Have had the Pearl, for a few days now. The boot time appears to be quite 'long', by any standards.

My first guess would be that system memory is involved. Looking at my status, and only having Yahoo! installed, I see that I only have ~15MB of system memory left out of 64MB.

I guess this all depends on how this OS loads. Does it rely on system memory, and swap etc... as it loads?

This leads me to my question: Has anyone bothered to edit out every language call (other than the language you use, of course) in the blackberry.alx file to see how this affects boot time?

I started working on this, however, it's fairly long and tedious. There appear to be over 10000 calls for Language qualifiers and files.

Would 'not' loading all of this unused crap make a difference? (rhetorical question)
    12-10-07 12:34 AM
    if you remove the languages from the desktop manager theirs no reason to edit your blackberry.alx file, the languages wont be loaded anyways therefore the bb.alx does not even look for them, the more crap you have on your BB the longer it will take too reboot of course, sounds too me like your trying to make a situation more complicated then what it is by editing and looking at any of the BB internal files anyways, the BB.alx really onl has one purpose and thats to determine what should be loaded, but whatever options you remove in desktop manager are neglected in the loading of the BB.alx anyways, so that slows nothing down, other then editing the carrier themes, the bb.alx serves no outside purpose, that cant be dealt with within BlackBerry dekstop manager...another question is why the heck you booting your berry so much anyways? ....lol I leave mine on for weeks at a time no problem.
    12-10-07 02:15 AM
    if you remove the languages from the desktop manager theirs no reason to edit your blackberry.alx file, the languages wont be loaded anyways therefore the bb.alx does not even look for them, the more crap you have on your BB the longer it will take too reboot of course, sounds too me like your trying to make a situation more complicated then what it is by editing and looking at any of the BB internal files anyways, the BB.alx really onl has one purpose and thats to determine what should be loaded, but whatever options you remove in desktop manager are neglected in the loading of the BB.alx anyways, so that slows nothing down, other then editing the carrier themes, the bb.alx serves no outside purpose, that cant be dealt with within BlackBerry dekstop manager...another question is why the heck you booting your berry so much anyways? ....lol I leave mine on for weeks at a time no problem.
    Well, once I have the phone (well, it's going back for the Curve anyway) setup, I probably will only rarely have to reboot it. But, for now, I've been doing a lot of stuff through DTM and it reboots the phone sometimes

Do you know if the SD card memory gets used when the BB boots? I'm imagining that the Curve is going to have a similar boot time. I won't know until later this week, though.
    12-11-07 01:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD