I need to send a whistle blower type email to our company's HR department. I know that from my PC I cannot send a truly anonymous email. ( i"m not looking to turn this into a thread on how to hide/anonomize emails)

I don't want to start with anonymous proxy stuff. Creating a temp/false email is good enough for me, but if I send it from my home PC they can easily track the town it came from.

So I was thinking I'd just send it from my hotmail account from my phone.

BUT, If I send it from my phone, and I am not in my home town, how much can their IT department find on my location? I'm okay with them knowing it came from Phoenix, just not my particular suburb.
    Last edited by hal1; 06-13-11 at 08:59 PM.
    06-13-11 08:51 PM
    Go to the library and use a computer there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-13-11 09:26 PM
  3. T
    Library's good advice. Or a Starbucks, Panera, or other place with wifi for your laptop. You could even use one of these places in the town where you work. (In that case, it could be anyone at the company sending it after work as far as ip's are concerned.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 10:38 PM
    Wouldn't sending it from my phone work? How do IP's work when sent from a phone (android)
    06-13-11 10:48 PM
  5. T
    Wouldn't sending it from my phone work? How do IP's work when sent from a phone (android)
    IP's come from the carrier. Mine comes back as issued to RIM and shows the location as Kansas, USA (the location of Sprint). I would think it would offer you the layer of privacy you're looking for, short of your carrier and RIM being issued subpoenas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 11:05 PM
    Yeah, I'm not reporting anything criminal, and don't think that my company would do anything further than just the standard IP locate lookup that anyone can do to see what town it's sent from. But I don't even think they'd go that far. So I just don't want it to come from my particular suburb.
    06-13-11 11:47 PM
    Yeah, I'm not reporting anything criminal, and don't think that my company would do anything further than just the standard IP locate lookup that anyone can do to see what town it's sent from. But I don't even think they'd go that far. So I just don't want it to come from my particular suburb.
    Use a computer at a library in another town, as Motorcyle Mama mentioned. Just create a Gmail account with a fake name.
    06-14-11 01:57 AM
    Tor Project: Anonymity Online should provide what you need and more.
    06-14-11 05:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD