I've noticed a trend on some TV shows lately here in the US. A lot of them tend to use Blackberrys. I find that odd since the media continues to bash RIM. So why do these show continue to use Bolds, curves etc. Shows like "Boss", "Homeland", "Newsroom", "Strikeback" all show off BB phones. Just curious is it cheaper to use BB's on TV vs an Iphone? Maybe Apple charges big fees for showing their phones on tv and RIM allows TV shows to use it for cheap? Or maybe TV shows just plain recognize BB's are tools and not toys? lol. Any thoughts?
    10-30-12 01:50 PM
    I think it's because of what we know already.

A phyiscal keyboard, push email, LED notifications and BBM are much more effective for communication than fart apps or Angry Turds.

The people that work in television rarely have time to watch it, principally because they're too busy actually doing stuff.
    10-30-12 02:01 PM
    It's probably to show something close to reality. I don't know "Boss", but the other shows you mentionned are about national security ("Homeland", "Strikeback") or media types ("Newsroom") and both these groups actually use BlackBerry devices in reality.

A phyiscal keyboard, push email, LED notifications and BBM are much more effective for communication than fart apps or Angry Turds.
    What is your thought process about these same apps coming to BB10? Angry Birds already exists on the PlayBook, so you have to believe it'll be on BB10 too.
    I was just wondering as it seems strange that BlackBerry has lost a lot of marketshare (especially) in the US because of not having these apps, yet from what you've written, you seem to think that it is some kind of a bad thing to have them.... yet BB10 will have them.

Si.
    10-30-12 02:20 PM
    3 of the 4 shows you mentioned are government/military so no surprise there considering a very very large number of government agencies use BB's for security. The 4th show you mentioned, Newsroom, was based around a timeframe about 2 years ago. Back then BB's were still quite popular among a lot of people, especially industries like television and news.
    I always love seeing BB's in TV shows because I think it's great product placement and BB's have always been represented very in TV and Movies. However, I see way more iPhone's in popular sitcom TV shows like Big Bang, HIMYM, etc. so I don't think it has anything to do with cost but more so a reflection of the type of character that would likely being a specific type of smartphone (i.e. teenagers, 20-30 year olds using iPhones, government/military/police using BB's)
    10-30-12 02:28 PM
    It's probably to show something close to reality. I don't know "Boss", but the other shows you mentionned are about national security ("Homeland", "Strikeback") or media types ("Newsroom") and both these groups actually use BlackBerry devices in reality.

What is your thought process about these same apps coming to BB10? Angry Birds already exists on the PlayBook, so you have to believe it'll be on BB10 too.
    I was just wondering as it seems strange that BlackBerry has lost a lot of marketshare (especially) in the US because of not having these apps, yet from what you've written, you seem to think that it is some kind of a bad thing to have them.... yet BB10 will have them.

Si.
    Makes a lot of sense when you are talking about reality. But in reality they make it seem no one wants to use BB's anymore. Personnally i am glad TV shows are showing them off. keep in mind RIM has not released a new phone since 2011!
    10-30-12 02:30 PM
    BlackBerry was once the preferred phone of the Hollywood types. My guess is a lot of folks in that industry still carry BlackBerrys and also have iPhones. Perhaps a lot of them still have BBM contacts within the industry and with all the papparazi phone hacking things that have gone on, they figure using BBM is better. Who knows.
    10-30-12 02:32 PM
    This is more straight forward than any of those answers - if you see the same model or brand of phones used over and over on a show then it's either because a) the OEM is providing them or b) it's paid product placement either from a carrier or the OEMs.

You see it over all the place, this is a particularly terrible example (see also the recent fun video for "we are young):

richardat and Roo Zilla like this.
    10-30-12 02:42 PM
    This is more straight forward than any of those answers - if you see the same model or brand of phones used over and over on a show then it's either because a) the OEM is providing them or b) it's paid product placement either from a carrier or the OEMs.

You see it over all the place, this is a particularly terrible example (see also the recent fun video for "we are young):

Honestly the blackerry ones are not nearly as bad as this one. It just shows people using the phone etc
    10-30-12 03:39 PM
    blackberry and iphones are recognizable phones. they are distinct.

all other android phones look the same during quick glances.
    10-30-12 04:23 PM
    Blackberrys are distinctive. Most other phones look the same. You can't tell one from the other. Too bad BB's seem to be headed that way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-30-12 04:27 PM
    Honestly the blackerry ones are not nearly as bad as this one. It just shows people using the phone etc
    I cannot imagine how it possibly could be...."hey, rim it!" (camera pans in on extreme close-up, protracted shot of phone operation....LOL)
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    10-30-12 05:08 PM
    Everyone on Louie seems to use a Blackberry, too.

At any rate, the iPhone is totally ubiquitous on television and in movies. There are also still a ton of flip phones on TV, I notice, and not just as burners for drug dealers to use.
    10-30-12 06:49 PM
    Lol @ the flip phones. Very true.
    10-30-12 07:13 PM
    3 of the 4 shows you mentioned are government/military so no surprise there considering a very very large number of government agencies use BB's for security. The 4th show you mentioned, Newsroom, was based around a timeframe about 2 years ago. Back then BB's were still quite popular among a lot of people, especially industries like television and news.
    I always love seeing BB's in TV shows because I think it's great product placement and BB's have always been represented very in TV and Movies. However, I see way more iPhone's in popular sitcom TV shows like Big Bang, HIMYM, etc. so I don't think it has anything to do with cost but more so a reflection of the type of character that would likely being a specific type of smartphone (i.e. teenagers, 20-30 year olds using iPhones, government/military/police using BB's)
    I agree. It just shows there is stil a big level of respect for blackberry phones. I typically see them on premium channels and not on standard sitcom channels
    10-30-12 07:20 PM
    In the show Scandal, Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington) uses a white Blackberry too. Its kind of her signature. But while watching the show, I always see people on twitter with comments like, "Why is she using a Blackberry", or "I like Olivia but she has to get rid of that old Blackberry"

I find it odd that people question the character's use of Blackberry, especially considering she works for the government and TOP SECRET cases. I was pretty sure Blackberry wasn't sponsoring (EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOULD) this show because they called it a Blueberry

Her phone makes an appearance in every episode and every scene because she's the star of the show.

Serious TV shows choose BLACKBERRY!-tumblr_mcasq5amri1rw6xlno1_1280.jpg

Serious TV shows choose BLACKBERRY!-scandal-abc-season-2-premiere-white-hats-off-2-550x366.jpg

Serious TV shows choose BLACKBERRY!-olivia-pope-cellphone-fitz-connection-beltway-unbuckled.jpg
    10-30-12 08:29 PM
    Keeping up with the Kardashians always promotes blackberry, you always see them with their blackberries rarley with their iphones
    10-30-12 09:05 PM
    In the show Scandal, Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington) uses a white Blackberry too. Its kind of her signature. But while watching the show, I always see people on twitter with comments like, "Why is she using a Blackberry", or "I like Olivia but she has to get rid of that old Blackberry"

I find it odd that people question the character's use of Blackberry, especially considering she works for the government and TOP SECRET cases. I was pretty sure Blackberry wasn't sponsoring (EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOULD) this show because they called it a Blueberry

Her phone makes an appearance in every episode and every scene because she's the star of the show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mcasq5aMrI1rw6xlno1_1280.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	124249

Name:	Scandal-ABC-Season-2-Premiere-White-Hats-Off-2-550x366.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	124250

Name:	olivia-pope-cellphone-fitz-connection-beltway-unbuckled.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	124251
    Wow..totally forgot about Scandal. A damn good show btw. I find it funny that people hate on her using a blackberry. Whether people like it or not people that "do" use blackberry phones. They make it seem like if you are not using an Iphone or an andriod phone everyother phone including blackberry's are garbage. I really can't wait for RIM to bounce back. Just really tired of the pathetic perception out there. I've had a blackberry fromm the 7000 series to my current 9900. Looking forward to the N or L series phone. Can't wait!!!!
    10-30-12 09:14 PM
    American Horror Story last year had BlackBerrys. A Pearl and a Bold 9000.

This year it is set in a time before mobile phones though. No phone placement opportunities. Lol.

10-30-12 09:26 PM
    it's not a secret.

Hollywood loves the underdogs. watch any hollywood movies, most of the product placements are underdogs products.

even motorola gets airtime.
    what can we expect of a blackberry.

#blackberry by choice. Sent from my 9800 non-slide slider.
    10-30-12 09:35 PM
    American Horror Story last year had BlackBerrys. A Pearl and a Bold 9000.

This year it is set in a time before mobile phones though. No phone placement opportunities. Lol.

Yet another show....Nice.
    10-30-12 10:22 PM
    I do remember a few shows using BlackBerry devices. White Collar for one, Peter carries a bold 9900, while Neil an iPhone/Torch 9810. FBI using BB made sense imo. That's all there is to it, it was never intentionally displayed. Some shows however does make it quite obvious its a product placement. Vampire Diaries for example shows Android phones in a very very obvious manner. Normally when someone is calling without a contact photo, it shows Llyod (those who don't know, i meant the green android mascot). Then there Perception, which uses Lumia 800. Hawaii five-o as well uses a lot of Lumia 900. Then there's 666 Park Avenue which in its last episode showed a Lumia 800 prominently, though with the windows logo blacked out. Well, I wouldn't really read too much into it. Just buy what fit your needs best.
    10-30-12 10:31 PM
    The 9900 made a appearance in the last episode of Revenge. Conrad and Victoria were using them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-31-12 12:09 AM
    Community chooses BlackBerry too.
    10-31-12 12:22 AM

This is subjective.
    My wife is currently thousands of miles away from me. Primary means of communication is via Skype. I call her, and get to see her and my baby.
    My BBOS7 device and my Playbook do not support Skype. My SGS III and iPad do. Ergo, for my scenario, my Blackberry devices are the inferior communication devices.

I'll take a front facing camera and an ubiquitous video chat client over the physical keyboard right now. Many Flagship Android phones already come with a notification light and WhatsApp is a very viable alternative

Always good to remember that video chats are also filed under 'communication'
    10-31-12 04:05 AM
    That's because TV shows are realistic about everyday usage of smartphones. iPhones are flashy devices that gets no work done. It's the BB that get's things done.

Yes, BB still has its fallbacks (like the previous poster mentioning Skype). But this is just one shortcoming compared to so many advantages of the BB. But then again, I wouldn't compromise my security (I work in a security related firm) over the convenience of Skype anytime. I believe this is just personal preference which comes down to each persons usage patterns and requirements.
    fbf2012 and toneytone like this.
    10-31-12 04:15 AM
39 12