Hello, I'm new here. Also I'm 24. just saying that now since this post will make you think I'm about 60

I'm finally thinking about upgrading to a smartphone (I'm one of the 5 people who still owns a T9 phone), and after some looking around I'm thinking a Blackberry might be right for me. Right now I'm just trying to figure out which one I should go for. I think the main competition is between the Passport and the Priv. I was hoping to get some input from this community since I really don't know much about how smartphones work.

What I want: I'll be honest, up until about 3 hours ago I had no idea Blackberry even still made phones, although I will say now I've started to look at them I think they are pretty awesome. I need to have a physical keyboard and it seems like Blackberry is about the only company that still does that. I do not want to use a pure touch screen both because it feels really awkward to me (which I admit isn't the best reason) and because feeling the keys lets you, with enough practice, text without looking at your phone.

What I'll use it for: I can't bring a phone in to work, and at home I have a desktop, so I really just want a smartphone to check my email and browse the internet when I'm not home. I also want GPS directions integrated with something like Google maps (I'm guessing that's pretty much a given on any smartphone). As far as apps and things, I can't use them now so I don't really know how useful they could be. I think you can get pretty much any Android app running on the passport if you are willing to go code monkey on it, but I imagine the priv does it a lot easier. It would be nice to actually have access to the apps everyone else uses, just in case I ever want to do social things on my smartphone.

Design: On a purely personal level, the passport just looks amazing. I love the fact that it has real corners as opposed to rounding them off like everyone does these days. It's also built like a tank. I am very hard on my devices as far as dropping them and letting them get knocked around, so knowing that it won't break is a big plus. The priv doesn't look as good, and I'm not sure if it's built as tough, but it does seem like it has more powerful processing and graphics hardware (although I have no idea how much that matters on a phone).

Last thoughts: I use Gmail so I don't think the added privacy of the blackberry os would matter much since I'm pretty sure google reads my email anyway. Also it seems like the only cell companies that support blackberry are AT&T and T-Mobile. Any thoughts on how those two compare? I've accepted the fact I'll probably have to buy the phone first then walk into the store and ask to get it activated on their network, so phone availability isn't really a big deal
    11-20-15 10:00 PM
    I'd get a Passport and try it. If you don't like it get the Priv. Android apps are doable but they aren't great and can mess up your battery life. It's also sometimes a hassle dealing with getting Google services to run on it. Or you could just try Balckberry maps and see if that will work for you.

Don't think the Passport can't break. It's had some build quality issues with the screen separating and it can bend and it can break if you drop it like any other phone. You'll have to take care of it just like you would any other phone.
    11-20-15 10:19 PM
    ANY BB10 device is a champion where your needs are concern. But Passort is surely the beast of whole another level. It IS built like a tank. Just don't get it drown.

Go get it. I guarantee you won't regret it. Can't say the same for Priv, though. Don't believe me? Go ahead and try them both. See which one you'll like best. Passport will come on top.
    11-20-15 10:23 PM
    The Passport is a great device. The hardware works well on BB10, but there is the potential that Blackberry may cease to support it within the next 24 months.

That said, I do love my Passport. The keyboard is amazing, as is the "touch" features of the keyboard. I did install Cobalt's Play Store hack (available here on CB) and pretty much all of the android apps I need function well. If you are interested in a PKB, you can't do better than the Passport in my opinion.

Most reviews on the Priv have been good. There are apparently a few quirks to work through, but the device seems promising. The form factor doesn't work for me, and once I got comfortable with BB10, I honestly love the OS. I am a long time Blackberry user though so I may be slightly biased.

Good luck on your search!

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 10:39 PM
    Go get a passport if that's what you think would be best for you. It's built amazingly and I can definitely see mine lasting for more than just a few years. The keyboard is pretty great too and has a fair amount of travel and an easy layout so if you want eyes-free typing I think its a good choice. Best of luck to you!

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 10:41 PM
    Hello, I'm new here. Also I'm 24. just saying that now since this post will make you think I'm about 60

I'm finally thinking about upgrading to a smartphone (I'm one of the 5 people who still owns a T9 phone), and after some looking around I'm thinking a Blackberry might be right for me. Right now I'm just trying to figure out which one I should go for. I think the main competition is between the Passport and the Priv. I was hoping to get some input from this community since I really don't know much about how smartphones work.

What I want: I'll be honest, up until about 3 hours ago I had no idea Blackberry even still made phones, although I will say now I've started to look at them I think they are pretty awesome. I need to have a physical keyboard and it seems like Blackberry is about the only company that still does that. I do not want to use a pure touch screen both because it feels really awkward to me (which I admit isn't the best reason) and because feeling the keys lets you, with enough practice, text without looking at your phone.

What I'll use it for: I can't bring a phone in to work, and at home I have a desktop, so I really just want a smartphone to check my email and browse the internet when I'm not home. I also want GPS directions integrated with something like Google maps (I'm guessing that's pretty much a given on any smartphone). As far as apps and things, I can't use them now so I don't really know how useful they could be. I think you can get pretty much any Android app running on the passport if you are willing to go code monkey on it, but I imagine the priv does it a lot easier. It would be nice to actually have access to the apps everyone else uses, just in case I ever want to do social things on my smartphone.

Design: On a purely personal level, the passport just looks amazing. I love the fact that it has real corners as opposed to rounding them off like everyone does these days. It's also built like a tank. I am very hard on my devices as far as dropping them and letting them get knocked around, so knowing that it won't break is a big plus. The priv doesn't look as good, and I'm not sure if it's built as tough, but it does seem like it has more powerful processing and graphics hardware (although I have no idea how much that matters on a phone).

Last thoughts: I use Gmail so I don't think the added privacy of the blackberry os would matter much since I'm pretty sure google reads my email anyway. Also it seems like the only cell companies that support blackberry are AT&T and T-Mobile. Any thoughts on how those two compare? I've accepted the fact I'll probably have to buy the phone first then walk into the store and ask to get it activated on their network, so phone availability isn't really a big deal
    Passport se imo is the best looking phone ever. Google maps will require jumping through hoops.

The priv will give you all the apps you want with no hassle at all.

Do your own research though as this place is a crab bucket.
    11-20-15 11:12 PM
    I never had the opportunity to use a passport, but I like my z30. No pkb, but I'm speaking of the os itself. It's great. BlackBerry maps works fine most of the time. I have exactly 4 android apps on my phone right now that I rarely use. For that matter, I have several BlackBerry apps that I don't use any of them daily aside from sms. If you can survive without snapchat and being a slave to face book, then I recommend going with the passport. If you need all that stuff and think you gotta do what everyone else is doing, then go with the Priv.

Posted with my still awesome z30.
    11-20-15 11:51 PM
    You may want to consider a BlackBerry Q10 and the BlackBerry Classic which are still available. From what I read you seem to be a BlackBerry10 person. BeMaps is a great Google Maps app.

Good luck on your decision and I would like to hear how you like BlackBerry if you do decide to try it.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 12:12 AM
    Save your money and get a Q5 assuming that you can find one inexpensive.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 12:54 AM
    Blackberry Passport is the choice no doubt. The Priv still has a long way to go as far as updating to the newest software, possible bugs, and adding new features.

The maps on blackberry are surprisingly very good, I'd say it's a better version of Google maps. And it doesn't stalk you. Google has you tracked down. It knows what time you get to work and will tell you what the traffic is like without even you telling it. I would also go running every night so Google would pop out and tell me what the traffic was like to run at my favorite spot. Scary...

The apps are flawless. I downloaded the playstore. The only app you will not have is snapchat. And the android facebook won't login for some reason on my passport but there's the bb10 version that is kinda outdated but using the browser version sucks up less battery anyway Everything else seems to work.

It will take a day or two to get used to but you will love it. I'd say to go for the silver edition. It's beautiful. The original one too is very gorgeous but the metal framing makes it hard to grip on and can slip off your hand. Still won't break the screen though lol. It's tough, unlike the iphone

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 01:06 AM
    Get the Blackberry Passport Silver Edition. It is simply awesome and unique. You will definitely love it.

  
    bap3221 and Jay Wright2 like this.
    11-21-15 01:20 AM
    You may want to consider a BlackBerry Q10 and the BlackBerry Classic which are still available. From what I read you seem to be a BlackBerry10 person. BeMaps is a great Google Maps app.

Good luck on your decision and I would like to hear how you like BlackBerry if you do decide to try it.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry man but I gotta disagree. I went from a passport to a classic back to the se passport. The only thing I enjoyed was how small the classic was and comfort in my pocket. Other than that, it was laggy on apps and slow at times. The passport is straight flawless. Never had a problem with it.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 01:36 AM
    Do your own research though as this place is a crab bucket.
    Hah, 'crab bucket.' I like it.
    11-21-15 04:42 AM
    Passport SE

I've had z10, z30, regular Passport and now the SE

SE rocks

I have several android apps, for my baby cams, weather cams, grocery apps, flyer apps, point cards apps

I have Snap installed, very easy to do

If you get the SE, you likely won't use your desktop for Web browsing anymore!

Also, speaker is loud!!! Great for background music or watching vids

That's my 5cents

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 04:51 AM
    Coming from a passport owner, I think for your needs, it would be the better choice. I have the google playstore on mine. Apps are honestly overrated, as I can pretty well do anything via the browser if I can't run the corresponding app (snapchat aside since I don't use it). If however, you're worried about apps in the future, the Priv will be the better choice for you. In all honesty, that's really all it has over the passport, and it'll be better to view multimedia content on due to the 16:9 format.

Either way, good luck, and keep us updated which device you go with and what your thoughts on it is.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 05:29 AM
    Passport sounds just right for you.

The browser and touch physical keyboard make Web browsing a dream. The stock browser using duck duck go search engine is a great combo for non tracking searches.

Looking at Word docs or spreadsheets is a breeze.

It blends to your laptop and battery life is amazing. So u don't ever worry about it.

You might find that once you get used to the keyboard you start to use the laptop less and less.

I would recommend getting a red one just for the wow factor too!
    11-21-15 06:28 AM
    Going from a T9 to the Passport...sounds like a size-blow.

Get a Classic....done.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 06:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol right.
    11-21-15 06:46 AM
    What is it with these ''convince me'' ''sell me' threads? Make your own independent decisions.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-21-15 07:12 AM
    Lol right.
    Didn't you hear? It put Dell out of business.
    donnation likes this.
    11-21-15 07:16 AM

I'm 60. just saying that now since this post will make you think I'm about 24.

OMG Passport is totally killing it!
    TheBirdDog likes this.
    11-21-15 07:34 AM
    Thank you all so much for being helpful. I really appreciate the friendly community. Just wanted to get some advise before I spend enough money I would regret spending it wrong

I have several android apps, for my baby cams, weather cams, grocery apps, flyer apps, point cards apps

I have Snap installed, very easy to do

That's pretty much everything I need to hear. I'm not sure it will replace my desktop, but I might finally be able to toss the ancient failing laptop that is permanently plugged in by my bed to watch youtube videos on!

So I'm going to be buying a passport. Anybody have an opinion on carriers? From what I see T-Mobile costs a lot less, but the reception is worse. Is that about right?
    11-21-15 08:02 AM
    Carriers, I can't help you there, I'm in canada. I bought mine from shopblackberry, unlocked

Good luck and let us know if you need any help installing Snap

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 08:25 AM
    Didn't you hear? It put Dell out of business.
    Yeah, I heard that! It instantly replaces your laptop for everything lol.
    11-21-15 10:48 AM

So I'm going to be buying a passport. Anybody have an opinion on carriers? From what I see T-Mobile costs a lot less, but the reception is worse. Is that about right?
    The carrier choice really depends on your geography. T-Mobile is fine in a major metro area, especially on the west coast of the US. AT&T has the best overall coverage. I do not live in a large metro city and T-Mobile has some dead zones. With AT&T I can pull full LTE in almost every area.

The best option is really to buy an unlocked device and that would work on any GSM network. Metro PCS is the T-Mobile "pay as you go" network and works well in most of the major metro areas. I have an AT&T non contract "shared" plan for three lines. Unlimited Talk ( I use my phone as "phone"), unlimited text, and 15 GB of data for $130 USD per month.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 11:36 AM
49 12