Sorry about the title..I may have watched Monsters Inc. Just a few too many times! Has anyone else noticed the surprising change though in the tech world towards RIM? Don't get me wrong I think there are still huge supporters of apple and android but many seem to be warming up to RIM and "the ten"! LOL. The last few weeks especially I have noticed a little shift with the view towards apple, since they are making a few mistakes, and starting to feel a little stale! The articles are also sounding better, not so much Too little too late?, but rather, yes RIM has hurdles to overcome but maybe they can do it!

This week alone saw people annoyed with apples maps, and more people complaining about the scratches and poor quality of the iphone, the amazing crackberry Kevin interview, people actually glad to see what money RIM has, and excitement all around for BB10.

iPhone 5 honeymoon over already? | Business Tech - CNET News

BlackBerry 10: How RIM might reel you in. Really | Mobile - CNET News

I think by the time BB10 is released people might be starting to like the idea of a fresh new operating system!
    Last edited by shn; 09-28-12 at 11:07 PM.
    antiRIM and kemj like this.
    09-28-12 10:54 PM
    While you have many valid points, don't expect people to flee from Apple over slightly negative tech articles and a bad maps app. As for the iphone, its not made of many cheap materials like some Androids. I give credit where credit is due, Apple is sneeky about somethings, but the actual quality is pretty far up there.

As for RIM, there does seem to be a positive outburst from the media. Possibly because people are getting bored of Android and Apple and just want to see something new. Either way things are starting to look up.
    Last edited by antiRIM; 09-28-12 at 11:12 PM.
    09-28-12 11:09 PM
    Nope, actually thats all in your mind. BUT! Since you clearly looking for something, anything really, to base your irrational love of one brand over another brand, here are a few more straws you can grab at to your hearts content!

A man in Kuala Lumpur recently became very agitated when he visited his local carrier store. Apparently this is the second time in as many months that the screen has died on his Samsung Galaxy S2 "When my contract is up, I'm SOOOOOO switching phones! This is my last Samsung at least for a while!" The man could be heard muttering.

Local hipster Chad Krogermann is increasingly getting fed up with the long lines in his local Apple store in Minneapolis. "When I came here to get my girlfriend an ipad last week, I had to wait like, ten minutes, just to go pay! Sometimes there are even little queues of people waiting to try one of the gadgets they have laying out. I dont know if its the stores staffing levels or what, but Apple is REALLY taxing my patience here!"

In Berlin, Germany eager geek and Android aficionado Otto Hentemeyer got REALLY worried that he might have accidentally fried his Android phone when loading a new, and unauthorized ROM onto it. "I know HTC phones in and out, but this time the Hboot animation didn't come on when I turned it on while pressing volume down! I thought I might have killed it somehow, but when I tried again, there it was! Phew!"
    Otto's associates report that the 26 year old has been notably less enthusiastic about burning new ROMs in recent weeks, and even talked about getting an iPhone, when the new iphone5 came out.
    09-28-12 11:12 PM
    Nope, actually thats all in your mind. BUT! Since you clearly looking for something, anything really, to base your irrational love of one brand over another brand, here are a few more straws you can grab at to your hearts content!

A man in Kuala Lumpur recently became very agitated when he visited his local carrier store. Apparently this is the second time in as many months that the screen has died on his Samsung Galaxy S2 "When my contract is up, I'm SOOOOOO switching phones! This is my last Samsung at least for a while!" The man could be heard muttering.

Local hipster Chad Krogermann is increasingly getting fed up with the long lines in his local Apple store in Minneapolis. "When I came here to get my girlfriend an ipad last week, I had to wait like, ten minutes, just to go pay! Sometimes there are even little queues of people waiting to try one of the gadgets they have laying out. I dont know if its the stores staffing levels or what, but Apple is REALLY taxing my patience here!"

In Berlin, Germany eager geek and Android aficionado Otto Hentemeyer got REALLY worried that he might have accidentally fried his Android phone when loading a new, and unauthorized ROM onto it. "I know HTC phones in and out, but this time the Hboot animation didn't come on when I turned it on while pressing volume down! I thought I might have killed it somehow, but when I tried again, there it was! Phew!"
    Otto's associates report that the 26 year old has been notably less enthusiastic about burning new ROMs in recent weeks, and even talked about getting an iPhone, when the new iphone5 came out.
    I agree with the OP. The recent articles do seem quite a bit more positive. Especially on engadget.
    09-28-12 11:21 PM
    agreed. RIMs press has undoubtedly been better this week with the impressive bb10 show off and the relatively good news that they added subscribers and cash in a time when the popular press predicted the opposite. there's really no question there has been a more positive "feel".

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-28-12 11:22 PM
    I think rim should focus on the bussines and student customers, and let apple and google battle for the fashion custumer. I see my self using my pb in college over an ipad or any other tablet why because of the size, multitasking wich would allow a dictionary, writing, and internet app maybe even social app to run at the same time while also allowing me to switch with a simple left or rigth gesture. besides compared to google and apple I feel any bb either phone or tablet has more security when it comes to privacy. I don't trust my androind while txting that simple
    09-28-12 11:26 PM
    Hmmm... Here's a radical suggestion! The press haven't suddenly "become positive" towards RIM. They're just treating RIM the same way they've always treated them: reported negative news when there was negative news to report (plenty of occasions throughout this year) and reporting positive news when there is something positive to report. Which is now.

So maybe this isn't so much the winds of change, as the wind is pretty much blowing the same it always have been. It's more the case of me, and many other people on Crackberry being absolutely correct, in the past, when we've dismissed conspiracy theories about the media and RIM, and pointed out that there IS NO "anti-RIM" bias.

There is only reporting on where there are news.
    09-28-12 11:30 PM
    Hmmm... Here's a radical suggestion! The press haven't suddenly "become positive" towards RIM. They're just treating RIM the same way they've always treated them: reported negative news when there was negative news to report (plenty of occasions throughout this year) and reporting positive news when there is something positive to report. Which is now.

So maybe this isn't so much the winds of change, as the wind is pretty much blowing the same it always have been. It's more the case of me, and many other people on Crackberry being absolutely correct, in the past, when we've dismissed conspiracy theories about the media and RIM, and pointed out that there IS NO "anti-RIM" bias.

There is only reporting on where there are news.
    Except lots of what goes on is NOT reporting facts but rather predicting things. The press predicted a loss of subs in net. It did not happen. The press predicted RIM would have bled tons of cash. Nope that didn't occur.
    kemj and bungaboy like this.
    09-28-12 11:35 PM
    RIM bashers lost a lot of firepower once they saw that they grew cash and net subscribers. Are they still struggling...sure, one could say that but for someone to say that they are dead obviously doesn't know what they are talking about at this point
    bungaboy and shn'g like this.
    09-28-12 11:47 PM
    The recent bump in positive reporting on Research in Motion cannot be sustained over the next six months. No marketing, or juvenile marketing schemes, is killing the BlackBerry brand. The media will rightfully report on the sagging fortunes of the company and its mobile technology. Any delays and/or screw-ups between October 2012 and March 2013 could spell the end of the company in terms of credibility and potentially financially.

Bring on BlackBerry 10 or walk the plank, Mr. Heins.
    09-29-12 12:04 AM
    OMG! The local hipster had to wait in the checkout queue for 10 minutes. At the local fast food restaurants a typical waiting time in queue is 10-15 minutes during the busiest times of the day - lunch and supper. The drive thru is not immune to these wait times albeit in the order of 2-5 minutes at the busiest times unless they just put in a new batch of fries. The horror!
    09-29-12 12:11 AM
    Signature: Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me
    I might judge you if you had said you are black and love banana lattes. I judge ***latte*** drinkers regardless of colour.
    esk369 and Rello like this.
    09-29-12 12:15 AM
    I think that so many people had such low expectations that when RIM beat them it surprised a lot of people. That said I think most people are reserving judgement until BB10 is released to the public. All the press has to do is agree that it's "as good as" Android and iOS and you'll see RIM stock go for a run. The real catalyst will be calendar Q2 and Q3 sales of BB10 devices.
    09-29-12 12:27 AM
    This week DID mark a shift in overall media perception. Sure, there were lots of developers coming on board, and we had heard interesting stories about what was coming, but this was really the week that RIM came out and proved that not only was BB10 NOT vaporware, it was already finished to a point where it would likely make the Q1 launch target.

Then on Thursday, we had a great leak of images for the N-series keyboard handset and financial that beat even my own most optimistic hopes.

They need to not f**k up, and deliver as promised.

(a side note: as a Dev Alpha participant, I was shocked to get that near feature-complete update this week--did not expect that at all. BB10 actually IS a distinctive experience, and it will indeed attract an audience)
    09-29-12 12:46 AM

By far, my favorite kids movie to date.
    bungaboy and DrBit2011 like this.
    09-29-12 01:03 AM
    Out of curiosity, did all the layoffs they had contribute much to the increase in cash reserve? What I'm wondering is how much of an impact one time cost savings vs. actual revenue due to new product sales had on cash.
    09-29-12 01:07 AM
    The recent bump in positive reporting on Research in Motion cannot be sustained over the next six months. No marketing, or juvenile marketing schemes, is killing the BlackBerry brand. The media will rightfully report on the sagging fortunes of the company and its mobile technology. Any delays and/or screw-ups between October 2012 and March 2013 could spell the end of the company in terms of credibility and potentially financially.

Bring on BlackBerry 10 or walk the plank, Mr. Heins.

See. More predictions as opposed to simply waiting to see what happens. This is what the press engages in as well because it is easy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Pdinos3, Superfly_FR and bungaboy like this.
    09-29-12 01:40 AM

weak. Where do you get this stuff?
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-29-12 01:49 AM
    Maybe I haven't read enough threads before posting this but the usual suspects seem to be pretty quiet. Also after any poor reports we get the usual bottom feeders on here posting and I haven't seem that yet.

The tide is rising and before anyone realizes it a wave is going to crash down. A 10 foot wave.
    bungaboy and sugbo like this.
    09-29-12 01:56 AM
    I think rim should focus on the bussines and student customers, and let apple and google battle for the fashion custumer. I see my self using my pb in college over an ipad or any other tablet why because of the size, multitasking wich would allow a dictionary, writing, and internet app maybe even social app to run at the same time while also allowing me to switch with a simple left or rigth gesture. besides compared to google and apple I feel any bb either phone or tablet has more security when it comes to privacy. I don't trust my androind while txting that simple
    (Nothing personal here - just my reading)

I think they have precisely defined who they will target: "people that do" - underlying : people that deserves it (brand exclusive image) - people that can afford it (profitability) - people that will use it (demo efficiency => buzz).

This is horizontal, not vertical. Like current BB users; from the C.E.O to the dancer. That's fine : unified message with targeted declinations makes advertising/communication easier (and cheaper).

By no chance they can afford to change this now. As for the rest of the "plan" : stick to it.
    09-29-12 03:17 AM
    Out of curiosity, did all the layoffs they had contribute much to the increase in cash reserve? What I'm wondering is how much of an impact one time cost savings vs. actual revenue due to new product sales had on cash.
    The goal is $1 Billion less per year for operational costs.
    Since I thought it was 3, unfortunately it appears to be 5K people that will quit the boat.
    Heins told they where half-way as of date, I also believe I read the cost for layoffs where around $300 millions. So, for this year, it may not impact cash at all
    (hyper roughly)
    Gains = 1 quarter of half a Billion is $125Millions X 2 Quarters = $250M
    Costs = I believe the costs will be almost supported by the end of the year (Usually, in that kind of massive layoffs, you begin with the biggest salaries), so, let's say $200 Millions.

That's how I perceive it ... but may be wrong.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-29-12 at 03:32 AM.
    09-29-12 03:30 AM
    RIM bashers lost a lot of firepower once they saw that they grew cash and net subscribers. Are they still struggling...sure, one could say that but for someone to say that they are dead obviously doesn't know what they are talking about at this point

I honestly don't even know what to say to stuff like this...where even to begin.

I did notice a change in the board....last week, there seemed to be a lot of thoughtful, reasonable people having in-depth discussions. This week, there's a lot of crowing and noise going on, from both the usual suspects (many of which don't seem able to express themselves very well), and a bunch of new names. It's a bit worrisome. If RIM does survive, I hope this isn't the fanaticism we'll see dominate the forum.

I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that many people are in the same boat as me, and can't even imagine how to respond to such posts. Particularly when stating the facts will get you labeled a "hater", and particularly when many of the most vociferous of the labelers post what seem to be nearly manic, delusional, rants! (not referring to you Rello, the post to which I'm responding was at the very least, clearly written, and at least had a focused point, even if it is one I think a bit....insane! LOL)

Anyways, back to the post. Rello....RIM LOST 235 milion dollars, and more market share. You realize don't you that the real metric for subscribers is marketshare? It doesn't matter if you have a net gain, if everyone else gets a greater amount - you're in trouble, and you're falling behind. As I posted before the call, the "negative" subscribers would really just be signficant in terms of 'shock" value...I'm not sure if you will understand what I'm telling you....RIM IS in the negative in terms of marketshare. In that sense going from 2 million to a net loss, isn't much different than going from 10 million to say...6 million, if the 10 million was not enough to maintain marketshare.

As to the cash gain, I have written all along that I think it was the only really important factor, (the others were all close to projection anyways). This was vital and RIM did a great job of conserving that cash! But to say one "could say" they're struggling, or that somehow the company is now healthy is just....beyond all reason. The whole reason they need the cash is because the company is in an emergency survival mode now. Just as the survivors of a disaster might have to carefully ration food, RIM must ration it's cash, to keep the company afloat, and to launch the products on which all future hope is based.
    Rello likes this.
    09-29-12 04:17 AM
    I might judge you if you had said you are black and love banana lattes. I judge ***latte*** drinkers regardless of colour.
    Thank u for not judging me kind friend lol. No lattes for me....simply grape kool aid.

If RIM gave out kool aid packs with the BB10 devices, I guarantee they'd get plenty customers ....mark my words lol
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-29-12 11:37 AM
    I hate to sully this thread but I thought the winds were a result of the sausageeeee n peppers.
    Sorry just can't resist a shot at a little toilet humor.
    bungaboy and kbz1960 like this.
    09-29-12 11:55 AM
    I honestly don't even know what to say to stuff like this...where even to begin.

I did notice a change in the board....last week, there seemed to be a lot of thoughtful, reasonable people having in-depth discussions. This week, there's a lot of crowing and noise going on, from both the usual suspects (many of which don't seem able to express themselves very well), and a bunch of new names. It's a bit worrisome. If RIM does survive, I hope this isn't the fanaticism we'll see dominate the forum.

I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that many people are in the same boat as me, and can't even imagine how to respond to such posts. Particularly when stating the facts will get you labeled a "hater", and particularly when many of the most vociferous of the labelers post what seem to be nearly manic, delusional, rants! (not referring to you Rello, the post to which I'm responding was at the very least, clearly written, and at least had a focused point, even if it is one I think a bit....insane! LOL)

Anyways, back to the post. Rello....RIM LOST 235 milion dollars, and more market share. You realize don't you that the real metric for subscribers is marketshare? It doesn't matter if you have a net gain, if everyone else gets a greater amount - you're in trouble, and you're falling behind. As I posted before the call, the "negative" subscribers would really just be signficant in terms of 'shock" value...I'm not sure if you will understand what I'm telling you....RIM IS in the negative in terms of marketshare. In that sense going from 2 million to a net loss, isn't much different than going from 10 million to say...6 million, if the 10 million was not enough to maintain marketshare.

As to the cash gain, I have written all along that I think it was the only really important factor, (the others were all close to projection anyways). This was vital and RIM did a great job of conserving that cash! But to say one "could say" they're struggling, or that somehow the company is now healthy is just....beyond all reason. The whole reason they need the cash is because the company is in an emergency survival mode now. Just as the survivors of a disaster might have to carefully ration food, RIM must ration it's cash, to keep the company afloat, and to launch the products on which all future hope is based.
    Appreciate the response. Let me just say I understand what you're saying. I am no RIM fanboi like many in these forums. U are absolutely correct when u say that you can state facts and be labeled as a "hater" and I hate that way of thinking that many have on these forums. I realize RIM is definitely struggling and mayb the way I stated my last post wawasn't the clearest. Marketshare is definitely important like u say and they are barely keeping pace with the competition. I guess what I was more or less trying to say in my last post was that I think some take the bashing much too far. RIM isn't anywhere near being comfortable as a company but there are some that literally consider them dead now and don't plan on giving the company a chance...even after demonstrating how well the new OS runs when its still 5+ months away and still running on a older processor (OMAP 4470 I believe in the dev alpha B). I was mainly talking about the people who wouldn't give credit to RIM when it was due no matter what they pull off. Like how u say "they did a great job reserving cash"....a lot of people don't even recognize this and attempt to see that this company is trying to make a comeback.

My intention isn't to ever prevent people from posting negative comments about RIM and its products. I welcome them with open arms as long as its a true statement and not just blatant bashing/trolling. Hope that better explains my last post
    09-29-12 11:57 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD