I'm the one who thought she fried her Curve, but alas, the rice bag trick WORKED!

I ordered a replacement in the interim, so I'd like to sell this one -- along with the apps and themes, etc., I had downloaded (I will include the memory card).

Is it possible to do that while still wiping the address book and existing messages? I don't have any privacy concerns; I'm just hoping to sell the phone with the extras and not burden the buyer with my address book.

Anyone done this before?
    12-10-08 03:30 PM
    If you got the replacement from Asurion or VZW Customer Service, you need to send the older one in. It gets blacklisted when you order that replacement device anyway and can't be removed.

If you got the replacement through another avenue and never reported it, then I'd suggest Craig's List or eBay, if one of your friends doesn't want it.
    12-10-08 03:40 PM
    if you got it threw insurance, that is called insurance fraud
    12-10-08 03:48 PM
    I was eligible for an upgrade, so I went that route. Does that also kick in a "blacklist" status? I paid for the new phone and no one said a word about sending it in.

I have an interested buyer through Craigslist. My question isn't about how to sell it, but rather whether I can leave on these supplemental apps and only wipe the address book.

Tomwiz, thanks, but I am quite cognizant about "insurance fraud."
    Last edited by leftcoaster; 12-10-08 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added info
    12-10-08 03:52 PM
    When you go into "wipe handheld" there is a check box for third party apps, just dont check it and the wipe process will leave them on the phone.
    12-10-08 04:00 PM
    When you go into "wipe handheld" there is a check box for third party apps, just dont check it and the wipe process will leave them on the phone.

Excellent. Thanks very much
    12-10-08 04:06 PM
    Careful, any smart buyer will check the water damage sticker first thing. If I bought a phone and the sticker indicated water damage, I'd be super pissed and demand a refund plus shipping fees.
    12-10-08 04:19 PM
    I was eligible for an upgrade, so I went that route. Does that also kick in a "blacklist" status? I paid for the new phone and no one said a word about sending it in.

I have an interested buyer through Craigslist. My question isn't about how to sell it, but rather whether I can leave on these supplemental apps and only wipe the address book.

Tomwiz, thanks, but I am quite cognizant about "insurance fraud."
    Then you're completely alright. Make sure you tell them upfront the phone was water damaged, though. It will lessen the chances of a quick sale but at least you won't have an angry person with your contact information.
    12-10-08 04:27 PM
    That last thing you want is a stranger, particularly a new buyer, having your complete address book.

You can do it one of several ways. The simplest from Options .... / Wipe Handheld. That will clear out off of your personal information.

The other technique requires a Windows computer and the right software, but you can roll it back to "out of the box" condition.
    12-10-08 05:07 PM
    Then you're completely alright. Make sure you tell them upfront the phone was water damaged, though. It will lessen the chances of a quick sale but at least you won't have an angry person with your contact information.
    Yes, I made sure to disclose that -- If it went belly-up, I'd feel terrible. Thanks!
    12-10-08 07:05 PM
    Careful, any smart buyer will check the water damage sticker first thing. If I bought a phone and the sticker indicated water damage, I'd be super pissed and demand a refund plus shipping fees.
    This place makes me smile sometimes. The fun thing about the Internet is that literally everyone can participate -- whether or not they should.
    12-10-08 07:07 PM
    leftcoaster the only thing I would question is the "legality" of
    transferring your software to another user. Most apps state they are
    not transferable. Also, if you wish to have the registration changed
    to your new device you may run into problems. Other than that I
    think you have covered all the other bases.
    12-10-08 07:13 PM
    theres a box that lets you check wiping of 3rd party apps.
    12-10-08 07:47 PM
    Most software licenses are tied to the device/computer. So just like selling/giving a PC to another party with its software intact is completely legal - the same goes for smartphones.

Software registration is mostly a gathering tool for market statistics.

I wouldn't reuse the same license/registration codes on the new device.

As always, when in doubt, contact the company that made the app.
    12-10-08 08:14 PM
    Most software licenses are tied to the device/computer. So just like selling/giving a PC to another party with its software intact is completely legal - the same goes for smartphones.
    Not quite correct. This is where one really needs to read th EULA for the
    specific terms. There are quite a few vendors/developers that prohibit this.
    12-10-08 08:27 PM

That's a good question. It's probably an ethical question as well .. much like selling a PC with software pre-installed. I'll stew on it. Thanks, Grace.
    12-10-08 08:29 PM
    No problem leftcoaster. Not trying to cloud the issue, just trying
    to help you consider all scenarios. Who knows, it may not make
    any difference at all. Just looking out for a fellow CB'er
    12-10-08 08:33 PM
    No problem leftcoaster. Not trying to cloud the issue, just trying
    to help you consider all scenarios. Who knows, it may not make
    any difference at all. Just looking out for a fellow CB'er
    No, it's a great point. Suppose they needed tech support or ??? ... I hadn't thought of it. Tx!!
    12-10-08 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD