I just read an article about a 20 year old woman in North Dakota charged with manslaughter because she rear ended and killed an elderly woman because she was looking at pictures on Facebook while driving her SUV!!!!!

I don't text and drive, but I see folks doing this all the time while I an driving. I will say something to them if I see them not paying attention to the road, but most of the time they just give you the " I don't give a ****" look and drive away.

This is serious stuff folks and law enforcement needs to step it up and fine these idiots where it hurts the worse, their wallets. Just thought I would make folks aware of this serious problem.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1130)

I always POWER HONK, when I see those pathetic zombies checking their "selfies" or facebook, etc. Can't understand why phoning and driving! It is dangerous and I know no mercy. I POWER HONK and say something to them!
    12-10-14 06:52 AM
    I believe since mobiles phones, driving and being near cars is more dangerous. You may be a defensive driver and law abiding but you cannot control those "others" using the same roads. Only takes one ***** who is preoccupied with their phone and anything can happen.

I have been saying to friends, it would be good if somehow once inside a vehicle, all phone signals could be blocked, then there would be no mobile phone distractions or temptation to check whatsapp, sms facebook, emails etc.

30mins, 1 hour, 2 hours without a phone is bearable and could mean a safer driving experience for all.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    12-10-14 06:59 AM
    I have a hard enough time focusing on all of the things I need to do just to keep the car straight and not hit anything or anyone. I can't imagine picking up and using my phone while driving!

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    12-10-14 07:02 AM
    This is where I respect when state or police charge you with with 800 Bucks/Euros! I would sign that! Hell, make it 1,500 Euros! I would get out the car, and lough out VERY loudm when someone is getting caught with that! I see so many people using their mobile, and trying to switch lanes! Sometimes, I dream into running into them just to show them a lesson!
    12-10-14 07:03 AM
    I have a hard enough time focusing on all of the things I need to do just to keep the car straight and not hit anything or anyone. I can't imagine picking up and using my phone while driving!

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport

I have exactly the same feeling now! I have the feeling that I am getting older. In my first 5 years of my drivers license, I drove like a champ. With music and stuff. Never phones, but I drove like a gem.

Nowadays I focus hard on not hitting one, keeping distance in front of the driver, bycyles, trespassers, etc. It really is harder when you getting older. So, I can't imagine also, how someone getting concentrate on the road and "chitchatting" about some bullS*** on the phone.
    12-10-14 07:06 AM
    It is illegal and a criminal offence, for a person to use their mobile phone (for anything) while driving a motor vehicle in the UK.
    People have been fined, sent to prison, lost their licence etc etc. Not sure why this isn't the Law in all countries.

Posted via CB10
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    12-15-14 10:36 AM
    It is illegal and a criminal offence, for a person to use their mobile phone (for anything) while driving a motor vehicle in the UK.
    People have been fined, sent to prison, lost their licence etc etc. Not sure why this isn't the Law in all countries.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's illegal to hold it in your hand, you can do whatever you want (not that you should) if the phone is in a proper cradle in the dashboard.

Interestingly, if you're parked but the engine is still running it's still illegal to hold a mobile phone.

It's not what you do with it that's illegal, simply holding the phone in your hand is illegal, before you even think of using it.
    12-15-14 11:16 AM
    Ya know, ever since I fell over this thread - thanks to OP - I have been asking people, even if it's work-related and I'm on deadline: Are you driving? If they say yes, I reply - how about we continue this interview (or conversation) when you get where you're going? I don't care to encourage distracted driving. The responses are very gratifying. People say, Oh, but - and I say, it takes only a split second for something to go very wrong and I do not wish to be the reason why you were not paying full attention to driving. Response - Oh, well, that's very thoughtful. Okay. and we ring off. Now, I can't guarantee that they aren't back to talking and/or texting with someone else, but I'm taking this policy. I have a new friend, a few weeks ago was just another new story subject - who replied to text and told me she was driving but she would check that email when she got where she was going. I RANG HER BACK and it went to VM, so I said: Stop texting while you drive! This story is NOT as important as you getting where you are going. Here is her reply - texted, and I quote: "Heard your message. : )) I was stopped. And am now. Listening to kids hit each other, cough and laugh. : )) thank you for caring... Need a driver and a drink... X"

So, yes, laws matter but even more than the law is the fact that we have a responsibility to live long and be happy - why play chicken with our mortality? Life is too short as it is. Live long - the calls can wait. Business can wait. Just think and pull over someplace safe if it's that important. Just get where you are going safely.
    Wishing everyone a lovely joy-filled peaceful Christmas!
    If that's not your gig, Happy Everything!
    misterabrasive and nglfmark like this.
    12-19-14 10:09 PM
    OMG - just watched the video at the bottom of p4 - taken by people in a vehicle in heavy traffic - showing a motorcycle driver leaning back texting and steering with his feet!!! Now, there are a bunch of reasons why that is crazy, irresponsible and eventually will bite that bad boy's **** BUT not one vehicle shows a direction indicator (turn signal) while changing lanes AND they do it with what looks like centimeters to spare! One of my biggest complaints about drivers is not signaling a turn or lane change - you'd think it costs petrol to signal! Re the texting motorcycle driver - omg, words fail me!
    12-28-14 08:52 AM
    No, it's illegal to hold it in your hand, you can do whatever you want (not that you should) if the phone is in a proper cradle in the dashboard.

Interestingly, if you're parked but the engine is still running it's still illegal to hold a mobile phone.

It's not what you do with it that's illegal, simply holding the phone in your hand is illegal, before you even think of using it.
    So it's illegal to use a mobile while driving then.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 09:47 AM
    So it's illegal to use a mobile while driving then.

Posted via CB10
    No it's not, it's illegal to use it in your hand, if it's fixed in a cradle it's legal.
    12-28-14 10:03 AM
    Just to make it clear, in UK at least, the act of holding a phone in your hand is the illegal part, even if you don't actually use it, say just use it to scratch your head, it's still illegal.

If the engine is on and the phone in your hand you're breaking the law long before you press a button.
    12-28-14 11:05 AM
    I have been saying to friends, it would be good if somehow once inside a vehicle, all phone signals could be blocked, then there would be no mobile phone distractions or temptation to check whatsapp, sms facebook, emails etc.
    I agree with the sentiment, but there are still some signals one needs when driving, like GPS and severe weather broadcasts. I know there are some apps and built in car modes that disable most apps from being launched when traveling at a certain speed (as to not interfere when the user is just briskly walking). I wish those were mandatory.
    nglfmark likes this.
    12-28-14 11:27 AM
    I agree with the sentiment, but there are still some signals one needs when driving, like GPS and severe weather broadcasts. I know there are some apps and built in car modes that disable most apps from being launched when traveling at a certain speed (as to not interfere when the user is just briskly walking). I wish those were mandatory.
    Yup. Something similar to a breathalyzer interlock system for individuals who have DUIs. Only this time it's for individuals who get ticketed for distracted driving.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 08:13 PM
114 ... 345