& why? Mine is windows 1250. Why? Because I was told to lol. I don't really understand this feature which is what the purpose of this thread is. Maybe I can gain some insight...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 10:27 AM
    Might help to know where this encoding is set.
    06-30-10 10:46 AM
    It's in your menu options when u hit the BlackBerry button.. Above the "call voicemail" option (on a 9700 anyway).

06-30-10 10:49 AM
    Must be a T-Mo thing because I do not have that.
    06-30-10 10:54 AM
    I have tmobile and a 9700 and I have no idea what he's talking aboot. I've never seen that either.

Can you post a screen pic of this option?
    06-30-10 11:01 AM
    Must be a T-Mo thing because I do not have that.
    Must be, I can't find anything like it either.
    06-30-10 11:02 AM
    Lol its in the ATT menue as well. "SHE" is talking about in your Full menu where you'd go to refresh a page.. ( The berry button next to the green phone button) it is an option to set the encoding. UTF-8,UTF-16LE,UTF-16BE,UTF-16 etc. Its on every phone. The Charset.. I just don't understand why each option is different and what the advantages/disadvantages of each one is.

06-30-10 11:42 AM
    Do you have a screen shot? No one know what you're talking about...
    06-30-10 11:48 AM
    Yes but I can't upload it from my Berry unfortunately.. So- I'll try again later when I'm near a computer..

06-30-10 11:59 AM
    Mines set to iso 8859-1. While viewing a page it should be listed in your menu under Set Encoding.

06-30-10 12:25 PM
    Oh! It helps if you say it's in the browser you know.

That is character encoding, what you can see on screen. There are many different character sets, some specifically tailored for viewing other languages.

For example, we cannot view Cyrillic normally but we can by enabling a different type of encoding.

Traditional encoding for us North Americans uses a single byte to give us any character on our keyboard plus a few more. But go to Chinese or Japanese where they have thousands of characters and a single number in the range of 0..255 cannot possibly contain all those characters.

So you can choose other encoding methods, most commonly wide byte characters that have a range of 0..65535 entries par physical character.

So with this you can easily display any and all languages. The reason there are so many different types of encoding is because in previous years there was no standardized encoding method. These days we have UNICODE which I think is the most commonly used. It is standard and every language can be represented within it.

Either that or it's wide byte encoding, I forget which off the top of my head. UNICODE is used whenever I make my software so I'm sticking with that.
    06-30-10 12:37 PM
    This is a screenshot, but I have no idea what is does either.

06-30-10 12:38 PM
    Yeah, I didn't understand either. But heres a screenshot for those wondering. Mine is set to iso-8859-1

06-30-10 12:39 PM
    Oh! It helps if you say it's in the browser you know.

That is character encoding, what you can see on screen. There are many different character sets, some specifically tailored for viewing other languages.

For example, we cannot view Cyrillic normally but we can by enabling a different type of encoding.

Traditional encoding for us North Americans uses a single byte to give us any character on our keyboard plus a few more. But go to Chinese or Japanese where they have thousands of characters and a single number in the range of 0..255 cannot possibly contain all those characters.

So you can choose other encoding methods, most commonly wide byte characters that have a range of 0..65535 entries par physical character.

So with this you can easily display any and all languages. The reason there are so many different types of encoding is because in previous years there was no standardized encoding method. These days we have UNICODE which I think is the most commonly used. It is standard and every language can be represented within it.

Either that or it's wide byte encoding, I forget which off the top of my head. UNICODE is used whenever I make my software so I'm sticking with that.
    That makes sense now. Which option on the BlackBerry would you recommend?
    06-30-10 12:41 PM
    I believe the default is ISO-8859-1 is sufficient. This will cover quite a few languages in the world and unless you're dealing with Asian languages you will probably never have to change.

The primary purpose of the other character sets is to support either oddball cases that no one uses anymore or to support very specific things you will almost never see in your internet travels.

If you ever encounter a website where a lot of text is represented just as ??????????? then you may have to play with the encoding to get them to show up properly.
    06-30-10 12:45 PM
    Thank you guys for the screenshots/explanation! This makes a lot more sense..

06-30-10 12:52 PM
    I believe the default is ISO-8859-1 is sufficient. This will cover quite a few languages in the world and unless you're dealing with Asian languages you will probably never have to change.

The primary purpose of the other character sets is to support either oddball cases that no one uses anymore or to support very specific things you will almost never see in your internet travels.

If you ever encounter a website where a lot of text is represented just as ??????????? then you may have to play with the encoding to get them to show up properly.
    Thanks! I set my encoding to ISO-8859-1, but I will know about changing the settings if I have problems viewing a page.
    06-30-10 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD