areas but overall I think would be a good move for them overall.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds good... but Where is the money?
    No.

Space filler to post.
    bdguru likes this.
    08-14-13 07:02 PM
    It's a little over the top to become a carrier just to release updates on their own schedule... plus, it would take a lot of cash which they need to use other ways right now. I'm sure even Apple or Google thought about becoming carriers but not on a realistic level. They all must hate playing the "games" that the carriers play but, it's their game.
    08-14-13 07:04 PM
    BBN: BlackBerry Networks.

(I hope BlackBerry does not need to go that far to have good carrier support. :- )

Anyways, doubt it, even if Truphone business model is used.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:06 PM
    No. Just no. That doesn't seem at all plausible and it isn't the problem.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:10 PM
    No. But your point about Point of Sale can be remedied by BlackBerry pushing into retail whether its an online only, or partnering with major stores to get space in their showrooms. Taking care of issues and being the customers first point of contact with phone issues as opposed to being behind the carrier. They can do this without becoming a carrier and spending billions.
    08-14-13 07:16 PM
    Difference in should and could. If Apple and Google aren't doing it, BlackBerry sure isn't in a position to do it.

As for Carriers showing support. If you think the launch of the Z10 and Q10 were bad... Bet they don't give the Z30 shelf space.

Not carriers fault, they sell what people want.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:16 PM