View Poll Results: Do you use your BlackBerry while driving?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never! Driving and BlackBerrying don't mix

96 12.96%
  • Only at stoplights

98 13.23%
  • I talk on the phone while driving

277 37.38%
  • I email/text/message people while driving

94 12.69%
  • I do whatever I want

176 23.75%
    talk on the phone but only with my bluetooth
    12-12-07 05:38 PM
    I've stopped texting while driving... too dangerous. Occasionally at stoplights, but I don't even do that too often. I do talk, but with my BT headset.
    12-12-07 06:11 PM
    and I've actually caught myself *READING*!

I'm trying to not do *that* anymore.
    12-12-07 06:20 PM
    No. Personal freedom should prevail.
    12-12-07 06:27 PM
    Yeah, what Thomas 843 said.
    12-12-07 07:37 PM
    talk with Bluetooth, quickly scan emails.
    12-12-07 08:06 PM
    As a safety factor that probably would be a good idea.
    12-12-07 09:44 PM
    Okay, so I put that I text and all that while driving, but the thing is...I don't drive. With my vision problems, driving is not an advisable choice...but hey, it just gives me more time to enjoy the Berry.
    12-12-07 09:58 PM
    While I think we have plenty of laws, here I may have to say there should be laws. In my opinion, you cannot pay full attention to driving a potentially lethal machine while you are involved in a phone conversation. Talking to a passenger is different, you will likely both see a potential problem and stop talking while you handle possible conflict. On a phone call, the person on the other end of the call will just keep talking through whatever may occur, at least until they hear you scream.
    12-12-07 10:19 PM
    This is one of my alltime biggest bugbears!!!!

In the UK it is now illegal to use your phone whilst driving unless you use a handsfree kit to talk (although even if you're talking handsfree and drive erratically or are involved in an accident you can still be prosecuted!) but you still get loads of muppets doing it which means they are not giving their full attention to the road ahead! If caught you will receive a roadside penalty of 3 points on your licence & a �60 fine. If you refuse this and take it to court you could receive not only additional points but also you could face a discretionary disqualification and a maximum fine of �1,000 (unless you're a commercial driver in which case the max fine is �2,500).

For those of you that do it please read the following from a road safety website. . .

2) What's wrong with using a mobile phone while driving?
    It is dangerous because a telephone conversation (or texting) distracts from the mental concentration needed to drive safely. You put yourself and other road users in danger.
    Research has shown that driver's reaction times are up to 50% slower that normal when driving and using a mobile phone. It also shows that your reaction times are 30% worse than when driving under the influence of alcohol. Other research suggests that if you are using a mobile phone while driving you are four times more likely to have a crash.

Everyone hates a drink driver but research shows your reaction times are worse when you're on the phone. . . have a wee think about just how important your call/text message is and just how much you're willing to risk by taking it!!

Rant over. . . .
    12-13-07 03:37 AM
    always behind the wheel i do my best blackberrying behind the wheel
    12-13-07 03:45 AM
    I think as far as peoples use handsfree kit to phone while driving, it is fine. However, holding the phone or texting/messaging is really dangerous and therefore banned.
    12-13-07 06:53 AM
    I would say that there should definitely be something regarding the use of the keypad/texting/emailing while driving. That is just plain stupid to be trying to type while driving. Your concentration should be on the road and not the keypad.

With that being said, talking on the phone is no worse than talking to someone beside you in the passenger seat, imo. So to that end, that should be left alone. Maybe the use of a headset should be required, but a ban on phone usage would be completely ridiculous. I am a sales manager for my company and if I need to take a call, or make a call, while out in the car, it has to be done.

BgDM
    12-13-07 07:08 AM
    I think you should be able to talk handsfree. I know I can handle holding the phone and talking but many ppl responsible for my road rage are jerks on the phone. Texting is a no no its definitely distracting. Overall, it comes down to a few idiots ruining it for us all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-07 08:30 AM
    I think it should be like in the state of New York. Technically it's illegal, but a cop won't pull you over and ticket you for it unless he gets you for something else (ie. speeding, swirving, etc). Honestly though, carriers should give away handsfree kits with the phones to make it safe for everyone. The kits don't cost that much.
    Relletti likes this.
    12-13-07 10:32 AM
    no the problems isnt the phone, the problem is the hand who hold the phone, many people says that even if you get a haedset the problem is that you keep a conversation. i dont want to take a ride with them cause it would be boring. these people dont talk to their wife or child when going in family, they are silent to dont distract the driver, i dont think... so force people to buy headset is ok but not more. just talk responsibly and not worst than talking to passenger in ride....
    12-13-07 10:39 AM
    with BB gps on sprint, they better not make any car restrictions, or I'll be forever lost.
    12-13-07 11:46 AM
    I think that some people need to come off their soapbox about banning bb's in the car. Let's be fair about distractions and ban the radio-you have to tune it, ban the fast food-how do you eat a big mac and drive-ban the air and heater controls-you have to look at them to change them, ban the kids yelling in the back seat, and ban the people who speed because you have to react quicker. Common sense is not so common but there are already enough unenforced laws in the world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-07 01:10 PM
    I do use it in the car, but I am now trying to use the bus more often.
    12-13-07 02:10 PM
    I don't know if illegal, but something's gotta happen. You can always tell, when you are behind someone, if they are on the phone or texting. They drive about 5-10 mph slower than the speed limit and swerve a lot. I feel like ramming them from behind or getting in front and slowing down.

I voted for "talk and drive" only because I do it sometimes. I only answer for my wife....everyone else can wait.
    12-13-07 02:30 PM
    Talking and driving is ok, providing you're using a bluetooth headset or if you're using the speaker phone.

Holding the phone while driving should be illegal, as should be texting while driving.
    12-13-07 03:14 PM
    It's a habit habit to start.....shouldn't do it though.
    12-13-07 04:45 PM
    i talk on the phone while i'm driving - gotta keep that bluetooth charged at all times! i have been guilty of txting or emailing at stoplights though
    12-13-07 05:09 PM
    I've at times read text messages that have come to me while I've been driving. BIG NO NO.

I think the gov't should restrict usage to handsfree devices. I think it helps. If you travel on military bases, that is one of the rules of the road.
    12-13-07 06:50 PM
    I do the whole, look down for a sec and look back up texting. And for phone calls as well
    12-13-07 06:54 PM
724 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD