When you are officially silent, how are we as business owners supposed to make decisions. All we get are rumors. You have a bad history of being late with what you promise. I need the latest technology. While the Playbook has potential, other tablets are already delivering with apps that will do what I want. (ie, being able to annotate a pdf and save the image) I do believe that BBX has great potential, but RIM needs to identify major needs and create native apps (look at what the Galaxy Note).

I need to update my Storm2. It has gotten woefully outdated. Its speaker is going bad. If I move to OS7, I am buying a phone that will be outdated either next spring or fall depending on whose rumor you believe. Will you give me a new phone for free? I will be stuck running an under-powered phone for two years while waiting for my next upgrade.

Two reasons keep me here. I like the 'bridge' feature of the Playbook. Also, I like the efficient data transfer. I think this will become more important with time.

RIM - Talk to us.
    11-29-11 06:06 PM
    I have never seen a company react so slowly to market trends.
    11-29-11 06:37 PM
    What are they being quiet about? BBX Q1, PB 2.0 Feb. Bold 9900 selling well. Testing nfc with Telefonica.... Will Java based bb7 phones be outdated when bbx is launched...**** yeah. If the release date of bbx was announced soon, would you bother buying the bold9900?

Considering they released 30 different phonemodels in the same time Apple released 4, I think they will have the bbx ready soon. They're working on rewriting the smartphone from the ground up and they're taking the time to do it right.

If you can't hold out any longer, just switch to the one thebest suits your needs. Perhaps, you,ll switch to bbx 2 phones from now.
    11-29-11 06:40 PM
    Everything in tech gets outdated in a year... So what's your point? By OP's logic, he should never buy a phone because there will always be something better coming in the future.

Just get the BB7 now. Let the early adoptors tinker with the first BBX phone, and then get the generation after.
    JR A likes this.
    11-29-11 06:45 PM
    to personify things a little, RIM is like the kid in school who brags and boasts about everything but has nothing to show for and lies a little to keep his friends. but such a kid loses all his friends eventually and gets beaten up once in awhile.

apple is the guy who tells everyone "check out my new car" and then brings his friends to the carpark to check out the car and wows them.

android is the guy who is easy to get along with and who knows everyone. he doesn't have many close friends, but he has A LOT of friends.
    11-29-11 06:53 PM
    When I spend my hard earned cash in this tight economy (read -there is no spare cash, maybe I might pay myself tomorrow, but probably not) I need to buy long term value. I cannot afford to buy yesterdays specs today. If I ran my business the way RIM does in the US market, I would be out of business. Being on the cutting edge allows me to survive. As for putting out 30 models in the time Android does 4, perhaps if they only put out 10 models, their technology and hardware might match where everyone else is today.
    11-29-11 06:55 PM
    You guys are kidding right?

OP just said RIM is notorious for delays and yet he still wonders if it's Spring or Fall release!
    ..Of course it's a Spring release,...Spring 2013.
    11-29-11 07:06 PM
    When I spend my hard earned cash in this tight economy (read -there is no spare cash, maybe I might pay myself tomorrow, but probably not) I need to buy long term value. I cannot afford to buy yesterdays specs today. If I ran my business the way RIM does in the US market, I would be out of business. Being on the cutting edge allows me to survive. As for putting out 30 models in the time Android does 4, perhaps if they only put out 10 models, their technology and hardware might match where everyone else is today.
    only reason why they are still in business is because they did some things right in the past and the blackberry brand still holds some value.

in the tablet world, the bb brand however, has been crushed. furthermore, people are going to start associating playbooks with cheap tablets after this sale and this will definitely have some sort of spillover effect on their phones to some extent. imagine if apple downed the price of their ipads to 199. i doubt many would be willing to pay full price for it for at least a few months after the sale is over. extremely bad move imo. the publicity and increased userbase cannot cover the destruction of the blackberry brand.
    11-29-11 07:08 PM
    I realize most technology and phones even more so become outdated in a 6 months to a year that's the way it is. At least this time RIM was up front that new phones won't support BBX so you're not stuck if you don't want to be and like how you and others didn't get many updates for the S2.

I'm buying an OS7 phone. It'll last me 2 yrs. I'll be happy with it.
    But if you're unhappy with the way RIM does things I'd suggest you switch to another platform. I'm not saying that to be a **** I just mean if they're not meeting your needs and keeping up how you want in mobile technology maybe you should look elsewhere.
    11-29-11 07:19 PM
    EVERY manufacturer releases new tech shortly after the first.... just look at what samsung did to the mighty android galaxy s2. a month later they released the skyrocket... and thats just one example.

get a bb7 device now. you will be pleased. if you held onto your storm that long then a 9900/9930 will satisfy you for just as long if not longer.
    11-29-11 07:21 PM
    i get your point, but think back to when the PB was announced. `it`ll be out in six months` wasnt exactly a warmly recieved note, with `vapourware` and other comments being thrown around.

i expect we`ll see BBX devices come out around the CES kinda time, which is i believe in january, but no company is going to announce a new product now that wont be out for a while, all that will do is kill sales of exisiting devices, another thing theyd get hate for doing from the business world.
    11-29-11 07:27 PM
    only reason why they are still in business is because they did some things right in the past and the blackberry brand still holds some value.

in the tablet world, the bb brand however, has been crushed. furthermore, people are going to start associating playbooks with cheap tablets after this sale and this will definitely have some sort of spillover effect on their phones to some extent. imagine if apple downed the price of their ipads to 199. i doubt many would be willing to pay full price for it for at least a few months after the sale is over. extremely bad move imo. the publicity and increased userbase cannot cover the destruction of the blackberry brand.

In the tablet world RIM is setting-up-shop.

Everyone that bought a tablet during this sale is happy they bought a classy piece of engineering for a good price.

People will pay full-price for the unit when OS2 is out and app world has the 'right' apps
    11-29-11 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD