Just bought a 8120 (unlocked, sim free) and still have to decide on network.

Have got a number of pay as you go SIM for (O2, Vodaphone, Orange T-Mobile etc) and wanted to get the settings for UMA before I comitted.

Does anyone have the setup for UMA that I need to supply to the phone or do I need to get them from the network?

Iain
    02-12-08 03:29 AM
    Hmm, I was just wondering the same thing myself.

Seems like SIM free 8120's don't default to the standard UMA practice of searching for a generic UNC as specified by 3GPP. I'm guessing you need either an operator specific OS or at least some operator specific files loaded onto the device before it will even attempt to connect to a UMA network.

Does anyone know if such an OS or files exist anywhere public? It doesn't matter to me what operator these files come from, I just want to find some way of initiating a UMA connection from the 8120.
    02-12-08 05:56 AM
    I know in the State that UMA with T-Mobile is a specific config in the device. BUT, the UMA service will not work with Pre-Paid, and you must be a contract customer. So even if you get the config on your device, you cant access the UMA network unless you have a month-to-month bill.
    02-18-08 12:01 PM
    Just bought a 8120 (unlocked, sim free) and still have to decide on network.

Have got a number of pay as you go SIM for (O2, Vodaphone, Orange T-Mobile etc) and wanted to get the settings for UMA before I comitted.

Does anyone have the setup for UMA that I need to supply to the phone or do I need to get them from the network?

Iain
    UMA is ONLY available via T-Mobile. And I believe you must have the T-Mobile 8320. I don't believe AT&T's phones support UMA because AT&T does not offer UMA service. Just another in a long line of things AT&T fails to do right.

T-Mobile is your answer my friend. Come on over.
    02-19-08 01:43 PM
    Is UMA in the Uk?

If you are also wanting BB email etc, and other Blackberry features on your 8120 then pay and go will not work, all you will get is calls & sms.

If you are going for a Blackberry Tariff O2 & T mobile are the cheapest and give more data useage per month. Orange and Vodaphone only give 6mb per month.
    02-19-08 01:52 PM
    Is UMA in the Uk?
    I make no claim to speak as an authority on this. I'm only offering what I've come to understand about how UMA works from conversations with others.

My understanding is that UMA calls use the Internet to transmit calls (as opposed to a cell tower) to a dedicated T-Mobile center with a TMo server/switching point which then routes the calls. Thus, you must be using a TMo UMA phone with TMo service to send and receive UMA calls.

Because other carriers do not support UMA, you cannot attempt to program their phones to work with UMA anymore than you could use a Verizon CDMA phone on a T-Mobile or AT&T GSM network. Other carriers' phones are not UMA capable phones. They won't work with TMo UMA service.

Because other carriers do not support UMA, you also cannot take a T-Mobile UMA phone and use it on another carrier's network because they do not have the switching capability to handle UMA traffic.

It is my understanding that in today's world, you can only send and receive UMA calls using a TMo phone with a TMo service plan.

Now to your question about service in England. A TMo USA customer traveling to England with a TMO UMA phone would be able to access UMA service in England (or anywhere else). The TMo phone accesses the Internet and sends the call to TMo's UMA switch and it is processed as a normal call regardless of where it originated. It would be processed as a USA call because it originated on a USA UMA phone.

I realize this is somewhat complicated. But I don't believe you can send or receive UMA calls today unless you are using a TMo UMA phone with TMo service. I know for a fact that this is completely true in the United States. I am not aware of any European carriers with UMA service but I don't live in Europe and cannot speak with certainty about service in other countries. You may wish to check with your carrier to see if they support UMA.
    02-19-08 02:20 PM
    Thank you for explaining that, I do not have a wifi/Uma phone & have never heard the term UMA used in the UK I was merely trying to get the original poster to check this out and your answer should be most helpful to them.
    02-19-08 03:14 PM
    Was just reading something elsewhere about UMA on Orange uk and apparently it is available but no one seems to know if there is a charge for it or not and it is a bit erratic as it is fairly new to Orange.

Be warned though Orange's Blackberry Tariff only gives you 6mb data usage per month though.
    02-19-08 04:40 PM
    Be warned though Orange's Blackberry Tariff only gives you 6mb data usage per month though.
    Again, I'm not in Europe so I don't speak as an expert on phone matters over there but you may be confusing WiFi and UMA.

UMA = Unlicensed Mobile Access: Access to cellular mobile voice services over unlicensed spectrum technologies.

WiFi = Wireless fidelity, a term used for a set of wireless standards for local coverage, also known as 802.11.

Generally UMA refers to voice calls make via the Internet (although it also applies to data) while WiFi usually means wireless data access.

Orange may provide WiFi data access but not UMA voice access. Again to my knowledge, T-Mobile USA is the only provider of UMA today. Feedback from others on availability by carriers elsewhere is most welcome.
    02-20-08 01:50 AM
    Orange Unveils �Unik� - UMA-based FMC Service | Current Analysis

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-08 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD