Alright my first and only BB was the 8530 and after only 7 months I switch to an android device...which I still have and I am happy with. So I am now due for an upgrade and part of me wants to come back to BB. Mostly, because of the whole "underdog" thing at this point and also because I don't want to become another iphone user. Anyway, with BB 10 coming i want some opinions on whether or not returning to BB is right for me. Basically, I am a moderate user and the main thing I do on my phone is simply surf the web at work! I text of course and I am a forum (always loved the BB keyboard). My wife has told me she will NEVER use a BB again and all my friends are on android and iphones, so as much as I love BBM I don't think Ill get much use out of it.

So my questions to you.

Since I am a heavy internet user will the future BB devices be 4G LTE?
    How likely if I pull the trigger on a BB in the next 6 months will I be stuck with a phone from a company that is now out of business?
    Do BB still have the best battery life of "smartphones"?
    05-11-12 07:33 AM
    Internet is fine but I still don't like surfing much on even a 5" screen others love it on smaller screens. They are said to 4G LTE and HSPA+.

Your guess is as good as anyone's but I say no.

Battery life not so much but again who knows what bb10 will bring.
    05-11-12 08:11 AM
    Yes, you'll love BB10. It will have a larger outstanding brilliant screen and it will be LTE

BlackBerry is almost at the end of their transition-to-new-OS phase (i.e over when BB10 starts selling). They're not going out of business

You might also find the playbook is excellent for web browsing at work. You can pair it with a BB phone (one plan) or a new 4G LTE playbook is coming-out soon
    05-11-12 08:13 AM
    funny how people are convinced RIM are going out of buisness and discuss it a lot, even though they probably wont.

Sony on the other hand have a good chance of going out of buisness but no one ever mentions it.
    05-11-12 08:20 AM
    funny how people are convinced RIM are going out of buisness and discuss it a lot, even though they probably wont.
    I'm not convinced, hence why i asked the question.
    05-11-12 08:29 AM
    Yes, you'll love BB10. It will have a larger outstanding brilliant screen and it will be LTE

BlackBerry is almost at the end of their transition-to-new-OS phase (i.e over when BB10 starts selling). They're not going out of business

You might also find the playbook is excellent for web browsing at work. You can pair it with a BB phone (one plan) or a new 4G LTE playbook is coming-out soon
    So at this point should I just wait it out? I'm hearing that BB10 devices won't be out until Q3 and BB's with a physical keyboard won't be out until 2013. Not sure I can wait that long! And I don't want to pay $199 for 9930 Which at this point is an OLD device.
    05-11-12 08:30 AM
    If you surf the web a lot, then you probably need to wait.... Or get a iPhone or Android.
    05-11-12 08:35 AM
    If you surf the web a lot, then you probably need to wait.... Or get a iPhone or Android.
    I'm getting that feeling based on my research. My phone is definitely a toy not a tool for me.
    05-11-12 08:36 AM
    Nobody knows. Anyone that tells you definitively that the first BB10 devices will be LTE is just guessing.

If you want something now and mobile browsing is the main thing you want, I'd go pick up a Galaxy Nexus or the RAZR. If you don't need to upgrade now, I'd wait. Gonna be a LOT of new phones on the market by the time September/October rolls around. Galaxy SIII will be out by then. BB10, next gen iPhone and Nexus should be hitting around then as well. If you can wait I'd hold out til then so you can make an informed decision rather than jumping at something based off an anonymous forum member's guess.
    05-11-12 08:39 AM
    Nobody knows. Anyone that tells you definitively that the first BB10 devices will be LTE is just guessing.

If you want something now and mobile browsing is the main thing you want, I'd go pick up a Galaxy Nexus or the RAZR. If you don't need to upgrade now, I'd wait. Gonna be a LOT of new phones on the market by the time September/October rolls around. Galaxy SIII will be out by then. BB10, next gen iPhone and Nexus should be hitting around then as well. If you can wait I'd hold out til then so you can make an informed decision rather than jumping at something based off an anonymous forum member's guess.
    Fair point and exactly what I'm doing actually. Wanted to come back to make sure I at least considered BB again. I really like the RAZR MAXX but I know some new phones are looming. Just so hard to wait!
    05-11-12 08:43 AM
    As long as its a 3G device the battery life is ok its when you go 4G the battery will drain faster. As far as a smart phone goes I find the bold to be a more productive device without all the bells and whistles. I have owned most others but came back for the simplicity.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-11-12 08:55 AM
    So at this point should I just wait it out? I'm hearing that BB10 devices won't be out until Q3 and BB's with a physical keyboard won't be out until 2013. Not sure I can wait that long! And I don't want to pay $199 for 9930 Which at this point is an OLD device.

Other threads are reporting the 9930 can be found for $99. But, you should get a carrier that has the 9900 running on a 4G network (as H+).

The playbook will be getting the 'BB10' OS upgrade. You could get a 9930 and bridge it with the playbook. A 16GB pb is selling for $199

The best mobile device web browser right now is on the playbook. Check it out at a local store. Great updates are coming for the playbook in the near future

You're thinking about coming back to BB...you should wait for BB10. You might really like their on-screen keyboard when you try it in October (or September)
    Last edited by anthogag; 05-11-12 at 09:06 AM.
    05-11-12 09:03 AM
    Other threads are reporting the 9930 can be found for $99. But, you should get a carrier that has the 9900 running on a 4G network (as H+).

The playbook will be getting the 'BB10' OS upgrade. You could get a 9930 and bridge it with the playbook. A 16GB pb is selling for $199

The best mobile device web browser right now is on the playbook. Check it out at a local store. Great updates are coming for the playbook in the near future

You're thinking about coming back to BB...you should wait for BB10. You might really like their on-screen keyboard when you try it in October (or September)
    Thanks for the post definitely going to keep my eye on BB 10.
    05-13-12 08:42 AM
    There's no harm your new waiting for the new BB10 phone to see if you like it.
    05-13-12 09:01 AM
    There's no harm your new waiting for the new BB10 phone to see if you like it.
    Your right just don't know if I can wait that long!!! I'm really wanting a new device!!
    05-13-12 09:37 AM
    Basically, I am a moderate user and the main thing I do on my phone is simply surf the web at work!
    I hope your supervisors at work don't see this
    05-13-12 03:04 PM
    And as a Torch user, I'd recommend avoiding a BB 10 touch-only device like the plague. The sooner I can obtain a physical keyboard BB, the better!
    05-13-12 04:46 PM
    And as a Torch user, I'd recommend avoiding a BB 10 touch-only device like the plague. The sooner I can obtain a physical keyboard BB, the better!
    Because you don't like your OS7 torch should have no indication of how BB10 Touch is,
    The Cascades built apps that run on my devAlpha are a JOY to use on a touchscreen, and the Previewed Touchscreen keyboard shown at the BBWC keynote will help make RIM a much better touchscreen keyboard provider.

I actually have a fear that RIM will miss a lot of the key keyboard advantages when they make the first keyboard device in BB10 as with a touhscreen menu's never needed coding to allow for selection using key's
    05-13-12 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD