There are a few major advantages and I am discovering them here and there. My iPhone is 10 times more friendly with the Mac computer over the BB and 10 times more friendly with my iTunes library as 100% of my content can sync. However I will give the BB a edge in a few areas.

1. Auto deleting and managing of text messages and emails. On the iPhone my OTHER SPACE has grown and so I need to manually delete emails and text messages. What a pain.

2. Direct Sync with MS Office. The iPhone cannot do this and I have the nice new fancy version of MS Office 2011 for Mac.

3. Volume Profiles

4. On board email filters and far better email management. If I was a business man I would prefer the BB for this one. However as a home user I find the iPhone superior for 90-95%% of my needs, except in a few areas where I give the BB the edge.
    Last edited by jwolf6589; 09-27-12 at 11:22 AM.
    09-27-12 11:15 AM
    I have my BB sync'd to my iTunes just fine, playlists and all.... works like a charm
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-27-12 11:20 AM
    iTunes is one of the main reasons I have never embraced Apple. It seems to want to take over my computer and become the default player for everything. It's UI is different than what I am used to ('different' - not better or worse) so I don't like it. I like just being able to plug my BB in and manually drag and drop from the explorer without having to 'sync' anything. I don't want to 'sync', I just want to put something on my phone and not worry if it matches everything else I have.
    kbz1960 and shemaree09 like this.
    09-27-12 11:29 AM
    I have my BB sync'd to my iTunes just fine, playlists and all.... works like a charm
    Trying syncing music you bought in 2005. Try syncing movies and TV shows. Thats why I said my iPhone is 100% compatible with iTunes. BB was only about 85-90% compatible as it WOULD NOT sync everything in my iTunes library.
    Last edited by jwolf6589; 09-28-12 at 07:59 AM.
    09-28-12 07:56 AM
    iTunes is one of the main reasons I have never embraced Apple. It seems to want to take over my computer and become the default player for everything. It's UI is different than what I am used to ('different' - not better or worse) so I don't like it. I like just being able to plug my BB in and manually drag and drop from the explorer without having to 'sync' anything. I don't want to 'sync', I just want to put something on my phone and not worry if it matches everything else I have.
    BB had that advantage, however the BB Curve at least one could not drag and drop to the internal RAM drive, but only to the SD Card. I hear that the Bold allows both.
    09-28-12 07:57 AM
    Well to think that our BB is 80-90% compatable with itunes is great. And naturally the iphone has to be 100% it is made by the same people.
    Thanks for the acknowledgement OP.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-28-12 08:05 AM
    If you want to sync everything, and you have a Mac, it makes sense to stay with the same ecosystem. But I don't want everything that's on my desktop to be on my phone or PlayBook - I want to pick and choose. And that's why I hate iTunes, it always wants to sync everything. I end up just going into the file system and dragging/dropping.

Same with iPhoto - I find it astounding that people consider instant sync of every photo they take with their phone to be a good thing. I keep maybe 1 photo out of every 5 that I take, and I want to make sure I like the image before I decide to keep it or send it along. I hope BB10 doesn't go in that direction as well.
    09-28-12 08:05 AM
    There are a few major advantages and I am discovering them here and there. My iPhone is 10 times more friendly with the Mac computer over the BB and 10 times more friendly with my iTunes library as 100% of my content can sync. However I will give the BB a edge in a few areas.

1. Auto deleting and managing of text messages and emails. On the iPhone my OTHER SPACE has grown and so I need to manually delete emails and text messages. What a pain.

2. Direct Sync with MS Office. The iPhone cannot do this and I have the nice new fancy version of MS Office 2011 for Mac.

3. Volume Profiles

4. On board email filters and far better email management. If I was a business man I would prefer the BB for this one. However as a home user I find the iPhone superior for 90-95%% of my needs, except in a few areas where I give the BB the edge.
    3 & 4 are definitely BB advantages IMO.

1 & 2 not so much.
    IOS can auto delete emails just like BB, so no advantage IMO.
    Even though Apple's iWork isn't as fully featured as Office, it's still much more full featured on ios than Docs2Go is an BB. It also offer instant, wireless sync between all idevices which I think is a huge advantage.
    09-28-12 09:04 AM
    I don't disagree with what you wrote. it's mostly true.

I will still stick with a device that's 100% compatible with 85% of the computers in the world, can drag&drop any file I need and doesn't require a proprietary cable that changes every couple years. Be it BB or Droid (never owned a droid but I think they are USB too).
    Toodeurep likes this.
    09-28-12 09:19 AM
    Trying syncing music you bought in 2005. Try syncing movies and TV shows. Thats why I said my iPhone is 100% compatible with iTunes. BB was only about 85-90% compatible as it WOULD NOT sync everything in my iTunes library.
    wasn't trying to argue bud, simply stating I have no issues syncing to my iTunes library.

maybe I should have clarified iTunes Library, (through DTM, no issues)
    09-28-12 12:49 PM
    If you want to sync everything, and you have a Mac, it makes sense to stay with the same ecosystem. But I don't want everything that's on my desktop to be on my phone or PlayBook - I want to pick and choose. And that's why I hate iTunes, it always wants to sync everything. I end up just going into the file system and dragging/dropping.

Same with iPhoto - I find it astounding that people consider instant sync of every photo they take with their phone to be a good thing. I keep maybe 1 photo out of every 5 that I take, and I want to make sure I like the image before I decide to keep it or send it along. I hope BB10 doesn't go in that direction as well.
    Actually BB is the one that does instant sync. On the iPhone I CHOOSE what to sync and not sync from photos that I take. However connecting a BB to the Mac syncs everything to iPhoto and that was one of the royal pains that I hated about the BB!
    09-29-12 05:14 AM
    I don't disagree with what you wrote. it's mostly true.

I will still stick with a device that's 100% compatible with 85% of the computers in the world, can drag&drop any file I need and doesn't require a proprietary cable that changes every couple years. Be it BB or Droid (never owned a droid but I think they are USB too).
    Apple changing their cable was a foolish move. There are MILLIONS of devices uses the older connector. I am not going to buy a new video out adapter over this.
    09-29-12 05:23 AM
    wasn't trying to argue bud, simply stating I have no issues syncing to my iTunes library.

maybe I should have clarified iTunes Library, (through DTM, no issues)
    DTM whats that?
    09-29-12 05:24 AM
    DTM whats that?
    Desktop manager, which I think is the worst thing about BB, I love iTunes. It really is about time to put a little effort in improving DTM. I completely agree with mike regarding OP's 4 points.
    09-29-12 06:42 AM
    Actually BB is the one that does instant sync. On the iPhone I CHOOSE what to sync and not sync from photos that I take. However connecting a BB to the Mac syncs everything to iPhoto and that was one of the royal pains that I hated about the BB!
    You have the option to sync or backup. I choose backup, every time, and then go into the file system to transfer only the photos I want.

To be fair, DTM for Mac is far inferior to the Windows version. I recently gave my 4-year-old iMac to the kids and got myself a PC that runs Linux (my preferred OS) and Windows (for BB backups and other specialized software that doesn't run in emulators). Life is much easier now.
    09-29-12 08:13 AM
    Wireless sync on my 9810 is AWESOME! Great feature, for those of you that are unaware of it, you should look into it.
    09-29-12 08:21 AM
    Desktop manager, which I think is the worst thing about BB, I love iTunes. It really is about time to put a little effort in improving DTM. I completely agree with mike regarding OP's 4 points.
    Oh yes I remember. The Mac version of the DTM got better over time, but it still is a joke compared to iTunes.
    10-04-12 09:07 AM
    You have the option to sync or backup. I choose backup, every time, and then go into the file system to transfer only the photos I want.

To be fair, DTM for Mac is far inferior to the Windows version. I recently gave my 4-year-old iMac to the kids and got myself a PC that runs Linux (my preferred OS) and Windows (for BB backups and other specialized software that doesn't run in emulators). Life is much easier now.
    No question about it that Windows often has superior software applications. Thats one advantage of a modern Mac is being able to boot into Windows, or run Windows side by side with virtual machine software such as Parallels desktop. I have a Windows boot partition and run Windows apps sometimes. You can't compare OSX Tiger to OSX Mountain Lion as ML is far better. I wish you would have gotten a modern Mac with a modern OS.
    10-04-12 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD