View Poll Results: Do you use your BlackBerry while driving?

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never! Driving and BlackBerrying don't mix

96 12.96%
  • Only at stoplights

98 13.23%
  • I talk on the phone while driving

277 37.38%
  • I email/text/message people while driving

94 12.69%
  • I do whatever I want

176 23.75%
    No... the lawmakers should recognize that members of our busy, fast-paced society need to get things done on the move. That doesn't mean people shouldn't be safe drivers. Bluetooth or other hands-free methods of phone-use should be mandatory.

I just bought a new vehicle with Bluetooth built into the steering wheel. It is WONDERFUL. Hopefully, this will become standard in every new vehicle in the not-too-distant future.
    12-20-07 06:03 AM
    I need to control more what I do on the bb while driving...restrict it to just talking
    12-20-07 06:18 AM
    wouldn't be an addict if I didn't!
    12-20-07 06:34 AM
    No! Any form of distracted driving is dangerous, and illegal, but I don't believe in making laws based on particular technology or devices.
    12-20-07 06:37 AM
    Should the government pass laws making BlackBerry/cell phone usage illegal while driving?
    Yes, but I would be the first one in jail as a repeat offender.
    12-20-07 06:59 AM
    absolutely should be banned. I was driving in the snow (which can be tricky enough) and the silly tween girl next to me was typing away at 40 mph!

I personally would love to see some type of gps sensor that recognizes if you are driving and locks any texting / emailing function.

How every did we live without it?
    12-20-07 07:02 AM
    Dont think it should be illegal, but the should make it mandatory to use a handsfree kit if you have to talk and drive.
    I agree 100%.
    12-20-07 07:23 AM
    Do you ever notice that people never use their blinkers when driving and talking on the phone?
    12-20-07 07:27 AM
    Merry Festivus
    12-20-07 07:29 AM
    I find myself screaming at people because they are talking on the phone and not looking at the street lights. Its not so much people can't handle it, however i think it would be best to let only race car drivers to talk while driving. Lets wait to talk/text/email until the key is out of the ignition. Remember, its not the act of talking, but the concentration that goes behind it.
    12-20-07 07:49 AM
    I'm kind of a hypocryte (sp?) on this one as I've complained loudly about stupid phone drivers who are careless, but I've been known to check email on boring drives from time to time. Probably should be sticking to hands-free voice use though.
    12-20-07 07:56 AM
    Absolutely! Your job at the moment while you are driving down the road is to drive the car in a safe manner. Do your job.
    12-20-07 07:57 AM
    Just talk or use GPS... no driving and texting.
    Same here...with the added application of either a BT car kit or headset...much safer and better experience. Now I have been known to text at that odd stop light...
    12-20-07 08:16 AM
    I think it would be wrong to make it illegal to talk on your BB while driving but it should be strongly encouraged to use hands free products.
    12-20-07 08:36 AM
    Yes. Don't actually use your device (i.e. talk , text, etc. etc.) while driving. Putting up a BB on your winshield to use the GPS, that's fine though.
    12-20-07 08:38 AM
    no because my addicting cant be stopped while i drive my car. i would go nuts
    12-20-07 08:43 AM
    We need them fro security of the country not how live our lives.
    12-20-07 08:45 AM
    i can be seen at lights texting lol
    12-20-07 08:55 AM
    yes, when your eyes are off the road, you are off the road, it's as easy as that, don't even get me started on texting while driving, omg.
    12-20-07 08:56 AM
    People should be able to talk on the phone --- I don't know if with a headset is better.. b/c I can speak for myself as well as the rest of the crazies I see on the road... and when using a bluetooth, I start talking with my hands.. If I'm holding the phone to my ear, I at least still have one hand on the wheel!!!
    12-20-07 09:00 AM
    I think use of handsfree devices should be required when driving.
    12-20-07 09:20 AM
    I am guilty. I use a handsfree device for talking, but I text and email while driving. I know I will get crushed for it, but I admit it. I try to keep it to stop lights, but I don't always do that.
    12-20-07 09:23 AM
    To me it is dangerous to talk or text on the phone while driving.
    Accidents occur without notice, its best be alert.
    12-20-07 09:34 AM
    Can talk safely on a cell phone and drive. I use bluetooth all the time anyway. Should they make talking on a cell phone illegal? PROBABLY because people just dont have the attention span for multi-tasking. (IE The idiots who should've never GOTTEN a cell phone to begin with) It's one of those situations where the masses ruin it for the few who can do things with no problems. Sadly, it'll never be MADE illegal. (Many places are making the headset a requirement, but people who cant drive and talk are NEVER going to be able to do so)
    12-20-07 09:35 AM
    I have noticed that the bulk of "almost" accidents I've almost been in, have been because of someone with one hand on their phone up by their ear. I think that talking/texting on a cell phone should be illegal if you don't have a hands free kit. Just that one extra hand on the steering wheel seems to make all the difference.

Erik
    12-20-07 09:44 AM
724 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD