That's because TV shows are realistic about everyday usage of smartphones. iPhones are flashy devices that gets no work done. It's the BB that get's things done.

Yes, BB still has its fallbacks (like the previous poster mentioning Skype). But this is just one shortcoming compared to so many advantages of the BB. But then again, I wouldn't compromise my security (I work in a security related firm) over the convenience of Skype anytime. I believe this is just personal preference which comes down to each persons usage patterns and requirements.
    Well said. BB is second to none when it comes to security. This is why i am so amped up for BB10. There will be way more app and Skpe is a possibility. If no Skype i know there will be video chat on BBM so that would work for me since most of my contacts will likely upgrade to a bb10 phone. BB10 2013 Q1 BABY!!!
    10-31-12 08:13 AM
    I don't think it has anything to do with whether a character works for a government agency or not or the quality of "fart apps" a platform has. As a reminder - BB has plenty of fart apps.

On CSI, they use iPhones. There are a couple BB 8350i phones floating around.
    On Law and Order SVU, both Olivia and Finn use iPhones. Stabler used to use a BB Style in the 9th season I think.
    On Grey's Anatomy, most use iPhones and Android.
    Bad example I know, but on Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making the Team everyone has an iPhone.
    On Castle, most everyone has an iPhone. Castle used to have a Windows phone and now he has an iPhone like Beckett. Penny Johnson Jerald who plays the captain tweeted that she uses an iPhone on the show but misses her BlackBerry in real life.
    10-31-12 08:33 AM
    iPhones are flashy devices that gets no work done. It's the BB that get's things done.
    Amuses me to no end that you actually seem to believe this!
    shemaree09 likes this.
    10-31-12 10:56 AM
    um... how about the more obvious answer. Rim paid to have their products placed in these shows?
    10-31-12 11:06 AM
    I don't think it has anything to do with whether a character works for a government agency or not or the quality of "fart apps" a platform has. As a reminder - BB has plenty of fart apps.

On CSI, they use iPhones. There are a couple BB 8350i phones floating around.
    On Law and Order SVU, both Olivia and Finn use iPhones. Stabler used to use a BB Style in the 9th season I think.
    On Grey's Anatomy, most use iPhones and Android.
    Bad example I know, but on Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making the Team everyone has an iPhone.
    On Castle, most everyone has an iPhone. Castle used to have a Windows phone and now he has an iPhone like Beckett. Penny Johnson Jerald who plays the captain tweeted that she uses an iPhone on the show but misses her BlackBerry in real life.
    In all honesty if we go about looking at every show on tv handsdown bb phones will be a minority. Reality is Iphones/Andriods currently has an enormous market share. However, thats why i said "Serious TV shows choose blackberry". Examples are Boss on starz, Newsroom on HBO, Strikeback on Cinemax, Homeland on Showtime and some on regular channels like Scandal..But still a serious show. It just seems to me when it comes to premium/serious shows i see Blackberry's being used. It tells me there is credibility. (Contrary to the bs NY times article. ) IPHONE's or Andriods would have been fine on any of the mentioned shows but they are not used. Just a thought.
    10-31-12 11:09 AM
    um... how about the more obvious answer. Rim paid to have their products placed in these shows?
    Possibly...one of my many questions.
    10-31-12 11:10 AM
    Amuses me to no end that you actually seem to believe this!
    Believe what? that Iphones are flashy or that bb does not get things done? lol
    10-31-12 11:13 AM
    I think we see Blackberry's in some shows because of stereotypes that come along with Blackberry.

Usually a Blackberry user is seen as a strictly business, no nonsense kind of (wo)man.
    10-31-12 12:28 PM
    I think we see Blackberry's in some shows because of stereotypes that come along with Blackberry.

Usually a Blackberry user is seen as a strictly business, no nonsense kind of (wo)man.
    You are dead on! Totally agree.
    10-31-12 12:36 PM

If you want to get techincal about the no nonsense TV character, I've mentioned two characters who both use iPhones. Olivia Benson on Law and Order and Finn (Ice T's character) both use iPhones and both are "serious" characters who are strictly business no nonsense.

On the other hand, Michael Westen from Burn Notice has used varying BB phones since his Pearl phone in season 1 or 2. He could be considered a no nonsense tough serious character.

To be fair and to counter the no nonsense statement, don't the Kardashians use BBs also? They're far from serious or no nonsense people. If they were on fire and I had water, I'd drink it.

As for the others using iPhones, there are plenty of no nonsense characters on TV who use iPhones.
    10-31-12 02:09 PM
    In the show Scandal, Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington) uses a white Blackberry too. Its kind of her signature. But while watching the show, I always see people on twitter with comments like, "Why is she using a Blackberry", or "I like Olivia but she has to get rid of that old Blackberry"

I find it odd that people question the character's use of Blackberry, especially considering she works for the government and TOP SECRET cases. I was pretty sure Blackberry wasn't sponsoring (EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOULD) this show because they called it a Blueberry

Her phone makes an appearance in every episode and every scene because she's the star of the show.

Attachment 124249

Attachment 124250

Attachment 124251
    Top secret communications would not go via BB. Quick trip out the door with a box in your hand and a clean desk behind you.
    10-31-12 02:19 PM
    If you want to get techincal about the no nonsense TV character, I've mentioned two characters who both use iPhones. Olivia Benson on Law and Order and Finn (Ice T's character) both use iPhones and both are "serious" characters who are strictly business no nonsense.

On the other hand, Michael Westen from Burn Notice has used varying BB phones since his Pearl phone in season 1 or 2. He could be considered a no nonsense tough serious character.

To be fair and to counter the no nonsense statement, don't the Kardashians use BBs also? They're far from serious or no nonsense people. If they were on fire and I had water, I'd drink it.

As for the others using iPhones, there are plenty of no nonsense characters on TV who use iPhones.
    On Law and Order everybody used Blackberry's at one point. But with that show, they like to show progression and incorporate current things (Twitter, Facebook, iPhones, iPads)

The Kardashians use BB too but thats a reality show. A lot of reality show people carry Blackberry's and I believe theyre issued by the show sometimes. (Not the Kardashians though)

Most of the characters who carry Blackberry's on television series these days usually work for the government or are some super business person. Usually its some stereotypical person of power wearing a suit and tie.
    10-31-12 02:21 PM
    Seriously with the iPhone toy comments still? They never end. People really need to evolve.

Two thoughts:
    1) Product placement - producers receive funding through the use of certain devices in their shows.
    2) Character congruity - if a producer wants a character to be believable then that character needs to use props that are true to the character's situation. Therefore Homeland would be correct in having actors use BB, since DHS gives out BBs to staff....ICE a new exception. Additionally, characters who are more closely linked to the entertainment industry, for example, would be more correctly shown using iPhones or Androids.

The last movie where I noticed phones was Outbreak....I think that's what it was called. CDC staff used BB but the kids in the movie used iPhones. Completely believable to me since I now see more kids on the Metro using iPhones than I did before, and appear to be fast approaching the hordes who used BB.
    10-31-12 02:31 PM
    Seriously with the iPhone toy comments still? They never end. People really need to evolve.

Two thoughts:
    1) Product placement - producers receive funding through the use of certain devices in their shows.
    2) Character congruity - if a producer wants a character to be believable then that character needs to use props that are true to the character's situation. Therefore Homeland would be correct in having actors use BB, since DHS gives out BBs to staff....ICE a new exception. Additionally, characters who are more closely linked to the entertainment industry, for example, would be more correctly shown using iPhones or Androids.
    I completely agree. Especially product placement. In addition to staying current, I also think Law and Order uses iPhones because of product placement. They make sure the logo is displayed and they have incorporated iPads (like many police officers) into their work.
    10-31-12 02:39 PM
39 12