I've done several searches but can't find previous threads about this, so I'm posting...

Recently, I have found myself on several trails where there are no mileage markers. Since I'm trying to train for a half marathon, I'm a little obsessed about my progress, which helps motivate me. Sure, I can use a pedometer but don't know how accurate it really is, and I don't have one of those fitness watches/belt yet, so I'm looking for an easy-to-use free app on my BB Bold (Verizon in case it matters) in the meantime.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
    04-26-12 12:58 AM
    I would check out Endomondo! The pro version is free right now courtesy of BlackBerry, and it's got a lot of features.

Free Endomondo Sports Tracker PRO - Compliments of BlackBerry - Download Endomondo Sports Tracker PRO - Compliments of BlackBerry - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    04-26-12 01:18 AM
    Runtastic Lite is another free option, very similar to Endomondo. Of the two, I find Runtastic marginally easier to use.

Both are good for measuring your overall distance and average speed. However, they're only as accurate as the built-in GPS. On a suburban walk at a constant 3 MPH, both showed my walking speed ranging between 0.5 and 60(!) MPH. I could see the distortion when I mapped my GPS track. At certain points it looked like I teleported half a block down the street! I would hope it tracks better at a run.
    04-27-12 02:53 PM
    Try Nogago. Works really well, unless you have a locked down BlackBerry. The App needs to reset the security timeout.

He also sells downloadable maps in great detail (eg just about every path in the Lake District, so you can get off the top of the mountain in the fog without going over a cliff!) - my work BlackBerry is locked down.

I think there's a demo too.
    01-28-13 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD