I doubt it'll do bad iPhone and Android have dominated the market for quite some time. Folks who I have talked to say they are willing to try it just because they're sick of their iPhone or sick of their Android and already tried the competition and don't feel comfortable with it. So regardless of how launch goesRIM is going to have people trying their product, now the question is will they like it or will not? That depends on preference and if it impresses.
    12-28-12 10:25 AM
    I disagree, at least partially. RIM is doing *fine* world-wide, it's just struggling in NA. If things really go south and this crashes and burns (not likely IMHO), they can easily just switch focus onto the rest of the world (likely with 7.0-type devices). They won't actually 'die'.
    Globally RIM is doing ok in some markets, but overall Globally they are still loosing marketshare, and now they are selling fewer phones than they did last quarter. And do you really believe the even developing markets will continue to accept OS7 devices as the other platforms continue to progress? RIM has the advantage right now with the way some plans are priced, but as networks continue to develop and mature that could change very quickly and RIM will be in the same position in those market that they are in NA.
    12-28-12 10:26 AM
    They just took it off YaWhoooo!!! Talk about their sources...
    12-28-12 10:28 AM
    I suppose ALL of the reports of BLACKBERRY selling well in other countries is a.......HOAX. Doubt that very much. Honestly you need to get out more, or read whats going on in other countries besides the ONE your familiar with. The BB10 devices ....IMO, are targeted at North America market to compete in a very crowed arena. Hopefully the BB10 will do well in this ever changing "smartphone" world we live in.......hear today gone tomorrow.
    Oh so maybe it is just a hoax that RIM is losing money each quarter and maybe RIM isn't loosing subscribers faster than they are gaining them? Maybe RIM just made all of that up.

Here are the latest numbers from South African carrier Vodacom:

RIM sold 300,000 BlackBerry phones - a growth of 12% over the previous quarter
    Android OEMs sold 500,000 Android phones - a growth of 40% over the previous quarter
    Apple sold 250,000 iPhones - a growth of 100% over the previous quarter

I can read whats going on in South Africa! Look BlackBerry growth has slowed considerably. The BlackBerry fad in South Africa and Nigeria is slowly dying. Just because North American ditched BlackBerry first, doesn't mean other countries aren't or wont follow.

Have you ever heard of TCL Communication? I haven't. Not once until about 5 minutes ago. But you know what? They are even beating RIM now. TCL sold 2.2% of the smartphones that were sold last quarter, while RIM only sold 2.1%. Now for the previous quarter, RIM was beating TCL. TCL = 2.0% while RIM = 2.9% . That is crazy that RIM is selling well in all these countries, yet still losing World-wide market share and can't even keep up with TCL.

2.1% of the smartphones that were sold last quarter were made by RIM. In what planet is that selling well?
    12-28-12 10:51 AM
    Fox news exemplifies what is wrong with media in general.... no actual reporting.... just rehash of other news items with no fact checking.... great example of "do not let facts get in the way of what you believe".....
    12-28-12 11:17 AM
    STUDY: Watching FOX News Makes You Stupid - Business Insider

Stop watching them... It's unhealthy for the mind!
    12-28-12 11:31 AM
    Oh so maybe it is just a hoax that RIM is losing money each quarter and maybe RIM isn't loosing subscribers faster than they are gaining them? Maybe RIM just made all of that up.

Here are the latest numbers from South African carrier Vodacom:

RIM sold 300,000 BlackBerry phones - a growth of 12% over the previous quarter
    Android OEMs sold 500,000 Android phones - a growth of 40% over the previous quarter
    Apple sold 250,000 iPhones - a growth of 100% over the previous quarter

I can read whats going on in South Africa! Look BlackBerry growth has slowed considerably. The BlackBerry fad in South Africa and Nigeria is slowly dying. Just because North American ditched BlackBerry first, doesn't mean other countries aren't or wont follow.

Have you ever heard of TCL Communication? I haven't. Not once until about 5 minutes ago. But you know what? They are even beating RIM now. TCL sold 2.2% of the smartphones that were sold last quarter, while RIM only sold 2.1%. Now for the previous quarter, RIM was beating TCL. TCL = 2.0% while RIM = 2.9% . That is crazy that RIM is selling well in all these countries, yet still losing World-wide market share and can't even keep up with TCL.

2.1% of the smartphones that were sold last quarter were made by RIM. In what planet is that selling well?
    Rim's numbers impress me here, considering Blackberry hasn't launched a high end phone in 16 months and Android OEMs include quite a few phone makers grouped together. I wonder if any one brand using an Android OEM sold more than 300,000 phones over the previous quarter. I would like to see these numbers after Q2 next year.
    I do believe RIM is "all in" with BB10, but it is difficult for me to picture RIM closing it's doors next year, even in the worst case scenario.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-28-12 12:29 PM
    Well this discussion sent me on a search of global smartphone marsketshare for 2012. What I found was disheartening and doesn't support my impression that RIM was doing well globally. I was wrong.

Now, I have never used this company, but I couldn't find evidence that it was affiliated with any smartphone platform. Therefore I take their data with a "hhhhhhmmmm.....interesting......" kind of attitude.

KWP_ComTech_OS_Shares_P12[1].pdf don't think you'll be able to access this so I'll just link below.

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/glob...ne-share-in-US

Just hit "Download All Market Shares"
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-28-12 12:33 PM

TCL is one of China's largest consumer electronics companies. They make everything from TVs to microwave ovens to computers to cell phones. They're the ODM for phones sold as Alcatel. Similar to Samsung, they're a conglomerate with multiple stock exchange listings under names like TCL Corp, TCL Multimedia, TCL Communications, and others.
    Saiga likes this.
    12-28-12 12:40 PM
    We're all just bored & fidgety waiting for a) Jan 30th, 2013, and b) a date we can buy BB10 devices. It was easier when I was ignorant of BB10.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-28-12 01:15 PM
    STUDY: Watching FOX News Makes You Stupid - Business Insider

Stop watching them... It's unhealthy for the mind!
    +1,000,000,000,000
    12-28-12 01:33 PM
    +1,000,000,000,000
    Always 10%
    12-28-12 01:43 PM
    We're all just bored & fidgety waiting for a) Jan 30th, 2013, and b) a date we can buy BB10 devices. It was easier when I was ignorant of BB10.
    Boy that is the truth. Going to be a long month
    12-28-12 01:45 PM
    I have to agree with others here. This is RIM's last chance to survive. At the very least, if RIM's handset division dies, it will be with a bang and not a whimper. To paraphrase King Theoden, if RIM is to die, let it be such a death as to be remembered!

Anyway, I'll be lining up with the rest of you to back RIM. The BB10 will be awesome. I hope others see the phone the way we do.
    The BlackBerry Loyalists, including myself, have basically drawn a line on the ground for Research In Motion in regards to BlackBerry 10. Whether the fate of BlackBerry aligns with The Battle of Waterloo (18 June 1815) or The Battle of the Alamo (23 February 1836 � 06 March 1836) remains to be determined.
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-28-12 02:09 PM
    Well this discussion sent me on a search of global smartphone marsketshare for 2012. What I found was disheartening and doesn't support my impression that RIM was doing well globally. I was wrong.

Now, I have never used this company, but I couldn't find evidence that it was affiliated with any smartphone platform. Therefore I take their data with a "hhhhhhmmmm.....interesting......" kind of attitude.

KWP_ComTech_OS_Shares_P12[1].pdf don't think you'll be able to access this so I'll just link below.

News - Apple achieves its highest ever Smartphone share in US - Kantar Worldpanel

Just hit "Download All Market Shares"
    Took a look at that data. Doesn't include any of Africa, none of Central/South America with exception of Brazil, most of Asia, even a lot of Eastern Europe. Plus RIM hasn't released a new high end phone in the entire time of that second compared cycle. It is known that RIM shipped out 7+ Million phones last quarter but end users bought 10+ Million (still clearing out overly high inventory of BBOS devices). These are old BBOS phones. Markets with heavy saturation of Android and iOS RIM is doing poorly in with the current dated offerings. Also how many people are still using BB in these markets and may be waiting for BB10 or coming towards the end of their contracts? The "Marketshare" numbers in this document is based on sales, not users, and majority of people can't buy multiple phones per year, much less even yearly. I'm actually impressed that RIM is still selling 10 Million devices in a quarter to end users give the age of the product line and the changes in the smartphone market. BB10 will give RIM a product offering that actually has a chance to compete in the mature markets shown in the link provided. In the end we'll have to see how 2013 plays out for RIM sales in the markets shown in this link though, as that will decided if RIM is really going to make a comeback with BB10.
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-28-12 02:19 PM
    It's Fox. A mediocre spokeschannel for the conservative right quoting a failing has-been internet giant. Trash will result.

That said....BB10 is make or break for RIM in the U.S. Anyone who hasn't got blinders on can see that.
    I want to hump this post so hard...

FAUX news pays salaries to Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. As long as they consider those buffoons employable, and Rupert murdoch calls the shots, they are a second class opinion station.

REDRUM. REDRUM. REDSGS3.
    randall2580 likes this.
    12-28-12 02:22 PM
    Well kiddies, I remember when it really was news......now it is just infotainment. One needs very big filters to be able to sift through the chaff to get to the kernels of grain....boy talk about mixed metaphors.
    12-28-12 02:29 PM
    Took a look at that data. Doesn't include any of Africa, none of Central/South America with exception of Brazil, most of Asia, even a lot of Eastern Europe. Plus RIM hasn't released a new high end phone in the entire time of that second compared cycle. It is known that RIM shipped out 7+ Million phones last quarter but end users bought 10+ Million (still clearing out overly high inventory of BBOS devices). These are old BBOS phones. Markets with heavy saturation of Android and iOS RIM is doing poorly in with the current dated offerings. Also how many people are still using BB in these markets and may be waiting for BB10 or coming towards the end of their contracts? The "Marketshare" numbers in this document is based on sales, not users, and majority of people can't buy multiple phones per year, much less even yearly. I'm actually impressed that RIM is still selling 10 Million devices in a quarter to end users give the age of the product line and the changes in the smartphone market. BB10 will give RIM a product offering that actually has a chance to compete in the mature markets shown in the link provided. In the end we'll have to see how 2013 plays out for RIM sales in the markets shown in this link though, as that will decided if RIM is really going to make a comeback with BB10.
    As I stated when I posted, I am unfamiliar with the site so I take the data as interest and not gospel. I like to look at sales.
    If there are counter numbers of actual global sales, please do include them.
    I posted numbers I found. Not making an argument either way nor giving reasons. Just numbers.
    The reported erosion is more than I had anticipated.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-28-12 03:15 PM
    12-28-12 04:48 PM
    12-28-12 04:52 PM

Spot on, Lois.
    Bobert_123 and owadkelly like this.
    12-28-12 05:00 PM
    Who cares, I don't watch Fox anyway...
    12-28-12 05:15 PM
    seriously? i didn't know fox reported on anything in a serious manner. its like MADtv 24/7 over there.
    12-28-12 06:28 PM
    Fox news? Fact check please.
    12-28-12 07:10 PM
    There are people that believe BB will disappear. I don't follow that line, but without an image revamp, they could become a bit player in the States, which would be a shame. I haven't folded the umbrella on them, and I know other users who are currently using other devices are willing to give them a chance. So, we roll in a little over a month from now with bated breath, cross our fingers, and whisper our prayers to whomever we call our higher power, for that miraculous sunrise to break and save us from the darkness.
    12-28-12 08:42 PM
89 1234