I upgraded this past week from the tour to the new style with sprint. I played around with the sample phone they had on display in the store. The first thing I noticed was that the optical trackpad seemed very unresponsive to my finger.

The sales rep said that he believes something is actually wrong with that particular phone (so he noticed it too). So I disregarded this issue because I loved the rest of the phone, and went ahead and purchased one.

After 3 days of use, I find it almost impossible to navigate through the phone using this trackpad. It's absoultely horrible. I passed it around to some coworkers and they agreed... terrible! It really set me off when my alarm went off to wake me up for work, and it took me literally 3 minutes to scroll to the "dismiss" button just to turn it off. I went back to the store to play around with the bold and curve (which appear to have the same trackpad) and noticed that they behave normally.

The sprint rep said I should actually downgrade if I didn't like it, offering few alternatives outside of an exchange. RIM makes you pay for technical support. I'm mainly wanting to see if any other style users have experienced this? I'm torn because I've been waiting for a phone like this and am unable to use it with this trackpad.
    11-19-10 05:10 PM
    My Style trackpad works flawlessly... Have had since Nov 1st and have never had an issue..

Sorry you're having problems with yours

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 09:32 PM
    yea that sounds like a defective unit, what i would say is check under

options> screen/keyboard

that the trackpad sensitivity isnt all the way down or something, the `norm` is 70,70.

if its not set all the way down then exchange/repair device
    11-19-10 09:36 PM
    Mine works great. I would say get a replacement unit.
    11-19-10 10:45 PM
    I have changed the settings several times with no difference. But it seems like an exchange is the option at this point so we'll see.
    11-20-10 10:29 AM
    I upgraded this past week from the tour to the new style with sprint. I played around with the sample phone they had on display in the store. The first thing I noticed was that the optical trackpad seemed very unresponsive to my finger.

The sales rep said that he believes something is actually wrong with that particular phone (so he noticed it too). So I disregarded this issue because I loved the rest of the phone, and went ahead and purchased one.

After 3 days of use, I find it almost impossible to navigate through the phone using this trackpad. It's absoultely horrible. I passed it around to some coworkers and they agreed... terrible! It really set me off when my alarm went off to wake me up for work, and it took me literally 3 minutes to scroll to the "dismiss" button just to turn it off. I went back to the store to play around with the bold and curve (which appear to have the same trackpad) and noticed that they behave normally.

The sprint rep said I should actually downgrade if I didn't like it, offering few alternatives outside of an exchange. RIM makes you pay for technical support. I'm mainly wanting to see if any other style users have experienced this? I'm torn because I've been waiting for a phone like this and am unable to use it with this trackpad.
    SJ claims you aren't holding it right....
    efn77mx likes this.
    11-20-10 10:31 AM
    I had the same issue and went to a BB store...and the demo version there had the same problem. It's intermittant, though, and seemed to happen when the system was "thinking". Turning off apps that were running in the background made it go away. To do this, hold the spotted button to the left of the track pad for 3 seconds. The applications that are running in the background will show up, and you can close them if you don't need them on at all times. Google Maps (esp. with traffic feeds), weather feeds, and a searching bluetooth connection can suck up a lot of processing and delay the track pad's response.
    01-26-11 12:48 PM
    Another thing to check is the OS version on your Style. There may be an update that might help with trackpad sensitivity.
    01-26-11 03:29 PM
    The trackpad on my Style and my wifes Style are both fine (on both OS versions). I did notice it behaves better on the 60/60 setting. If this doesn't help your phone I'd agree your unit is defective and I'd get an exchange.

01-26-11 03:36 PM
    I think it was just a bad phone. I find the style trackpad is much better than the Bold or Curve. In fact I have to turn it down to 50/50 sensitivity
    01-26-11 06:09 PM
    Ditto on it being a bad unit, my trackpad is very quick and precise, and soooo much better than the trackball was for me. I've dialed in at 70/60, and seems to be just right for me.

01-26-11 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD