Everybody is so clueless about QNX and BlackBerry 10, it would take weeks to educate everybody here on it. Just go to their website and read yourself.
    rarsen likes this.
    01-16-16 01:18 AM
    01-16-16 01:19 AM
    It would be a huge mistake for BlackBerry to sell QNX.
    01-16-16 01:20 AM
    Now I know QNX is going to play a big part in IoT, but as of right now it's all smoke and mirrors, and BlackBerry has never shown they can execute on new trends.
    I agree wholeheartedly that QNX is smoke and mirrors.

IoT is clearly going to be (or should I say already) dominated by Linux and Android because they are popular, free, open source, and versatile. OEMs do not want to use an obscure, proprietary, and expensive OS. Even in automobiles, QNX is likely at risk as more advanced features are added and no company in the tech industry will pay the valuations investors want.

With that said, the smoke and mirrors is the number 1 reason why BBRY will not sell QNX. The fact of the matter is that QNX is a big part of the narrative propping up BBRY stock value. And, regardless of whether QNX is of value or not, no current shareholder would want a company to sell an asset propping up its value.
    01-16-16 06:18 AM
    Here we go again with this hog wash. How many cycle of this garbage must one endure.

The power of the force and the  passport.
    01-16-16 09:03 AM
    Most consumers have no idea why QNX is such a big deal. Both Apple and Google have already committed to integrating with it for auto interfaces, and it's an important component of auto manufacturers' strategy for connected cars. Neither Apple or Google/Android can support IoT without integrating with a secure and efficient code base such as QNX.

But, there's simply no explaining this to people who aren't really interested in how technology works.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 10:24 AM
    Neither Apple or Google/Android can support IoT without integrating with a secure and efficient code base such as QNX.
    Most of the IoT services being offered by Apple and Google have nothing to do with QNX. The reason why most consumers have no idea why QNX is such a big deal is that, even in their own cars, the branding is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Even if they are interested in how technology works, CrackBerry members have to come here to ask if their own vehicle dash systems are sporting QNX or not.
    01-16-16 10:36 AM
    Is BlackBerry the company that can best exploit this technology? Somehow, I don't think the major car companies are looking to lease the brains of their vehicles from another company. They are either going to buy the technology or develop it in-house. Google, of course, has their vehicles driving around already. Apple, according to Elon Musk, has a thousand engineers working on something. Tesla is well on its way, too.

I don't see QNX going much further with self-driving cars with BlackBerry as its parent. It would need to get wedded to some vehicle hardware pretty fast and not just via some licensing agreement.
    Ford dumps Microsoft for QNX, unleashes new functions in Sync v3 | Computerworld

not just self driving cars... smart cars, pretty much anything with phone connectivity will want to use QNX...

then there are smart watches, smart tvs and up to smart homes/offices
    01-16-16 11:50 AM
    Ford dumps Microsoft for QNX, unleashes new functions in Sync v3 | Computerworld

not just self driving cars... smart cars, pretty much anything with phone connectivity will want to use QNX...

then there are smart watches, smart tvs and up to smart homes/offices

But for smart watches there are Android Wear, custom Linux versions, Tizen, Web OS, Windows IoT... Why would a Smart accessory manufacture want to use QNX over the others?
    01-16-16 02:23 PM
    Can't German car manufacturers buy QNX just like they did with NavTeq?
    01-16-16 05:32 PM
    One cannot run a company on that $6 of revenue.
    Where do you get your figures from....?

:-D

(I personally purchased much more than that, and have an ongoing subscription)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    01-16-16 07:20 PM
    One cannot run a company on that $6 of revenue.
    Blackberry does not want or need to run their company on their BB10 revenue. But in weighing the risks and rewards of maintaining BB10, the fact that it generates some money directly Iimits the risk in the worst case scenario. That's an important strategic consideration because it makes it easier to justify continued expenditures on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 01-17-16 at 03:54 AM.
    01-16-16 08:57 PM
    QNX is also big in health industry as well, not just automobiles.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 09:14 PM
    I agree with your point about the BBOS revenue stream, but it's too simple to say that BB10 does not contribute. Many of BlackBerry's biggest enterprise customers were the ones who certified BB10 and deployed it widely. Until those companies and governments transition away from it, BlackBerry will support it, because they also provide them with other services.
    Which is why BB made their "No further BB10 development. Two further OS updates to be focused on security" announcement of a few months ago.

No large adopter of BB10 in government or regulated circles will take that announcement as anything other than BB saying that they're moving BB10 into that sunset phase. Following that BB announcement, any IT Manager who isn't already working on plans to transition away from BB10, is incompetent and deserves to be fired!

BB couldn't have been clearer in giving fair-warning that BB10's EOL is near. BB will not continue to make BB10 devices, at a loss, for the few customers too stupid/stubborn to transition away from BB10. And it doesn't matter how big those customers are, BB's shareholders expect BB to be run as a commercial enterprise that aims to make money. And actually, I believe that those large organisations would be entirely content with BB's "it's just business" approach - because they're hard-nosed realists. It's only here on CB that I regularly read that BB is expected to continue with loss-making BB10 as some kind of public service or charitable enterprise.

Blackberry is unlikely to alienate its most loyal and committed customers.
    In a world where BlackBerry has serially dropped the users of BBOS, Playbook, and now BB10 without even a backward-glance; that part of your post did make me chuckle.
    01-17-16 02:50 AM
    In a world where BlackBerry has serially dropped the users of BBOS, Playbook, and now BB10 without even a backward-glance; that part of your post did make me chuckle.
    BlackBerry has supported the heck out of enterprise BBOS users, and continues to do so.

Playbook was never widely adopted by enterprise and was supported for four years anyway. Some people are upset because BB10 wasn't ported as planned, but it's a very small group. Most PlayBook owners accepted that risk as early adopters.

BB10 has obviously not been dropped yet. It is supported and will be for a while. No one should expect anything more than security patches and bug fixes, but for many of us, that's just fine.

You're right that IT managers have received a clear signal about the future of BB10, but there's no reason to expect that BlackBerry will suddenly stop patching the OS anytime soon. We know that two scheduled patches have been announced. After that, I would expect all will depend on the need. If there is a major security vulnerability, it will likely get patched, but BlackBerry will likely announce a formal EOL at some point in 2016 or 2017, especially if it's comfortable that its core enterprise customers are certifying the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-17-16 04:15 AM
40 12