I just read an article about a 20 year old woman in North Dakota charged with manslaughter because she rear ended and killed an elderly woman because she was looking at pictures on Facebook while driving her SUV!!!!!

I don't text and drive, but I see folks doing this all the time while I an driving. I will say something to them if I see them not paying attention to the road, but most of the time they just give you the " I don't give a ****" look and drive away.

This is serious stuff folks and law enforcement needs to step it up and fine these idiots where it hurts the worse, their wallets. Just thought I would make folks aware of this serious problem.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1130)
    09-05-14 05:27 AM
    I agree! More deaths have been caused on our roads by text-drivers than people under the influence of marijuana!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 05:34 AM
    Thanks for reminding people. This has become a huge problem. Checking Facebook or a text isn't worth hurting yourself or someone else. Also, look for motorcycles! I got my first motorcycle this year and now I'm much more aware of bad/distracted drivers. What would be a minor car accident can easily be a fatal motorcycle accident. These days I never check my phone when I'm driving a car. It can wait until I get to where I am going. Be safe.
    kbz1960 and user5240 like this.
    09-05-14 06:12 AM
    I was stopped at a red light and was hit from behind by a pickup truck whose driver hadn't noticed that the light was red. I saw the driver fast approaching in my rear view mirror at the last moment,. The impact kicked me into a four way intersection. The first witness on the scene said, she (the driver), had 2 phones, one in her had and the other next to her, she apologized and admitted she was on the phone, until police arrived.
    Everyone does it, or has done it. Unfortunately people are getting killed.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 06:16 AM
    Totally agree ,lets see how long it will take in this thread for some a$$hole to ad his 2 cents and say how it is not illegal in his state (or country) and as long as your careful there is nothing wrong with multi tasking while driving...they'll claim they've been doing it for years without an incident and then they'll compare it with others that eat, drink and read the newspaper or something else while driving as well.....

Posted via CB10 with my z30
    09-05-14 06:24 AM
    Thanks for reminding people. This has become a huge problem. Checking Facebook or a text isn't worth hurting yourself or someone else. Also, look for motorcycles! I got my first motorcycle this year and now I'm much more aware of bad/distracted drivers. What would be a minor car accident can easily be a fatal motorcycle accident. These days I never check my phone when I'm driving a car. It can wait until I get to where I am going. Be safe.
    I have been a motorcyclist for 40 years and have logged 350,000 mile's touring this great land and our Canadian neighbors too on two wheels. I am a very defensive and cautious driver, too many folks out there who are multi tasking while driving and not paying attention to the road.

That's why I never get on my motorcycle without a helmet or body protection. I don't believe in the helmet laws, but I choose to wear mine. I have been that way for 40 years and not going to change now.

MmmHmm, Thunderbuck and moody like this.
    09-05-14 06:46 AM
    I think more than wallets should be hit. Driving suspensions should be automatic. 24 hours, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year etc, as one climbs the ladder of chances to the grail of stupidity. Driving is a serious task. You are in control of a 5000 lb mass of steel barreling down the road. Too many people think it's just like watching TV!

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 07:49 AM
    In Ontario, the fine for distracted driving will soon go up to $1000 from the current $280, and get you 3 demerit points (which affect your driving record and insurance premium). I have to confess - I do check my phone when I'm stopped at a red light - but with the new fine, the phone will become completely off limits in my car.

I still remember back in the 1980's, when even voice mail wasn't commonplace, people would choose to be unreachable by leaving the desk from time to time. The new penalties will make that possible again, and we all will need to accept that we can't just call or email someone and get an immediate response.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 08:17 AM
    What gets me is that folks spend so much money on phones but they can't spend $100 on a bluetooth. So if you REALLY have to communicate with someone, and can't wait I till you reach ur destination.....cant you at least call them instead of texting??

misterabrasive likes this.
    09-05-14 08:20 AM
    I'm going to up it up a notch here.
    I'm a strong believer that texting and driving is equally dangerous as drinking and driving.
    I also believe that of you make the conscious/unconscious decision to do so, and hurt someone you deserve to die.

http://rt.com/usa/183508-texas-barajas-banda-verdict/

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    nglfmark likes this.
    09-05-14 10:12 AM
    I think when you get behind the wheel the ONLY thing you should be doing is driving. Not texting, drinking, eating, putting on make up...
    No need to be "multi tasking" while you drive. Definitely not the time and place for that. As stated in previous posts, you are risking your OWN life, but, most importantly, if you don't CARE about YOUR life.....the life of others, your kids....etc.

09-05-14 10:16 AM
    I have been a motorcyclist for 40 years and have logged 350,000 mile's touring this great land and our Canadian neighbors too on two wheels. I am a very defensive and cautious driver, too many folks out there who are multi tasking while driving and not paying attention to the road.

That's why I never get on my motorcycle without a helmet or body protection. I don't believe in the helmet laws, but I choose to wear mine. I have been that way for 40 years and not going to change now.

Tbh, how can you not believe in helmet laws? I live in Germany where this is law and most motorcyclists here even wear professional full body racing suits and even those guys get killed in accidents fairly quickly. If I'd see someone riding a 180 hp bike not wearing a helmet, or any motorcycle for that matter, I'd think he must be insane. But to be fair, in Germany we have much narrower and curvier streets as well as looser speed limits.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 10:44 AM
    Tbh, how can you not believe in helmet laws? I live in Germany where this is law and most motorcyclists here even wear professional full body racing suits and even those guys get killed in accidents fairly quickly. If I'd see someone riding a 180 hp bike not wearing a helmet, or any motorcycle for that matter, I'd think he must be insane. But to be fair, in Germany we have much narrower and curvier streets as well as looser speed limits.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, helmets save lives.

It's risky enough being a biker anyway as many car-drivers fail to see us and, even if the Volvo drivers don't get us (biker in-joke), the protection you gain from wearing a helmet if you simply fall off or hit something could easily save your life. I also always wear leathers after an acquaintance showed me his hands and legs after he slid down the tarmac after coming off while wearing t-shirt and shorts and without gloves... it's apparently instinctive to put your hands out when you fall... imagine taking a surform to your flesh, and you'll get the picture. It certainly focuses your mind as to the importance of protective gear.

Back on topic, here in the UK even holding a mobile phone while in the driver's seat with the engine running will get you points on your licence and a fine - you must be handsfree. There have been reports of guys being booked even when pulled-over off the highway - if the engine's running, you can't legally use the phone. As to texting, etc, you'll likely go to prison if an accident occurs while texting... and you'll definitely go to prison if anyone dies in that accident. Sadly, it doesn't seem to stop people and most months have at least one "fatal accident caused by driver inattention through phone use" story in the newspapers.

Slightly off topic: Almost unbelievably, a famous UK comic was recently pulled over by the police because he was photographed reading a newspaper while driving! No accidents fortunately, but he was fined heavily and the points put on his licence meant he lost it.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-05-14 at 12:11 PM.
    09-05-14 11:54 AM
    I think we need much tougher penalties here in the US. There are states that ban the use of cell phones but you see drivers all the time using them. I kid around with my 12 year old that I'd like to make a sign and every time he sees someone with a phone to put it out the window....something like "get off the phone and drive dumbass"!!...

shaleem and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    09-05-14 12:02 PM
    I'm a strong believer that texting and driving is equally dangerous as drinking and driving.
    I also believe that of you make the conscious/unconscious decision to do so, and hurt someone you deserve to die.

No need to be a strong believer. It is factual that fatal accidents due to cellular use has surpassed that of drinking and driving in Canada. It's also factual that your chances of being killed by a drunk driver increase as night falls and we head towards the early hours of the morning. However, drug use is only starting to be tracked here in North American. Of all fatal car crashes, the number has broke over 33 percent which is consistent through the day. Ie drug use is a 24/7 passion for some folks. Anyhow, this shows how much of a problem cell phones have come to be while driving.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 12:04 PM

Woa Take it easy.. We all make mistakes, some worst than others. The difference is that while the person made a MISTAKE (although terrible one), you are CHOOSING to kill somebody. I know people who text and drive and I'm sure you do too, and they are great people. Killing more people doesn't solve anything. Are you sane man?
    09-05-14 12:56 PM
    I don't believe in the helmet laws, but I choose to wear mine.
    Glad you use a helmet. As someone who knows a man that got peeled alive because he wasn't wearing leathers, it is a bad way to go. I specialize in treating traumatic brain injury. Trust me, your head is an egg shell. Unless a person is so independently wealthy they won't have to ask me, the tax payer, to pay someone to feed them and change their diapers if they get in an accident, helmets should be required. Same for seat-belts.

On topic, many states have recently or are in the process of passing stiff penalties for what is now termed "distracted driving." Even manslaughter or criminal endangerment charges. The fact is, our brains do not truly multitask. People too often judge their ability by how things go if nothing unexpected happens. A very young child could manage driving if all goes well; it takes experience to manage the sudden cat in the road or the car that cuts you off. If we are texting or in the middle of a hamburger at the moment, we and everyone around us is doomed. Suddenly it doesn't matter how many times you "got away with it" before.
    misterabrasive likes this.
    09-05-14 01:10 PM
    Woa Take it easy.. We all make mistakes, some worst than others. The difference is that while the person made a MISTAKE (although terrible one), you are CHOOSING to kill somebody. I know people who text and drive and I'm sure you do too, and they are great people. Killing more people doesn't solve anything. Are you sane man?
    I agree and disagree. Your comment is right on. Yet, this is WAY more than a "mistake." It is a conscious choice. I don't see the difference between distracted and impaired driving, in most cases. It is pretty synonymous with randomly firing a pistol out your car window without looking while driving. You probably wont hit anyone, right? But if you do, is it an "accident" or "mistake?" I think too often we tend to underreact as well as overreact. I'll tell you, it is pretty tragic to watch some absolutely promising, great kid deteriorate after killing someone while answering a text to their friend.

A couple of years ago I saw police pulling over people on their phones in Utah. They were video taping up the road, then pulling them over. They were actually giving warnings to alert people before the tough new laws went into effect. Now kids learn about this in drivers training. We all used to sneak a peek, but there is an expectation we are being shaped by the new reality and educational campaigns. The hardest one to change are adolescents without fully formed brains and drivers under the influence.
    09-05-14 01:24 PM
    Conversing on cellphone (handsfree or not) while driving; 4x increase crash risk.

Texting while driving: ~20x increase crash risk.
    I ask my students whether they'd drive with their eyes shut for 3 seconds.
    Usually get a resounding NO.

I follow up by asking them to consider how long it takes to read a text.. "approximately 3 to 5 seconds"

Throw in vehicle speed of 30 mph, in a kid zone.... and they get the point.

The difficulty is convincing them that they're no better than the person beside them.

Be safe out there.

Posted via CB10
    ArcPlug likes this.
    09-05-14 01:36 PM
    Glad you use a helmet. As someone who knows a man that got peeled alive because he wasn't wearing leathers, it is a bad way to go. I specialize in treating traumatic brain injury. Trust me, your head is an egg shell. Unless a person is so independently wealthy they won't have to ask me, the tax payer, to pay someone to feed them and change their diapers if they get in an accident, helmets should be required. Same for seat-belts.

On topic, many states have recently or are in the process of passing stiff penalties for what is now termed "distracted driving." Even manslaughter or criminal endangerment charges. The fact is, our brains do not truly multitask. People too often judge their ability by how things go if nothing unexpected happens. A very young child could manage driving if all goes well; it takes experience to manage the sudden cat in the road or the car that cuts you off. If we are texting or in the middle of a hamburger at the moment, we and everyone around us is doomed. Suddenly it doesn't matter how many times you "got away with it" before.
    The part about dealing with the unexpected is so true. In my job as a Locomotive Engineer, I have to train newly promoted people and one of the most important things I try to impart on them is when everything is running smoothly, anyone can run a Locomotive. It's learning how to deal with adversity and what to do when something goes wrong, that you become an Engineer. We have to deal with distracted drivers every day. I see people texting and then slamming on the brakes when they realize that those flashing red lights and the red and white gate across their path means a train is coming or, usually, already there. Sometimes they are able to stop... sometimes they aren't. It's just not worth it, folks.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    09-05-14 02:11 PM
    What gets me is that folks spend so much money on phones but they can't spend $100 on a bluetooth. So if you REALLY have to communicate with someone, and can't wait I till you reach ur destination.....cant you at least call them instead of texting??

No, what's even worse is they're holding their phones when there's Bluetooth built into the car! I see it every day.
    hpjrt, shaleem and alternator77 like this.
    09-05-14 02:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    I not being rude here, but the right to choose is taken very seriously in our country and we cherish the freedom to do so. I have been to Germany many times, both on business, pleasure and while I was in the military back in the day. It's one of my favorite countries in Europe.

The German people pride themselves on being good drivers and take driving seriously. I wish we did the same in our country. One of the issues here in the USA and some other countries is that people have very little time and multi task everything they do to stay ahead of the curve.

I hate the way this has changed our country,but we still need tougher laws for texting, using cell phones, eating you food and other things that are a distraction when your driving.

I always tell my young nieces and nephews that when you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, you have a huge responsibility when you are driving on the road.

You have a 5,000 pound weapon that if not driven properly, is no different then taking a loaded gun, pointing it at someone and pulling the trigger, that's just how I feel.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    Last edited by bakron1; 09-05-14 at 05:53 PM.
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    09-05-14 02:23 PM
    I agree! More deaths have been caused on our roads by text-drivers than people under the influence of marijuana!

Posted via CB10
    It is a form of "under the influence"

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    09-05-14 02:25 PM
    To people that can't resist the urge of picking up the phone while driving, just leave it in your car trunk before you get on the road. Problem solved.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    09-05-14 02:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    You could put anything there and the sentence would still be true

Check Out TechCraze
    09-05-14 02:44 PM
114 123 ...